PDA

View Full Version : Favorite thing to do OUTSIDE Comiskey?

jabrch
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
I have a friend coming in from out of town. He wants to see some of the neighborhood bars in the area. I usually come to the park straight from work and don't have time, so I am not familiar with the options. I usually go to Jimbo's when I get a chance. I have been to Puffer's also.

What else?

mandmandm
07-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Cobblestone is on Pershing and Normal. $10 to park(five minute walk to the park), you get $10 in drink tokens. Have not been there in a while but I heard they expanded the food menu.

Hangar18
07-22-2003, 10:46 AM
for bridgeport style pizza, go to Connies new place on Archer.
Its a great looking place, kind of patterned after chicagos warehouses/industrial loft look, something NEW COMISKEY
shouldve went for before they built that smooth new concrete
bowl.

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Its a great looking place, kind of patterned after chicagos warehouses/industrial loft look, something NEW COMISKEY
bowl.

Hey Hangar, stop slamming The Cell!

:)

mandmandm
07-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Hanger: I love Connies but what is Bridgeport Style Pizza? I know Chicago style pizza and Connies has thin, pan, and stuffed, but I have never heard Bridgeport Style.

Speaking of smooth concrete, has anyone noticed while walking up the ramps how many cracks there are in the concrete. Is this normal wear and tear for a 13 year old structure or are these signs that corners were cut to build the facility?

jabrch
07-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
bowl.

Bridgeport Style Pizza? I have lived in Chicago all my life and eaten Pizza EVERYWHERE in this city, including Connie, but I never heard that term before. What exactly is it? I'll take my buddy there, then over to Puffers or Jimbo's for a few cold ones.

BeerHandle
07-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Go to First Base at 32nd and Normal. You can park there for free. Park on the street, go grab a cold one and ask for a zoned parking pass. It is a great secret if you don't want to give $15 bucks to JR.

http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-915,00.html

Irishsox1
07-22-2003, 11:39 AM
The cracks in the concrete are due to the cold air that is exposed to the ramps. 13 years of being exposed to Chicago's cold winters will make some nice cracks. As for places to go, if you walk two blocks north on Wells to 31st. There is a large White Sox tavern plus a beer garden. I went there after the homerun derby. I don't know if they have food, but for a bar it was larger than Jimbo's, plus the beer garden was nice. I forgot the exact name, but it had a italian name. Can't miss it, 31st and Wells, right on the corner.

booter14
07-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Hanger: I love Connies but what is Bridgeport Style Pizza? I know Chicago style pizza and Connies has thin, pan, and stuffed, but I have never heard Bridgeport Style.

Speaking of smooth concrete, has anyone noticed while walking up the ramps how many cracks there are in the concrete. Is this normal wear and tear for a 13 year old structure or are these signs that corners were cut to build the facility?

Good observation. I am in the general contracting business, and the concrete job at the Cell is horrible. I was in the Upper Deck on Sat. night (sans bowling shirt) and I noticed the same thing. The finish concrete work at Sox park was performed by pigs. The contractor used a concrete mix for the finish work with far too much aggregate.

I doubt there are structural issues. The areas I noticed were only eye sores, aesthetical damage.

sgz
07-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Halsted Street has some pretty good bars, including one at the southeast corner of Halsted and 35th and a great one about two or three blocks south called Schaller's Pump (I hope I spelled that one correctly). I also remember going to one about a block or two north of 35th Street.

Before the game, you can't beat a hamburger at Morrie O'Malley's (heavy on the hot peppers).

WhiteSoxWinner
07-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Tailgating baby!!!

ewokpelts
07-22-2003, 08:47 PM
The sox publish a list of local establishments. You can find it in the programs, media guides, year books, as well as pamphlets(guide to the cell, and "neighborhood fare")....that might help you out.....

Viva Magglio
07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
It's not a bar, but my favorite place to go to outside of Sox Park is Grandstand (http://www.grandstandsox.com/). It is a few blocks west of the park, and its prices are much more reasonable than the ballpark's.

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
It's not a bar, but my favorite place to go to outside of Sox Park is Grandstand (http://www.grandstandsox.com/). It is a few blocks west of the park, and its prices are much more reasonable than the ballpark's.

And Pete and Rose are good people, too. They offer Windy City Sox Fans members (with their club membership cards) a 10% discount.

39thandWallace
07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
I had a great breaded steak at Freddies on 31st and Wallace. For drinking I remember Puffers being descent.

Free Parking my user name of course 39th and Wallace.

White_Sock
07-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Before the game, you can't beat a hamburger at Morrie O'Malley's (heavy on the hot peppers).

Welcome to WSI sgz!!!

Daver
07-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by White_Sock
Welcome to WSI sgz!!!

Hey,where the hell have you been? Slacking again?

:)

soxwon
07-22-2003, 10:37 PM
i used to go to Marys Tap on 33rd and im not sure (Lowe or Parnell) i used to get a few beers, and park for free with a pass. this was 3 years ago the last 2 seasons its been closed. Does anyone know what happened to Mary and her sons who ran it?

doublem23
07-22-2003, 10:41 PM
If you need any other ideas, here's the Metromix page on the Bridgeport/Comiskeyville area (http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Events-!NewFieldedDestSearch,00.html?extraWhere=&regcomm=C%3A36).

Cheers. :gulp:

sgz
07-22-2003, 11:02 PM
It's a pleasure to join the party.

chosk8
07-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I went there (Grandstand) after last Friday's game, the Konerko Bobblehead night, and Loaiza was in there behind the counter buying all kinds of All-Star gear. I told him he was having a great year and to keep it up. Told him we loved having him in Chicago, then he took a picture with my wife and I and also one of me and him.

jabrch
07-23-2003, 03:13 PM
I went to yesterday's game and hung @ Jimbos...an oldy but a goody. Puffers in two weeks when my friend is in town and then Connies after the game.

Have we ever figured out what Bridgeport Style Pizza is?