PDA

View Full Version : 100 down...62 to go


Lip Man 1
07-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Tommy Lasorda said it best a number of years ago. All teams are going to win 60 games and lose 60 games, it's what you do with the other 40 that counts.

In the same vein the Sox are now 50-50 with 62 games left. What do the remaining games look like?

Let's take a closer look...

The Sox have 31 home and 31 road games left...

The Sox play 39 games against teams with winning marks...
Of those 39 games, 22 are on the road and 17 at home...

They also play Minnesota (around .500) seven times...
Four of the Twins games are at home, three on the road...

Here's the individual winning teams breakdown...

Toronto (2 on the road)
Kansas City (6 at home, 7 on the road)
Seattle (3 on the road)
Oakland (3 at home)
Anaheim (3 at home, 4 on the road)
New York (3 at home, 3 on the road)
Boston (2 at home, 3 on the road)

Not easy is it?

Target win numbers to watch for:

32 wins (means a 'winning' record but that won't win the division)
37 wins (means 87 total and a possible title)
42 wins (means a division title 92 total, and a playoff spot)

What do I think? Based on the Sox erractic history and difficulties winning on the road against ANYBODY, I say 34 more wins, 84 total. A winning season at least but still a major disappointment and more mediocrity.

Hope I'm wrong but we'll see...

Lip

doublem23
07-22-2003, 08:31 PM
2003 American League Central Division Champions.

WillieHarris12
07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
2003 American League Central Division Champions.

I'll second that. I'm guessing 88 is the number to win this dogfight. We can do it. :army

Tragg
07-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Taking a look at the remaining schedule, the Twins have far and away the easiest schedule and we have far and away the toughest. The Twins are about to embark on 20 straight games v. the Orioles, Indians and Tigers. They close the season with 9 straight against the Tigers and Indians. In total, against teams with below .500 records, we have 16 games left, KC has 28 and the Twins have 41. We've played 22 more games against the Indians and Tigers, yet are only about even with the Twins. The breakdown is as follows:
Cleveland: Sox (3), Twins (15), Royals (6)
Tigers: Sox (3), Twins (13), Royals (10)
Rangers: Sox (7), Twins (6), Royals (6)
Devil Rays: Sox (3), Twins (0), Royals (6)
Orioles: Sox (0), Twins (7), Royals (0)

doublem23
07-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Considering this team's tendency to play to its opponent at times, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. :smile:

5 game winning streak... Lovin' it.

Tragg
07-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Considering this team's tendency to play to its opponent at times, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. :smile:

5 game winning streak... Lovin' it.

I sure hope the twins and royals have those tendencies or get them real quick. :cool:

gosox3072
07-22-2003, 11:56 PM
I dont think we should look into the strengh of schedule matter all that much. Take the sox for instance, we (other than the past 5 games) play good vs good teams and we are terrible and lok pathetic vs bad teams. I think we have enough pitching and our hitting will come around enough for us to win 89 games and the division title

Thunderstruck30
07-23-2003, 12:11 AM
The Sox can win this division. They can beat the good teams. They just need to get pumped up for a big series like they did for the Cubs. And maybe a little less tinkering can help.

hose
07-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Lip I'm hoping that the guys that let this team down in the first half come on strong.

Buehrle, Garland, and Konerko are playing much better ball now. Alomar and Everett could also get hot so it all starts today with a 2 game road trip. The road has killed this club and taking 2 from Toronto could set the tone for a good run.

I don't expect Koch to be a factor down the stretch , but the bull pen can still get it done.

gosox41
07-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
I dont think we should look into the strengh of schedule matter all that much. Take the sox for instance, we (other than the past 5 games) play good vs good teams and we are terrible and lok pathetic vs bad teams. I think we have enough pitching and our hitting will come around enough for us to win 89 games and the division title

Don't the Sox always seem to play badly on the West Coast against Oakland, Seattle, and Anaheim?

Bob

Dan H
07-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Don't the Sox always seem to play badly on the West Coast against Oakland, Seattle, and Anaheim?

Bob

Yes, they do, and I have always thought the time change was at least one factor in that.

Otherwise, I want to see the Sox stay over .500 for an extended period of time before I get optimistic about them. I actually think they should win the division. Whether this underachieving team will or not is the real question.

As Lip as broken things down, it won't be easy even with this weak division. They need to get up for every game now. They are not that good to take any team lightly. That means they need to take care of Tampa Bay when those lowlife Devil Rays come into town. No excuse for losing another series to them.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Bob:

Since 2002 their record on the West Coast is like an appaling 3-27 something outrageous like that.

Lip

gosox41
07-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Yes, they do, and I have always thought the time change was at least one factor in that.

Otherwise, I want to see the Sox stay over .500 for an extended period of time before I get optimistic about them. I actually think they should win the division. Whether this underachieving team will or not is the real question.

As Lip as broken things down, it won't be easy even with this weak division. They need to get up for every game now. They are not that good to take any team lightly. That means they need to take care of Tampa Bay when those lowlife Devil Rays come into town. No excuse for losing another series to them.

They may not be that great of a team, but in my piddly mind they are still the most talented team on paper in the AL Central. If only this offense could consistently click on most or all cylinders....

Bob