PDA

View Full Version : Everett: Tool or Good Guy?

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
I saw this in today's Trib. I like it.
When Carl Everett drove in two runs with a clutch two-out single Monday, it seemed obvious the veteran outfielder had just enjoyed his best moment since joining the White Sox on July 1.

Everett didn't see it that way.

"No, my best moment was when Frank [Thomas] battled in that one at-bat [against Minnesota] and then went deep to win the game," Everett said, referring to the Sox's 8-6 victory on July 2. "I don't ever have any selfish moments. If you want any selfish moments from me, you'll never get them out of my mouth."

34rancher
07-22-2003, 06:03 PM
I like this one from Whitesox.com better.

After suiting up in jersey No. 27 when he first arrived from Texas, Carl Everett will wear No. 5 for the rest of the season.

"I don't like double-digit numbers, except for 34," said Everett with a smile of his number change.

The significance of 34 is for Kirby Puckett, whom Everett said really got him into playing baseball. But that number belongs to pitching coach Don Cooper, and Everett doesn't intend to ask him to change.
"

Maybe it is just the 34 thing though. :D:

MikeKreevich
07-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Everett plays hard and runs out every groundball. We haven't seen him get hot at the plate yet. I vote Good Guy.

doublem23
07-22-2003, 08:34 PM
While I suspect that maybe he's not quite playing with a full deck, I think being in a winning atmosphere is good for him, and I really, really think that he wants to win, so I'll chalk him up to being a good guy. When he was traded here earlier in the month, he was all about saying how good it fealt to be "wanted." If he's really a tool, he's doing a damn fine job keeping it hidden.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2003, 08:38 PM
I think being on a team that has a chance to win has been good for Everett. He seems to be one of those people who is happier when things are going well. It's when things aren't going well that his attitude starts to worsen.

FJA
07-22-2003, 09:18 PM
I met Everett at FanFest, and IMO he was the nicest guy there, and I met quite a few. (I worked there, so I was there every day.)

Saracen
07-22-2003, 09:43 PM
I think being on a team that has a chance to win has been good for Everett. He seems to be one of those people who is happier when things are going well. It's when things aren't going well that his attitude starts to worsen.
Carl was on one of the worst teams in baseball here in Texas. He never did a thing wrong, never had a bad word for anyone. He's a nice guy in most situations, regardless of winning or losing.

1951Campbell
07-22-2003, 10:39 PM
I lived in Boston during the Carl Everett era. This is what I remember:

The first half of his first season with the Red Sox, he was the best everyday player on the team. Sorry, Nomar.

He got a lot of crap for allegedly during a blind eye to his wife beating their kids, but this was never substantiated.

We all know about the dinosaurs.

He got in a fistfight with Darren Lewis (!).

Jimy Williams hated him, and Carl hated Jimy back.

You may remember the game where he was hassled by the home plate umpire for rubbing out the back line of the batters' box. He got in the ump's face to argue, and Carl was yelling at the ump. Carl was yelling with great gusto right in his face, and obviously when you do that your head moves. Well, the ump pretended that he got a head butt and flopped like he was an NBA player or a soccer player. Carl got ejected and threw a cooler on the field. I still maintain the ump was faking; I can't blame Carl all that much, if at all.

Carl was caught on tape telling a Boston Globe reporter that he wouldn't answer any question from that reporter or that reporter's "curly-headed girlfriend," an obvious reference to Curse of the Bambino pimp Dan Shaunessy.

That's a lot of history I remember. I voted weird, jury's still out. I lived in Boston, and it made me angry at the world, too. That town sucks and I'd like to give a guy who hit over .300 and more than 30 HRs the benefit of the doubt now that he's playing for the Right Sox.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 11:31 PM
I think the media has made him out to be a complete weirdo. Sure he has some different beliefs, but who the hell cares if he believes dinosaurs roamed the earth, as long as he is putting up numbers. So he blew up in Boston with that umpire, Chicago put up with Dennis Rodman, im sure it can survive Carl Everett. I dont think he is a bad guy.