PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Will Be No Halladay For Sox (really any Halladay pun will work)

scottmt
07-22-2003, 07:34 PM
The Yankees/Blue Jays game today has been called, moving Halladay's scheduled start from today to tomorrow against the Sox. The man hasn't lost since April 15, but here's hoping...

SoxxoS
07-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Crap.

QueerGirrl
07-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Double Crap!!! :whiner:

valposoxfan
07-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Talk about negative destiny. Dammit.

ChiSox7
07-22-2003, 08:14 PM
I agree that its bad luck, but it would be pretty sweet if we could go out and rough him up a little bit. It would shoot our momentum forward even more if we could beat a pitcher that hasnt lost since April. Of course, Buerhle needs to go out and pitch a great game if we are gonna win, but it could be a big momentum builder.

JJAustin69
07-22-2003, 08:21 PM
To be the best, you have to beat the best. Let's GO SOX! :lsox

fquaye149
07-22-2003, 08:38 PM
halladay is one of the single most overrated pitchers in baseball. the equivalent of buehrle last year:) i mean the man wins a lot, but he has an era of 3.6 or higher...i don't know off the top of my head. we're not talking pedro(who we did in fact beat). it's just a workhorse. the question is will halladay get the usual run-suppot he gets?

doublem23
07-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I think the Jays have lost games in that streak, just never with Halladay factoring in the decision.

Bring the bitch on! :angry:

ScottySoxFan
07-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Roy Halladay - 22 App, 14 wins - 2 losses, 2 complete games, 21 walks!, 120 strikeouts, 3.33 ERA, 1.12 WHIP

1st in ML innings pitched
1st in ML wins
Top 10 in SP WHIP
Top 10 in K's
Top 5 in SP Walks allowed
Top 20 in ML SP ERA

I don't think he's overrated at all.

fquaye149
07-22-2003, 10:19 PM
well i feel like he's overrated on account of that mny people seem to think he's the best pitcher in the american league...as evidenced by him getting 60% of the vote for 1st half cy young on espn.com.

now innings pitched is one thing but halladay's only avging 5 and a half innings per start. when you start more games, you'll have more innings. wins are also relative to the run support you get. technically esteban should only have one loss(against seattle), and if he were pitching for toronto he could be 20-0 right now.

he has good control, but up till about 4 starts ago his era was pushing 4. he's had a few good starts recently which helped bring it down...but he's not one of the elite pitchers in the al just as buehrle wasn't one of the elite last year

ehm
07-22-2003, 10:47 PM
now innings pitched is one thing but halladay's only avging 5 and a half innings per start. when you start more games, you'll have more innings.

actually, he's averaging over 7 1/3 innings per start, which i'd say is pretty good (22 starts, 162 innings)

the key is his control, only 21 walks in 162 is pretty impressive.

Daver
07-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ehm
actually, he's averaging over 7 1/3 innings per start, which i'd say is pretty good (22 starts, 162 innings)

the key is his control, only 21 walks in 162 is pretty impressive.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

ehm
07-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey welcome aboard!

thanks, didn't realize i had never posted here, been enjoying these forums since the start of the 2001 season.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Halladay would not look as appealing right now if he didnt have the high powered offense that toronto has. so the sox pitchers just have to shut the jays down, that is the key.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
AND if the cubs can beat Dontrelle Willis, surely the Sox can stop Roy Halladay.

SluggersAway
07-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Let's knock him down a few pegs and get that ERA soaring...

Thunderstruck30
07-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Sorry if I sound pessimistic but it looks like Hawk is going to keep his hair for now.

gosox41
07-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
halladay is one of the single most overrated pitchers in baseball. the equivalent of buehrle last year:) i mean the man wins a lot, but he has an era of 3.6 or higher...i don't know off the top of my head. we're not talking pedro(who we did in fact beat). it's just a workhorse. the question is will halladay get the usual run-suppot he gets?

I wish the Sox had Halladay. I think he's good.

Bob

fquaye149
07-23-2003, 09:22 AM
^ no doubt about it. i would take a right handed clone of mark buehrle even in a second. i just think halladay's highly overrated. we wouldn't $$$$ our pants if we were going against mark mulder, and mulder's a better pitcher. same with mussina, hudson, jason schmidt. i don't think halladay's a top 10 pitcher in the majors this year, but he is definitely solid

overrated, but solid

daveb816
07-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Tough break, but Sox have had many good breaks so far in this regard - missed Schmidt, Kevin Brown and Nomo, got Pedro on a limited pitch count and missed Prior TWICE.

adsit
07-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Watched him pitch against Boston at Sky Dome a few weeks ago. Halladay held them scoreless for about six innings, then started to fall apart... gave up a homerun to Doug Mirabelli... the game eventually went extra innings.

So while we probably won't beat Halladay, we can certainly hope to outlast him. I don't think he's got enough gas for a complete game these days.

Dave

kempsted
07-23-2003, 11:22 AM
I was listing to the Giants broadcast last night and John Miller mentioned that the Yankees were the only game on the east coast (and there were several) that rained out. He said they have done that several times in NY always when they were facing someone hot. He mentioned that they have rained out some games at 11:00 am this year and have it clear at game time.

I thought this was an interesting conspiracy theory. If it is true it shows how some owners are really more serious about wining than others. Yankees win at any cost vs. White Sox - well we are selling beer and it is only 10:00 pm.

harwar
07-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Halladay is one of the best pitchers in the AL.He has a career era of 3.94 in 130 games(737 innings) & opposing BA of 261.Against the Sox he is 1-1 in 3 starts with an era of 2.76,opposing BA of 211.He would fit nicely in our rotation.This year,at home,he is 5-1 with an era of 3.63,so Buehrle just has to keep the bluejays under 3.6 runs.I have a bad feeling about this one.

gosox41
07-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Watched him pitch against Boston at Sky Dome a few weeks ago. Halladay held them scoreless for about six innings, then started to fall apart... gave up a homerun to Doug Mirabelli... the game eventually went extra innings.

So while we probably won't beat Halladay, we can certainly hope to outlast him. I don't think he's got enough gas for a complete game these days.

Dave

If the Sox want to outlast Halladay then they need to work the counts much better. No more swinging at first pitches like Carlos loves to do.

Bob

voodoochile
07-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If the Sox want to outlast Halladay then they need to work the counts much better. No more swinging at first pitches like Carlos loves to do.

Bob

With the amount of walks he gives up, I feel the exact opposite. The guys is going to throw strikes and that means you look for a good pitch to hit and swing. If that is the first pitch, so be it.

This should be a pretty quick game...

FarmerAndy
07-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Halladay is not overrated.

I'm not bummed that we have to face him either. This is good. Everybody seems all optimistic again because we just won 5 in a row against no-talent teams.

Tonight's game will show us how real the Sox are. If they can beat Halladay, then I might regain a little faith in them.

Yeah, we have alot of games with the Royals left, but it's going to take alot more than those games to win this thing. We have to face some real talent in the last 62 games (Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners). If the Sox are for real, we need to prove we can hang with the big boys. So I say BRING ON HALLADAY!