PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, I Must Say It...

Mammoo
07-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Farmer and Rooney are very lame!

A.T. Money
07-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Farmer and Rooney are very lame!

I feel that way at times.....

Farmer to me is just extremely WEIRD! The things he says are just bizarre. He is dry and makes me tired in my cubical.

SoxxoS
07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Rooney is an EXCELLENT color commentary guy.

npdempse
07-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Farmer is DEEP; well, relative to most sportscasters anyhow. You have to pay serious attention to them sometimes to have a clue what they're talking about, or the next thing you know you're just listening to two guys having a conversation about slip&slides and firecrackers on Throop St...very entertaining, but pretty demanding to listen to. And they call a pretty good game in between all the color.

You want lame, listen to Santo for .4 seconds.

mandmandm
07-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Wierd and deep are good! Only thing that bugs me about Farmer is huge Notre Dame fandom and his blatant support for the war hawks in the White House.

Gumshoe
07-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Farmer is the worst announcer EVER. The only things he talks about are home runs and "Let's see him hit one here ...."

Usually he doesn't talk about baseball and if he does, it's bad. Rooney is ok. The combo of Wills - Rooney is FAR better.

FARMER is the worst.

I hope he stays away from Toronto again just in case I have to listen to the radio. He sucks so bad, it really really hurts

Gum

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Farmer is the worst announcer EVER. The only things he talks about are home runs and "Let's see him hit one here ...."

Usually he doesn't talk about baseball and if he does, it's bad. Rooney is ok. The combo of Wills - Rooney is FAR better.

FARMER is the worst.

I hope he stays away from Toronto again just in case I have to listen to the radio. He sucks so bad, it really really hurts

Gum

I agree ... I love Rooney. Farmer I could do without, but I prefer him to either of the Flubbie guys.

Clembasbal
07-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Farmer is a Rtia Man like myself, but I have to agree with some of you guys he is lame. He is not terrible, nor is he the worst. Santo has the worst baseball knowledge, and radio voice ever. And Joe Morgan, is terrible...some of you might like him, but I liked Ryno Sandberg and if I hear Morgan say one more thing about how how he was way better than Sandberg, because Sandberg was a true 3B and not a 2B, I will go nuts.

But Go SOX!, and Willis and Rooney rock!

Gumshoe
07-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Come on, I am not a cub fan at all but I"ll say that their main announcer, the play by play guy is REAL good.

he and wills/rooney would be the best combo of all chicago

G

Gumshoe
07-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Farmer is a Rtia Man like myself, but I have to agree with some of you guys he is lame. He is not terrible, nor is he the worst. Santo has the worst baseball knowledge, and radio voice ever. And Joe Morgan, is terrible...some of you might like him, but I liked Ryno Sandberg and if I hear Morgan say one more thing about how how he was way better than Sandberg, because Sandberg was a true 3B and not a 2B, I will go nuts.

But Go SOX!, and Willis and Rooney rock!

I agree, but I think Morgan is good. He's just EXTREMELY biased about his generation/teams. Did you read moneyball at the end where Lewis points out the ironic nature of his game calling during the Minne-Oak series when he talks about manufacturing runs while the A's are dropping bombs? That was really funny/cool.

G

Clembasbal

FARMER is the worst.

Gum

He said he lost his Birth Cert. so he can't go, acting on your wish!

MarqSox
Come on, I am not a cub fan at all but I"ll say that their main announcer, the play by play guy is REAL good.

G

Pat Hughes?? He's not annoying like Santo or bizarre like Farmer ... he's just painfully boring.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-22-2003, 04:21 PM

G

Pat Hughes can get a little too poetic sometimes for my taste.

Clembasbal
07-22-2003, 04:22 PM

G

I was not bashing the other guy, I just said Santo was terrible...and he is. The other guy has a dry voice but he is not half bad (and I am not a Flub fan either)

Chisox353014
07-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I agree ... I love Rooney. Farmer I could do without, but I prefer him to either of the Flubbie guys.

God, Hughes and Santo are nearly unlistenable. Every once in a while I'll tune them in while jogging (if there's no Sox game on). They go minutes sometimes without describing what's actually happening in the game:

"Here's Sosa. He's 0-5 with 4 strikeouts today"

"blah blah blah, random story for 5 minutes......."

"Strike 3 swinging, Sosa goes down on a 3-2 count after fouling off 7 pitches"

I have to say, hearing Santo groaning when something bad happens to the Flubs is pretty funny though.

A.T. Money
07-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Rooney is an EXCELLENT color commentary guy.

Rooney isn't the color guy, that would be Farmer.

B. Diddy
07-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Rooney isn't the color guy, that would be Farmer.

Not exactly the most "colorful" of the color guys (unless you really like golf), though.

Actually, Farmer does do play-by-play sometimes (Rooney seems to be absent when he does... perhaps he's eating lunch or something).

FWIW, I'd take Farmer and Rooney over Miller and Morgan any day. I can't stand those two dolts...

A.T. Money
07-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Not exactly the most "colorful" of the color guys (unless you really like golf), though.

Actually, Farmer does do play-by-play sometimes (Rooney seems to be absent when he does... perhaps he's eating lunch or something).

FWIW, I'd take Farmer and Rooney over Miller and Morgan any day. I can't stand those two dolts...

Yeah you're right, Farmer does do play by play, but so does DJ for one or two innings.

People were saying how much better Rooney and Farmer are over Hawk and DJ, but I totally disagree. Hawk and DJ are smart guys, and it's good to get their opinion. They even make me laugh sometimes because of the way they laugh at the players when they mess up or look funny on plays. Farmer is just kinda nerdy IMO.

kempsted
07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
I am surprised to hear this. I think Farmer and Rooney are both pretty good. Cubs Santo and Hughs may be the worst I have ever heard.

On TV it is the opposite. Steve Stone is one of the best color men in the business and Darin Jackson is .... lame at best. Hawk is fine.

Farmer does a good job most of the time with color. He will say what he thinks should be done. I think is funny how often it isn't what Manuel does.

Hangar18
07-22-2003, 06:21 PM

G

are you talking TV or Radio? 3/4 of that team are BRUTAL.
Now, I will say this. The absolute WORST announcer in baseball has got to be......Ron Santo. I cant even describe how Bad his voice his, how bad his ramblings on inane subjects is, and how, for a baseball player, really adds NOTHING to the telecast. Ive never met him, but he is what Kyle Farnsworth will turn out to be when he gets old and decrepit. A dumb talented athlete turning into a dumb clueless announcer.
Pat Hughes, sounds like he may be talented, but think because hes teamed with that clown Santo, has to DUmb down his style.
They talk about rabbits, rain delays, quirky things that happened at a hotel yrs ago (meanwhile, something is happening in the game as they go off on these tangents) and great places to have Dinner. Its almost like listening to an Announcer trying to do a Broadcast.....with his Drunk Older Uncle in the booth with him.
Stone... I thought Id like him back w the FLubs....now hes just a pompous guy who knows his stuff. Caray......was a talented guy as a NETWORK GUY....as a wgn homer, he is Brutal...the way he panders to the audience and artificially yells out every pop up or long fly ball. Farmer is turning into an extension of Stone. A bit too pompous for his own good.

Brian26
07-22-2003, 06:45 PM

G

You've got to be kidding me. Pat Hughes is UNGODLY BAD! That monotone voice and overstating of the obvious as if he's talking to senior citizens and 5-year olds? He's terrrible.

LASOXFAN
07-22-2003, 06:51 PM
I've got to disagree and throw a vote of support to Farmer. As a former scout he brings a lot of knowledge to the game. Yeah, his anecdotes getting a little tired at times, and I don't want to hear anymore about his kidneys, but the man knows baseball. For instance, watch next time when a base stealing threat is on first base. The pitcher will throw over to first when he's getting ready to throw a curve, thus tipping his pitch to the saavy batter. It's a tip-off that Farmer pointed out and one I've never heard pointed out before.

Brian26
07-22-2003, 06:52 PM
The Sox have it good. Both their TV and radio teams are a treat to listen to.

Listen to some of the other games on the radio from across the country. Watch some of the telecasts on cable.

Rooney and Farmer are exceptionally intelligent. Farmer is quirky (I think that's the best description I've ever heard of him), but he's not a bad announcer. They work well together. They both have excellent baseball minds and can legitimately convey this in a broadcast. You can tell they both really enjoy each other's company as they throw in mentions of going to church or what bad movie they watched on the airplane. They both can be really, really funny in a dry sort of way if you're a regular listener. Someone mentioned that listening to them is challenging, and I think that's a great description. It's challenging in a good way. They make you think a little bit. It's like reading a really good classic novel. It may take you a bit longer to get through it, and it might not be an easy read, but after you're done with it you realize how good it really was. I'd take Rooney and Farmer in a heartbeat over anyone else. Pat Hughes is garbage, and Santo shouldn't be on the air. It's a joke at this point. He's worse than Harry was at the end.

Mammoo
07-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Pat Hughes is garbage, and Santo shouldn't be on the air.

You're half right on this one!