PDA

View Full Version : trade rumors

fquaye149
07-22-2003, 10:21 PM
what are the serious trade rumors for the deadline?

this is of course assuming we don't put them in a position where they need to white flag...that is that we stay around .500?

i know people were talking sidney ponson(which is much more realistic now that konerko is swinging...although why the orioles would want another 1b/dh is beyond me) jeff weaver(ugh), some sort of ss, a real cf, some relief(troy percival in bright pink), jd drew....

i am wondering

a.) what are our serious possibilities of those

and

b.) what is the "deal that would knock our socks off"?

LuvSox
07-22-2003, 11:08 PM
I heard Iraq had offered Uday & Qusay to the Saudi's for the exiled veteran Idi Amin. Not sure where this stands now. :D:

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
b.) what is the "deal that would knock our socks off"?

recalling mike porzio didnt know your socks off? i know it did mine

Daver
07-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I heard Iraq had offered Uday & Qusay to the Saudi's for the exiled veteran Idi Amin. Not sure where this stands now. :D:

The Saudi's backed out.

:redneck

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Saudi's backed out.

:redneck

damn, that had "ShoulderGate" written all over it.

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
damn, that had "ShoulderGate" written all over it.

Hey, if you trade for a "stiff" it's buyer beware...

MHOUSE
07-23-2003, 12:45 AM
I heard that someone out west is interested in Colon. San Fran maybe? I dunno. I haven't heard any solid "in" rumours other than Ponson. I thought the Orioles offered him a contract extension recently. Any news on that?

OEO Magglio
07-23-2003, 01:25 AM
I heard that someone out west is interested in Colon. San Fran maybe? I dunno. I haven't heard any solid "in" rumours other than Ponson. I thought the Orioles offered him a contract extension recently. Any news on that?
Yeah it was said sanfransico was interested in colon, but im sure colon won't be traded unless if they go on a losing streak with in the next week, but then again I'm sure a losing streak would surprise nobody. Baltimore offered ponson a contract extension, he declined and his agent is preparing a counter offer, the o's should know by tomorrow if he's going to sign or not.

Chisoxfn
07-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Giles is on the block and the Pirates have said if someone takes Kendall of their hands they'll give them Giles in a package deal for a few mid level prospects.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Giles is on the block and the Pirates have said if someone takes Kendall of their hands they'll give them Giles in a package deal for a few mid level prospects.

Giles has a list of teams he would be traded to and the White Sox are not on it.

Chisoxfn
07-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Giles has a list of teams he would be traded to and the White Sox are not on it.

Ya, he wouldn't waive it in the past, but who says he won't waive it now. It does make sense that the Padres would be interested in him though, plus they have no catcher and are going to be able to add salary so I could see them acquiring Giles and Kendall for a couple mid level guys.

I do think with the Pirates dumping everyone and the Sox is contention at this point of the game (Also knowing that if they got Kendall and Giles they would both be immediate upgrades this season) then the Sox would become World Series Contenders (On PAPER, which we know means nothing) and I'd think Giles would be convinced.

hold2dibber
07-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Ya, he wouldn't waive it in the past, but who says he won't waive it now. It does make sense that the Padres would be interested in him though, plus they have no catcher and are going to be able to add salary so I could see them acquiring Giles and Kendall for a couple mid level guys.

I do think with the Pirates dumping everyone and the Sox is contention at this point of the game (Also knowing that if they got Kendall and Giles they would both be immediate upgrades this season) then the Sox would become World Series Contenders (On PAPER, which we know means nothing) and I'd think Giles would be convinced.

I can't imagine the Sox taking on Kendall - he has $42 million left on his contract through '06 (I believe). The Sox clearly (and for good reason) see Olivo as holding down the C position for the next 5 or 6 years. He is young, already very good defensively, has good offensive potential, and is dirt cheap. To make it happen, KW would have to get very creative - he'd have to clear salary elsewhere, perhaps by moving Konerko and Lee, or otherwise making it a 3 team trade where the Sox get Giles, someone else gets Kendall and the Sox take on someone else's bad contract at a position with a need (Jeff Weaver?) and move either C Lee or Konerko to clear some payroll space. Seems unlikely to me.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
By the way Rob Neyer on ESPN.com takes a close look at all the contenders needs in today's column.

He also said that Olivo is "killing" the Sox lineup.

Lip

SpringfldFan
07-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
By the way Rob Neyer on ESPN.com takes a close look at all the contenders needs in today's column.

He also said that Olivo is "killing" the Sox lineup.

Lip

He also said that the sox needs were "lady luck". I guess that means he is asserting that the Sox already have enough pieces in place, personnel-wise. Either that or he is saying that the team is so far beyond hope that only luck will save them. You make the call...

FJA
07-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
He also said that the sox needs were "lady luck". I guess that means he is asserting that the Sox already have enough pieces in place, personnel-wise. Either that or he is saying that the team is so far beyond hope that only luck will save them. You make the call...

I think what he means, based on the rest of the article, is that all the pieces are in place, but we need Konerko and Crede to start hitting like they're capable of hitting. In other words, talent is not the problem with the White Sox.

:wanne
"Did someone say all the pieces are in place? You guys need an extra hand?"