PDA

View Full Version : Weird Sighting

LASOXFAN
07-22-2003, 01:38 AM
This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I was at the Dodger/Cardinal game in LA on Sunday night and while waiting in line for a dodger dog (worthless) two guys decked out in late '70's and early '80's Sox gear walked by. I mean they were really sportin' it, head to toe.

What gives? Is sox mania on the rise...like some SARS outbreak?

I thought I was the only one wearing a Sox hat and shirt that night.

Meixner007
07-22-2003, 01:39 AM
Did you talk to them?

StepsInSC
07-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Haha, thats funny because yesterday I for the first time someone wearing a Sox T-shirt here in Fukuoka, Japan. It was yesterday here, but it would of been Sunday by LA time.

DC Sox Fan
07-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Went to a party out here in VA this weekend and saw a couple guys wearing the retro mid-80's SOX hats. It was pretty cool. I know the NBA has this whole retro thing going, and if ya ask me the uni's from the early-mid 80s are along the same lines- loud, obnoxious and old school :smile:

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
Went to a party out here in VA this weekend and saw a couple guys wearing the retro mid-80's SOX hats. It was pretty cool. I know the NBA has this whole retro thing going, and if ya ask me the uni's from the early-mid 80s are along the same lines- loud, obnoxious and old school :smile:

I never thought that old block SOX hat would ever catch on, but it has ... can the curley-Q "C" from the late 90s be far off? :D:

Fisk72
07-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Perhaps the retro fad can go back one more uniform further so we can see people walking around in those awful shorts they wore for one game in a doubleheader!

adsit
07-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I never thought that old block SOX hat would ever catch on, but it has ... can the curley-Q "C" from the late 90s be far off? :D:

The script-C cap has been, by far, the best conversation starter in my Sox wardrobe. Most people don't remember it at all. Not "trying" to be retro- it's just an old cap.

Dave

Procol Harum
07-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I still have one of those awful Reinsdorfian chapeaus sitting in my closet. Gonna take some real cleaning before I start struttin' around in the thing--real dusty. I was soooooooooo glad at the end of 1990 in the last year in Old Comiskey when the Sox trotted out their current unis and left the White-Sox-as-Jerry's-Brooklyn-Dodgers-look behind...

DC Sox Fan
07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Looks like Foot Locker is giving the retro jersey a push.

check this out (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000786TE/qid=1058884440/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_/102-8603102-3233730?v=glance&s=merchant&n=1077040&m=A21R12JDS0I7HR)

JJAustin69
07-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Yes, the athletic apparel stores are pushing certain retro baseball trends as a pure fashion statement. I saw a couple of kids with the big SOX logo shirts from the late 70's here in Texas. I had to stop and question them. It is just the trendy thing to do right now and the White Sox are one of a few teams that are the beneficiary. The other notable throwbacks are the Astros 80's rainbow, the Padres brown and gold, and the Orioles bird with hat. It is cool but the kids are wearing it mostly for the colors.

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Yes, the athletic apparel stores are pushing certain retro baseball trends as a pure fashion statement. I saw a couple of kids with the big SOX logo shirts from the late 70's here in Texas. I had to stop and question them. It is just the trendy thing to do right now and the White Sox are one of a few teams that are the beneficiary. The other notable throwbacks are the Astros 80's rainbow, the Padres brown and gold, and the Orioles bird with hat. It is cool but the kids are wearing it mostly for the colors.

The old blue and yellow Brewers jerseys are popular too.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel actually did a whole article about why there's so many people all of a sudden wearing old Brewers and Bucks apparel. The Brewers is a mystery, but turns out old Bucks stuff is popular because it matches the colors of Gucci or something. I dunno. Weird though.

Clembasbal
07-22-2003, 11:24 AM
I would hate to think that this retro thing is going to go out of fashion as quick as those colored sox hats from like 3 or 4 yearsa ago.

I mean I saw LL Cool J, P.Diddy, and others wearing orange, red, or light blue Sox hats. That is way out of style now.

Hope this lasts, I like old fashion uniforms. :gulp:

brewcrew/chisox
07-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69

I've seen quite a few people wearing the Brewers 80's away jersey as well (light blue, cursive Milwaukee across the front) along with the best hat in baseball, the brewer MB, glove hat.

jabrch
07-22-2003, 11:27 AM
My wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday a few months ago... I told her I wanted an old Sox jersey. So she got me the Mitchell and Ness version of that Jersey. It is awesome!!!! Also she go me the hat with SOX under the batter who is in blue, but has red hands....looks awesome...

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
I've seen quite a few people wearing the Brewers 80's away jersey as well (light blue, cursive Milwaukee across the front) along with the best hat in baseball, the brewer MB, glove hat.

The best fashion trend in baseball history has got to be the elimination of those hideous powder blue away jerseys in favor of gray. Good lord, who thought that looked good?

JJAustin69
07-22-2003, 11:49 AM
How's this for hideous. The powder blue pin-striped Cubs jerseys of the 70's/80's Ivan Dejesus era. Oh yeah, the Pirate canary yellow "We are Family" 1979 Disco nightmare jerseys with matching garish stove pipe hat.