PDA

View Full Version : Seen this song and dance before

Chisox353014
07-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, here we are again...Sox on a minor roll, back within shouting distance of first, back to .500, offense cranking out homers left and right. Will it be different this time around? Or is another week or two of craptacular baseball right around the corner? We've been burned a few times this year. What does everyone think? Have they turned it around for real this time?

Foulke You
07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm taking the cautious optimism approach again. Many of us here predicted a turnaround when the team returned for a homestand. Winning at home has not been an issue with this team. Currently our home record stands at 12 over .500 and that gets the job done. We'll see what we do on the next critical road trips. We have 2 in Toronto and end the month with a HUGE 3 game trip to Kaufman to play the division leading Royals. We won't make any kind of run in this division until we start playing good baseball on the road. I'm happy we're winning but I'm not making any October plans yet.

FJA
07-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'm taking the cautious optimism approach again. Many of us here predicted a turnaround when the team returned for a homestand. Winning at home has not been an issue with this team. Currently our home record stands at 12 over .500 and that gets the job done. We'll see what we do on the next critical road trips. We have 2 in Toronto and end the month with a HUGE 3 game trip to Kaufman to play the division leading Royals. We won't make any kind of run in this division until we start playing good baseball on the road. I'm happy we're winning but I'm not making any October plans yet.

Ditto ... I'm confident we can beat TB at home this weekend. Toronto is a big test. It would worry me going into KC on a 10-game win streak, but I think it's very possible, especially with the pitching matchups in Toronto. The great thing about winning in Toronto, if we can pull it off, is that we have to gain ground on someone given that KC visits the baggie dome.

The other great thing about winning in Toronto is that it presents a very good chance that someone will be getting a haircut.

:hawk
"I loooove a clean shave"

:jerry
"Don't forget about me! I said I'd do something if we win 10 in a row ... Connie's for everyone!"

FJA
07-22-2003, 04:07 PM
What I meant was that we can potentially gain ground on KC or either gain ground on Minn OR build a lead on them.

jeremyb1
07-22-2003, 04:13 PM
we've really only done this once before. as terrible as the road trip we had against tb and detroit was, now that we've shown we can still play good ball that shouldn't be enough to convince anyone this team won't challenge for the division crown.

Foulke You
07-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by FJA
What I meant was that we can potentially gain ground on KC or either gain ground on Minn OR build a lead on them.

Hopefully Seattle will get their stuff together and do us a favor tonight and take care of the Twinks and put us in 2nd place. Freddy Garcia vs. Rick Reed.

Mammoo
07-22-2003, 04:23 PM
...after the trip to Kansas City and Seatlle. :?:

Rocky Soprano
07-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Show some spirit guys, the team has been playing good. Will they turn things around? Who knows, but for once lets enjoy the fact that our team is on a winning streak! :gulp:

Chisox353014
07-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Show some spirit guys, the team has been playing good. Will they turn things around? Who knows, but for once lets enjoy the fact that our team is on a winning streak! :gulp:

Hey I'm enjoying it (beats the heck out of losing to Detroit and Cleveland), but it seems every time we're on the cusp of doing something good, we fall apart for a few games. I'm just skeptical is all.

34rancher
07-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

I think what frustrates several people is that we are only 11 victories behind the best record in the American League. Think of how many blown saves, dumb base running mistakes, and other little thinks that have cost us. And you get ARRRRGGGHHH and UUUUGGGGHHH! But, there are 62 games left. Win 40 and I think you win the division.

Rocky Soprano
07-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Hey I'm enjoying it (beats the heck out of losing to Detroit and Cleveland), but it seems every time we're on the cusp of doing something good, we fall apart for a few games. I'm just skeptical is all.

I know what you mean, but hey you never know, maybe this time its for real. :)

I think its finally OUR time. :gulp:

hold2dibber
07-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
we've really only done this once before. as terrible as the road trip we had against tb and detroit was, now that we've shown we can still play good ball that shouldn't be enough to convince anyone this team won't challenge for the division crown.

I've read this three times and I still don't understand it. :?:

Whachu talkin' 'bout, Jeremy? Are you saying that playing good ball now should convince people that this team will challenge for the division crown, or that the fact that the team is playing good ball now shouldn't convince anyone that the team will challenge for the division crown? I'm flumoxed, discombobulated and highly confusicated!

And by the way, I am convinced that this team can and should contend for the division crown. I am not at all convinced, however, that it will contend for the division crown.

bobj4400
07-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Tomorrow night's game is the biggest game of the year for the Sox...they are at the dreaded .500 mark again. Will they actually get a win this time? Everytime they have gotten to this point in the last few years, they have choked. If we win tomorrow night, I will start to believe the rest of the season can be miraculous.

JJAustin69
07-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah, when they were 42-42 I didn't think they would be 50-50 at this point or that I would be grateful to be 50-50. If you look at the schedule for August, KC, Seattle, Oakland, Yankees all in there. The KC series at the end of this month and beginning of August are huge. A split isn't really good enough. We really need to take both of those series.

gosox41
07-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Tomorrow night's game is the biggest game of the year for the Sox...they are at the dreaded .500 mark again. Will they actually get a win this time? Everytime they have gotten to this point in the last few years, they have choked. If we win tomorrow night, I will start to believe the rest of the season can be miraculous.

You're more optimistic then I am. This team has been nothing but average for over 3 years (I consider the second half of 2000 an average half.) They've kept the same core of players but tons of other players have come and gone and all we've heard is that this is our time. This team has a lot to prove then can live up to their hype. There is no doubt in my mind they have greatly underacheived for the last 3 years. Sure they have holes, but don't the Twins and the Royals. They're hardly the '27 Yanks. The fact that this team struggles to be average in the weakest division in baseball makes it all that much worse. They'd be a terrible team if in any other division except maybe the NL Central.

So while I watch every game and get excited when they win, I refuse to get my hopes up too high. It's hard to do and I want this team to go far. But the recent history has taught me many lessons. From extended slumps to lack of fundamentals to key injuries at inopportune times to choking in big games/series'.

Maybe this time will be different. I certainly hope so. But help me out here. Why should things be any different now then the last 3 years. How many more excuses/supposed bad luck can there be with this team?

Bob

FarmerAndy
07-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, it's nice to see them play better baseball. It's nice to see them finally beat teams that they should beat. It's all very nice, and I enjoy them game by game. BUT..........

They are 50 - 50 right now. To win 90 games this team would have to go 40-22 over the last 62. They would have to play .600+ baseball the rest of the way. Needless to say, my hopes aren't very high.

FJA
07-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Hopefully Seattle will get their stuff together and do us a favor tonight and take care of the Twinks and put us in 2nd place. Freddy Garcia vs. Rick Reed.

Garcia and Seattle ain't doing us any favors so far. (7-3 in the third.)

jeremyb1
07-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've read this three times and I still don't understand it. :?:

Whachu talkin' 'bout, Jeremy? Are you saying that playing good ball now should convince people that this team will challenge for the division crown, or that the fact that the team is playing good ball now shouldn't convince anyone that the team will challenge for the division crown? I'm flumoxed, discombobulated and highly confusicated!

And by the way, I am convinced that this team can and should contend for the division crown. I am not at all convinced, however, that it will contend for the division crown.

the first post said that the team has played well like this before only to fold but i was saying that since we started to struggle a couple weeks into the season, we've only rebounded and then played poorly again once which was when we fell apart on the tampa bay and detroit road trip. i'm saying that since we've now shown we're capable of playing good baseball again, it would be wrong to read too much into that one poor road trip and assume this team can't sustain momentum.