PDA

View Full Version : The Wave SUCKS!

dllrbll7
07-22-2003, 01:36 AM
After tonights game i once again relized why the wave isnt supposed to be done on the south side. Some how some scrub fans in right field got it started and it went around many times. Nobody pays attention to the game and along the right field line on two occasions a foul ball game into the stands while they were standing up for the wave. This easily could have caused serious injuries because they had no idea a ball was coming. i know we cant throw all the wavers into the lockup but i wish we could, or at least send them back to the northside.

valposoxfan
07-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Yeah the wave was really irritating tonight. There was a specific occassion where a foul ball was hit down the first base line and right into the wave. I thought someone got hurt, and if they didn't, they could have been. The wave is stupid. There is no need for it. Pay attention to the damn game.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-22-2003, 02:22 AM
i was there too, i was over in left field and nearly everyone except for my dad, me and 2 other people did it. The worst part of it was that the white sox were up, and we were only winning 4-3.

WhiteSox = Life
07-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Somewhere, the inventor of the wave is laughing his ass off.

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Even the Jndjans announcers were making fun of Sox fans for it. "Well, it's a one-run game in the seventh inning ... I guess the fans here have lost interest in the game. They're amusing themselves with the wave."

chuckn98229
07-22-2003, 08:33 AM
In the Pacific Northwest it seems to be a source of pride that 'the wave' was supposedly invented at the University of Washington during a football game! Geez, I sure wouldn't be proud of that. Different culture out here on the left coast.

THE_HOOTER
07-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I wasn't at the game, but are you blaiming Cub Fans for starting the wave at Sox Park?

You have got to be kidding me.

I am a Cub hater as much as anyone, but please grow up.

Procol Harum
07-22-2003, 09:26 AM
There's also been a virtual epidemic of the Flubbie practice of throwing opposition homers back onto the playing field--I believe it happened Friday, Saturday and Sunday. What's with these goofs? I saw some guy all decked out in Sox regalia do it--has he no clue about the vast gulf of good sense that separates us from Cub fans? How could you be a sensate being as a Sox fan and not know that this is a practice that reeks of Wrigley??? :angry:

dllrbll7
07-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I wasn't at the game, but are you blaiming Cub Fans for starting the wave at Sox Park?

No i was one section over from the group who started it and one had a cubs hat on.

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
In the Pacific Northwest it seems to be a source of pride that 'the wave' was supposedly invented at the University of Washington during a football game! Geez, I sure wouldn't be proud of that. Different culture out here on the left coast.

The University of Wisconsin does a really elaborate wave during football games ... it's actually kind of cool. They start doing the regular wave, then they reverse it, then they go really fast, then they do it in slow motion, then it splits into seperate directions. It's the wave, so it's still annoying, but to see it done is sort of breathtaking in its own bizarre way.

dllrbll7
07-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The University of Wisconsin does a really elaborate wave during football games ... it's actually kind of cool. They start doing the regular wave, then they reverse it, then they go really fast, then they do it in slow motion, then it splits into seperate directions. It's the wave, so it's still annoying, but to see it done is sort of breathtaking in its own bizarre way.

That would be cool but not during play

Grobber33
07-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

The Wave is absolute Garbage. And to claim Cub Fans started it has me laughing my head off. Anyone who tried to start that stupid long ago worn out fad at Wrigley will be lucky if they are'nt tossed onto Waveland Ave head first(figuretively off course). Also,just try to start one at a Blackhawks game and then start running for your life! Why is a place(Comiskey)where Sox Fans claim to be strictly into the game,the only (Major)venue in Chicago where people act boored by starting this childish thing?
If Sox Fans are the smartest around as compaired to Cub Fans,then PROVE IT by somehow putting a stop to the Wave in Chicago once and for all!!
Former TV Host Rob Weller claims he invented the Wave while a Cheerleader at the Univ of Washington. If he did, may he rot and burn in.....well you get the idea.

alohafri
07-22-2003, 10:21 AM
We were at last night's game and the 4 of us were probably the only ones in our section not doing the wave. It seems to get started when there are a lot of people in the park--usually on half-price nights or kids days. Casual fans seem to like it. Although I never participate, it doesn't bother me (although I think it's stupid and so 1975) when the Sox are up by at least 5 runs or so. In a close game it annoys me to no end. Also, the only place where the wave is really kind of cool is in a bowl type stadium like at Notre Dame. A place like Sox park (or the ugly field on the NS for that matter) just doesn't lend itself to the wave and so it really is as lame as the people who participate in it.

Another thing I noticed last night was a recording that came on the loudspeakers just after the wave started--a woman's voice saying "Oh look, here comes the wave". I don't know if it was supposed to be sarcastic or not, but I suspect it's management's attempt to appeal to the masses. Apparently the masses do like the wave, judging from the number of people participating. Another sound effect I heard was the sound of a real wave--like a surf sound (which Nancy Faust can generate through the sound effects on her organ) which serves to encourage the wave even more.

I know there are many Sox fans who like the wave and that's ok--but please don't do it when the game is as close and tense as it was last night.

(Mrs. Aloha)

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by alohafri

I know there are many Sox fans who like the wave and that's ok--but please don't do it when the game is as close and tense as it was last night.

Unfortunately, the type of people who need the lesson (casual fans) aren't going to visit sites like WSI. :(:

moochpuppy
07-22-2003, 10:39 AM
I have yet to attend a Twins game where there was not a wave at some point during the game. It's stupid and pointless. If you want to "do" the wave, try the Atlantic, the Pacific or the Gulf. :angry:

kevingrt
07-22-2003, 11:09 AM
The wave sucks I agrfee %100, but the weird thing is when you see everyone do it you realize just how many true White Sox fans are out there. Its sad...

Gumshoe
07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Right when that was going on I was bewildered. I also began to think of what really matters. All this marketing stuff is crazy. Loud noises, crazy things going on. For god sakes, people seemed happier that they picked the "red frog" last night than when White struck someone out or when Konerko made that last play. Just let Nancy play, WIN, and the electricity of all those people in the stands will be enough. Then, they won't even THINK of doing the wave. ... I hope

Gumshoe

alohafri
07-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Gumshoe, you're absolutely right about that dumb frog game (and the other dumb race games)--people just go nuts when the sausage pizza wins, or the ATA white plane wins, etc.

I sheepishly admit that I get excited when I win the "guess the attendance" quiz though. :D:

(Mrs. Aloha)

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Gumshoe, you're absolutely right about that dumb frog game (and the other dumb race games)--people just go nuts when the sausage pizza wins, or the ATA white plane wins, etc.

I miss Alan Aqua.

Clembasbal
07-22-2003, 11:37 AM
It is the casual fans doing it, because they bring their kids and the kids can't get enough of the wave.

In section 161, the season ticket holders (front seats) sit during the wave and yell at all others that, and we have been doing that for years.

The WAVE SUCKS! :whiner:

harwar
07-22-2003, 11:40 AM
I have a system,drink more beer and hope it goes away.Its not working so far.

booter14
07-22-2003, 11:55 AM
The wave is the price you pay for filling the seats.

When the Sox were out drawing the Cubs in the early 90's it happened all the time. I was at a game in 91 or 92, and Black Jack was throwing a perfect game into the seventh inning. Next thing you know the wave is going strong; probably three laps.

I was the only one in my section trying to break it up. I don't fight it anymore because people obviouly enjoy it. I have also been to Randall Stadium in Madison, and it is pretty awesome to see.

My only suggestion: Please pick your spots. No-hitters should not be disrupted by this. Black Jack obvioulsy did not convert the no-no.

kittle42
07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Who doesn't miss Alan Aqua?

As for the pizza race, has anyone ever noticed that each pizza has severe problems? Pepperoni is on speed, Cheese is brain damaged, and Sausage, my personal favorite, is drunk.

Also, go A.T. Money!

alohafri
07-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Any drillrod who starts the wave at Sox park should be forced to play golf behind the "Over 70 League of Women from Tinley Park" Golf Outing 5 days in a row.

With NO BEER CART!
:angry:

steff
07-22-2003, 12:11 PM

I sheepishly admit that I get excited when I win the "guess the attendance" quiz though. :D:

(Mrs. Aloha)

I kicked your butts last night at the quiz!! Yeah! :D:

npdempse
07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

As for the pizza race, has anyone ever noticed that each pizza has severe problems? Pepperoni is on speed, Cheese is brain damaged, and Sausage, my personal favorite, is drunk.

No, my wife and I have concluded that sausage is in the last stages of syphillis.

They need to quit putting up the "guess the attendance" while the game is going on. People seemed to be more jazzed about that than anything the entire game.

As for the wave, yes, it's disgusting, but I think that Gallas & Co. are probably in the right with encouraging it through sound effects, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something on the LED boards for the next game. As much as it breaks my heart to see that kind of foolishness, it helps put butts in seats, and that's how you get payroll. But I'll still boo it and root for the guy in 159 who was standing up last night quixotically battling the wave.

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
I kicked your butts last night at the quiz!! Yeah! :D:

I picked A and lost immediately. When it came down to the final two choices, I knew it was over 30K, so it was easy. First one I've missed this season...

The only one I like is the hat trick and almost half the time, I forget to watch the beginning.

What ticks me off is the MBNA ads on the side screens attached to the club level. Their motto, "The next best thing to a no-hitter". It came up for the first time in the third inning when Porzio had a no-no going. Yeah, it's only the third inning, but come on. That is the most basic "don't jinx it" rule in baseball. I will never get an MBNA credit card now for sure. Dumbasses...

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What ticks me off is the MBNA ads on the side screens attached to the club level. Their motto, "The next best thing to a no-hitter". It came up for the first time in the third inning when Porzio had a no-no going. Yeah, it's only the third inning, but come on. That is the most basic "don't jinx it" rule in baseball. I will never get an MBNA credit card now for sure. Dumbasses...

Not to mention, I can think of about 5,000 things I'd place below a no-hitter but above an MBNA credit card. :D:

OEO Magglio
07-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the wave is absolutely terrible, when I'm in attendance and the stupid wave goes around, it's really hard to see the game and is really annoying.

Chisox353014
07-22-2003, 02:02 PM
I picked A and lost immediately. When it came down to the final two choices, I knew it was over 30K, so it was easy. First one I've missed this season...

My trick with the attendence quiz is to pick the 2nd highest number. I've found that 75-80% of the time that is the correct answer. I've never seen it be the lowest number.

steff
07-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
My trick with the attendence quiz is to pick the 2nd highest number. I've found that 75-80% of the time that is the correct answer. I've never seen it be the lowest number.

Wasn't 31K the highest # up there last night..?

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Wasn't 31K the highest # up there last night..?

Yep, because I picked A which was just over 30K and second highest total.

dllrbll7
07-22-2003, 04:56 PM

I noticed that too when porzio hadnt given up a hit yet. I saw the sign start to go across but stopped about half way so i only saw no hitter. and i think the next batter got the hit. Stupid advertisement

LongLiveFisk
07-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal

The WAVE SUCKS! :whiner: [/B]

I agree 100%. I like when we are original (Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye, fireworks after homers, etc), not when we follow others. I also don't like throwing home run balls back. Not only does it reek of Wrigley, it makes the fans who do it look like poor sports. "WAAAH! WAAH! You hit a homerun!! I don't like you! Take your stupid ball back!! WAAH!!" I mean, come on people!

Just my two cents..