08-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Toons 23-19
Sox 22-19
Royals 17-24
Tigers 18-26
Twinkies 11-30 gotta love it

El Train
08-23-2001, 11:08 PM
sounds like albert belle numbers when he was on the sox: sub par 1st half, but nice second half

ma-gaga
08-24-2001, 08:48 AM
oof. Here's the Twins record against their post allstar opponents. Some of these are understandable, some are incredible... (Tampa Bay?):

Seattle (0-7)
Cleveland (1-5)
at St. Louis (0-3)
Toronto (2-5)
Tampa Bay (1-6)
Oakland (3-2)
Milwaukee (2-1)
KC (2-1)

I guess trading away your best OBP player, and having no hitting will really screw your team up. I'm starting to believe that 'life IS OBP'.

balz1472
08-24-2001, 09:14 AM
ma-gaga... you are dead on track... they say pitching wins games and i am a strong advocate of that fact, but the twins had the pitching... and the hitting... now they don't have either!

lose your catalyst and the wheels fall off!

looking into the future... i would have to say that the sox have a catalyst in Aaron Rowand... he is our Lawton of the future, hopefully dumb ass KW realizes that! JUST A THOUGHT!

Randar68
08-24-2001, 09:32 AM
looking into the future... i would have to say that the sox have a catalyst in Aaron Rowand... he is our Lawton of the future, hopefully dumb ass KW realizes that! JUST A THOUGHT!

Well, based on past performance, Rowand will never be a .400 OBP, 30 SB guy.....which is what Lawton was....

Rowand is having good success and has shown that he can hit Major League pitching in his short stay thus far. It seems he has cut his swing down, which has cost him power, but made him a better overall hitter by reducing his K's and it let's him see the pitch a little longer, improving his plate discipline...

balz1472
08-24-2001, 09:44 AM
I guess the way to look at is... never say never. He's so young, he still has to get used to the BIGS. We'll see what happens.

But I do agree w/ Randar, he isn't quite Lawton now...

Randar68
08-24-2001, 09:53 AM
But I do agree w/ Randar, he isn't quite Lawton now...

Well, he's 24, now, and his current major league numbers are equal to or better than his first AAA season numbers in Avg and OBP. his slg% seems down a bit.

It is very rare for a player to come this late out of the minors and actually improve his numbers in the move from AAA to the majors. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I think Borchard will probably get precedence when he's ready, and the other options to make room for him aren't all that attractive.

Personally, I think they are showcasing him for a trade next spring training if Borchard wins the job....

LongDistanceFan
08-24-2001, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, he's 24.

Personally, I think they are showcasing him for a trade next spring training if Borchard wins the job....

I agree with this logic. Lets really look at what the future in the "of". Lee, Mags and borchard, being fair to rowan is it fair to keep him as a 4 of. Lets trade him and get a good prospect for him or 2.

Soxboyrob
08-24-2001, 10:14 AM
But do you honestly see Borchard as our next CF? I've never heard a single positive thing uttered about his fielding ability except that he can throw well...actually, I saw that he could throw well in the college world series. Might he end up in LF w/ Lee moving to a position of sharing 1B and DH w/ Frank, while Paulie is dealt? That's still what I expect to happen. Lee MUST be moved out of LF ASAP.

balz1472
08-24-2001, 10:21 AM
I would have to agree with you on the fact that it wouldn't be fair to Rowand to keep him as a 4th OF. I really haven't been able to follow Borchard like I have wanted to, but all I heard is good things about the kid.
What would we try to get for Rowand...? A SS, to build for the future?

In the mindset of the future, what are the Sox plans for Joe Crede? Any ideas?

Randar68
08-24-2001, 10:26 AM
In the mindset of the future, what are the Sox plans for Joe Crede? Any ideas?

Next year's starting 3B. He's been the "3B of the future" for a long time now. If he hit .260, I'd be happy because his defense really is Gold Glove spectacular.....BTW, He will be about 25 by the start of next season, it's now or never....

Tragg
08-24-2001, 11:38 AM
We need a true centerfielder that can also get on base. Borchard appears to have the latter bigtime, but I remain doubtful about the former.

Personally, I think we need to give true consideration to trading Lee or Konerko, with whoever isn't traded playing 1B. We have enough power, and either will bring GREAT value - like a ss and/or cf that we desparately need. Borchard plays left and Rowand is the 4th outfielder, an important position. I think we're offensively and defensively sound that way.

I lean toward keeping Lee. From what I've heard, Lee played a solid third except for the throwing part. But, no big deal either way.

To get something good you must (usually) give something good.