PDA

View Full Version : What I'd do at the July 31 trading deadline.

gosox41
07-22-2003, 11:08 AM
The Sox have been hovering around the .500 mark to about 5-6 games below for what feels like years. It's kind of like a stock that trades in a tight range of prices. Maybe this time they will finally get over the .500 mark for good. But the way this team is, it'll break a lot of hearts before it makes a run past .500.

Come July 31, I feel the Sox should be dumping players if they are not at least 3 games above .500. If they're better then that, I hope they add a solid reliever at the minimum. They have 9 games between now and July 31 (inlcuding 3 biggies against KC.) The schedule isn't that difficult, especially if you believe KC is overachieving. There's no reason they can't go 6-3 or better.

Bob

jabrch
07-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Come July 31, I feel the Sox should be dumping players if they are not at least 3 games above .500. If they're better then that, I hope they add a solid reliever at the minimum. They have 9 games between now and July 31 (inlcuding 3 biggies against KC.) The schedule isn't that difficult, especially if you believe KC is overachieving. There's no reason they can't go 6-3 or better.

Bob

I'd DEFINITELY be adding a middle reliever. I am surprised they haven't yet with Williams, Benitez, Urbina already having been traded. Other targets could be Sauerbeck (Pitt), Mulholland (Cle), Zimmerman (Tex - DL), Powell (Tex) or Mahay (Tex), DelosSantos (mil), DeJean (mil), Witasick (SD), and Orosco (SD)... Most of these guys would come pretty cheap for decent setup guys as long as we don't mind paying salaries.

Wouldn't Biddle look nice in the pen these days?

I also wouldn't mind adding another starter if we could get a guy like Ponson for the right price. Maybe now that Konerko is hitting a bit more the Os would reconsider taking him for Ponson? We'd have 4 solid starters and then Garland as our 5th (who is looking like he is finally developing). Porzio could be a good long reliever. I'd like to see that rotation. Also it would get us out of the next two years of Konerko's deal @ about 5.5 MM per. You should be able to get a decent 1B for a lot less than that. (Derek Lee is available.)

But I do agree...we need to get off the fence and either make one or two more moves to trade into this thing, or trade out of it.

Kudos to Kenny Williams...He is certainly trying...

harwar
07-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Ken Williams is doing the same as us,hes' waiting to see what happens.
This is a big week,we have to beat the tribe & the Drays and at least take 2 out of 3 from the royals.It will most likely go down to the last hour before August is here.
I heard Manuel say that he definately wants to get Koch back in the closer role(uh oh).Also,the indians announcers last night just couldn't figure out why Manuel didn't go to Koch in the ninth.I listen to these guys a lot and they weren't just being sarcastic.They really didn't know how bad Koch has been.I've heard this from other teams also.Very weird.

gosox41
07-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Ken Williams is doing the same as us,hes' waiting to see what happens.
This is a big week,we have to beat the tribe & the Drays and at least take 2 out of 3 from the royals.It will most likely go down to the last hour before August is here.
I heard Manuel say that he definately wants to get Koch back in the closer role(uh oh).Also,the indians announcers last night just couldn't figure out why Manuel didn't go to Koch in the ninth.I listen to these guys a lot and they weren't just being sarcastic.They really didn't know how bad Koch has been.I've heard this from other teams also.Very weird.

Maybe the Sox can trade Koch to one of these teams.

Bob

WWIII
07-22-2003, 05:47 PM
I've always wanted to see Weaver in our organization, either in the rotation or in the pen. The Yanks are supposedly looking for relief and I think both Koch and Weaver are dying in their respective cities but will likely both blossom again once traded. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade worked out with the Yankees exchanging those two and whoever or whatever else needs to go as well.

hold2dibber
07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by WWIII
I've always wanted to see Weaver in our organization, either in the rotation or in the pen. The Yanks are supposedly looking for relief and I think both Koch and Weaver are dying in their respective cities but will likely both blossom again once traded. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade worked out with the Yankees exchanging those two and whoever or whatever else needs to go as well.

I've always liked Weaver, but he has been so horrible this year that I can't see taking a flier on him without the Yankees paying a big chunk of his salary. Koch will make a little bit more (a few hundred thousand) than Weaver this year and in '04, but Koch's deal expires after '04 whereas Weaver will be owed 9.25 million in '05. No way in hell would I be willing to take that on, if I'm KW. That $ would be much better spent on Colon or some up the middle help.

doublem23
07-22-2003, 08:02 PM
I don't think there's any point in really dumping salary, seeing as Robbie and Carl aren't costing any money. That and anyone still screaming the "OHMYGAWD! THE ROYALS!" horse**** still draws laughs from me...

Go Sox. Win this thing. I am still holding onto my dream that the Sox will make the play-offs and the Cubs won't. :)

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Orosco to Yanks for PTBN. Sauerbeck to Boston for Brandon Lyon. 2 more off the market.

Runnin out of time, kw.

doublem23
07-22-2003, 11:00 PM
What other relief pitchers do we think are still on the market?

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-23-2003, 04:05 AM
NEVERMIND, it was a joke article because yankee fans aren't too happy i guess with the orosco deal :)