PDA

View Full Version : A thought on tonights attendance...


voodoochile
07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
The game drew 31,776 fans (or something). The upper deck was about 1/3 full, so why were so many booths closed? The lines were really long. People around me kept leaving to get food and not coming back for 2 innings. That's too damn long. The fact is that since the Sox are drawing better (especially on 1/2-price nights) and fans who buy upper deck seats (at least 6K on a night like tonight) have to sit up there, the team needs to do more to make sure those fans are well treated. Like it or not, this is a chance to change the image of the UD. Fans are being forced to sit up there, but will they return if the service is horrid? I haven't heard many complaints in the media about the upper deck from the fans who have been sitting up there since the ump was attacked - 40 days or so ago. Make the most of it Sox management. Stop whining and expecting bad things to be said and done, make some positive press. Stop half-assing it. Spend the money to make sure those people have a positive experience. Maybe they will come back next time and pay full price. What a concept, customer service.

Heck, how many dollars were lost tonight because people gave up and left lines? How many sales were lost because the beer guy only made it up our aisle twice, the soda guy once and the ice-cream guy twice (3rd and 8th). Having been in the food service industry for a long time, this is the wrong way to make money and the wrong way to bring people back. I won't eat at my favorite BBQ joint because it takes them 1/2 hour to make any entree - even to go. That's too damn long.

Fix the problem, Jerry, or don't whine anymore about the cheap fans who won't come to your park...

dickallen15
07-22-2003, 08:51 AM
There was a huge walk up. They were caught with their pants down.

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
There was a huge walk up. They were caught with their pants down.

Well, they don't have to worry about a huge walkup next time, since many of those fans won't come back ...

B. Diddy
07-22-2003, 08:57 AM
I was at the game on Saturday, where a surprising 32,000+ showed up. Unfortunately, one of the escalators was broken and everyone was crowding onto the only other one. Even if only the typical 27,000 showed up for a fireworks game, you'd think that that'd be a priority on the "fix it" list, wouldn't you?

dickallen15
07-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I was at the game on Saturday, where a surprising 32,000+ showed up. Unfortunately, one of the escalators was broken and everyone was crowding onto the only other one. Even if only the typical 27,000 showed up for a fireworks game, you'd think that that'd be a priority on the "fix it" list, wouldn't you?

That escalator still wasn't fixed yesterday. Its really inexcusable. As to the stands not being open yesterday in the upper deck, thats inexcusable as well. Fortunately for me I was downstairs, but c'mon, if you're gonna limit people with upper deck tickets to the upper deck open the rest of the concessions. How much could it cost to run them? They cost themselves a lot of $$$ .

Procol Harum
07-22-2003, 10:01 AM
The Sox have been getting good Monday night walk-ups since late May--it's inexcusable that they should be so unprepared to serve their customers. Makes ya wonder if the powers-that-be in the Sox hierarchy have decided that, now that the All-Star Game is behind us, that it's time to start getting the Cell ready for winterizing...

Is there no limit to stupidity in this organization? Have any of these people ever been involved in the capitalist system before?

bobj4400
07-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Would it make sense for the White Sox to lower ticket prices across the board? It seems every time there is a ticket price promotion the Sox draw 30,000 (sometimes more) fans...

If the ticket prices were lowered by $5 each, would the increase in attendance, concession sales, and parking offset the loss in income from ticket prices? Anybody ever look into this?

Or even if they lowered prices to seats in the upper deck to $10...anything to get more people in the door. The Sox play better in front of big crowds anyway, which hopefully would lead to more people wanting to come to the games.

Just a random observation...any thoughts?

mandmandm
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
I think they do a pretty good job with discounting tickets but might do a few more things to boost attendance. Keep home opener, Cubs-Sox, Yankees, Minnesota, and fireworks games full price. Make the following half price: All other April games including fireworks and all season Weekday day games. Along with the half price Monday and Tuesday, and the Sunday kids days, this would give many affordable options to go to the games. Individuals and Corporations who purchase season tickets are paying full price so the organization will make money off them. The April program will boost attendance when it is still cold and kids are in school. One other option would be to add greater incentives to the Seven pack program for tickets in less demand. If you offer the the seven pack half price for the less popular games the organization will gain in advanced ticket sales which would put money in their pocket early and allow them to better predict game day attendance.

ozzman
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
I like being able to go for free because of the military promotion they are having this year, I hope they keep it around! :gulp:

gosox41
07-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum



Is there no limit to stupidity in this organization?

No.

gosox41
07-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
That escalator still wasn't fixed yesterday.


I'd hate to see people actually walk up the ramps to their seats. In never take the escalators up. Granted I'm in the first deck, but even when I have sat in the upper deck I've walked. Can't people walk halfway and then hop on the escalators to walk the rest if they can't walk it all?

Bob

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I think they do a pretty good job with discounting tickets but might do a few more things to boost attendance. Keep home opener, Cubs-Sox, Yankees, Minnesota, and fireworks games full price. Make the following half price: All other April games including fireworks and all season Weekday day games. Along with the half price Monday and Tuesday, and the Sunday kids days, this would give many affordable options to go to the games. Individuals and Corporations who purchase season tickets are paying full price so the organization will make money off them. The April program will boost attendance when it is still cold and kids are in school. One other option would be to add greater incentives to the Seven pack program for tickets in less demand. If you offer the the seven pack half price for the less popular games the organization will gain in advanced ticket sales which would put money in their pocket early and allow them to better predict game day attendance.

I don't know if they can afford to go that far - it would hurt too much on the season ticket base (IMO), but I do agree that lowering UD ticket prices would be a great way to attract people to the park. Someone posted an idea to make all UD seats $1 a while back. I think that is too low, but think they could make UDR seats $10 and UDB seats $13 and get good crowds up there on a regular basis. People who want Foul/homerun balls or want to be close to the action are going to sit downstairs anyway.

It's like they expect to fail and that leads to them failing. Last nights UD crowd was loaded with HS and college kids. Tons of them. Kids can't afford the $20+ to sit in the LD, but give them a reasonable price they will come watch your team all summer.

They need to do more package deals also, IMO. Ticket+meal+beer type things. Heck, a guaranteed $25 sale on a Wednesday night where you have to give away some food to get people into the park is a better than no money at all.

Also, the Sox-7 is a great way to start, but where is the incentive to buy the next 7? They should make it Sox-7 and then Sox-12 (2-$1 games) and Sox-16 (3 -$1 games).

Still, the customer service issue should be the main priority. I showed up as usual at 6:15 and the lines at the gate 5 ticket windows were 15 deep across the board and only the eastern most ticket windows were open. I can't imagine what the lines must have been like at 6:55...

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd hate to see people actually walk up the ramps to their seats. In never take the escalators up. Granted I'm in the first deck, but even when I have sat in the upper deck I've walked. Can't people walk halfway and then hop on the escalators to walk the rest if they can't walk it all?

Bob

That is a long uphill haul up to the UD. If the escalators are broken, they block them off so you can't take the stairs. Ramp or nothing...

dickallen15
07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd hate to see people actually walk up the ramps to their seats. In never take the escalators up. Granted I'm in the first deck, but even when I have sat in the upper deck I've walked. Can't people walk halfway and then hop on the escalators to walk the rest if they can't walk it all?

Bob

I walk too, usually, but I have arthritic knees, and sometimes its a pain to do so. I wish they had steps up. The ramps take too long. The bottom line is, when one of your major people movers is out it should be top priority to get it fixed.

Jerko
07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
There was a huge walk up. They were caught with their pants down.


EVERY half price night that happens! Even Sunday when I went they had the pizza stand in the oufield on the 100 level closed. Brutal. I'll be there today and I'm sure the day game staff will be in place, meaning anyone in the outfield will have a nice walk to go get food and beers.

steff
07-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd hate to see people actually walk up the ramps to their seats. In never take the escalators up. Granted I'm in the first deck, but even when I have sat in the upper deck I've walked. Can't people walk halfway and then hop on the escalators to walk the rest if they can't walk it all?

Bob


That's what I was thinking Bob..


Me and my FULL PRICE TICKET walks the ramps.

Brian26
07-22-2003, 02:45 PM
The Sox get a kick-back on their rent from the State if they don't draw X amount of fans every year. So...as jaded as it sounds, the Sox actually can make money by not drawing large attendance.

Cutting upper deck tickets to a buck of piece wouldn't make money in the long run when you consider additional overhead required.

Cutting upper deck tickets to 10 bucks across the board would have a better shot of making additional money, but then you run into the possibility of drawing over the X amount and paying additional rent to the State.

Hard to analyze without specific numbers in front of us, but I'm sure the Sox braintrust has analyzed this from every angle. The half-price nights on Monday and Tuesday are calculated efforts at promotion with a specific bottom line purpose in mind.

Brian26
07-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
That's what I was thinking Bob..


Me and my FULL PRICE TICKET walks the ramps.

The walk up from the street to the lower deck is a lot shorter than the walk from the lower deck to the upper deck. And if you're walking all the way up to the upper deck from the street, forget about it. That's a pain.

ewokpelts
07-22-2003, 09:21 PM
........that the sunday and tuesday ticket promotions have corporate sponsors attached to them.....

steff
07-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
The walk up from the street to the lower deck is a lot shorter than the walk from the lower deck to the upper deck. And if you're walking all the way up to the upper deck from the street, forget about it. That's a pain.



Yes Brian, smart rear end, I know that.

But I've done it all the way up to the UD as well. GASP!! Yes.. I have walked the ramps. All the way up, all the way down. Jim should be tared and feathered for allowing such a thing.. :D: ... but really it's not that big of a deal. And besides, who couldn't use a little excercise?

B. Diddy
07-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The Sox get a kick-back on their rent from the State if they don't draw X amount of fans every year. So...as jaded as it sounds, the Sox actually can make money by not drawing large attendance.

I thought that clause was only good for the first 10 years of the ballpark's existence. Surely, the people in Springfield wouldn't make that clause indefinite? Does anybody have any info on this?

JUGGERNAUT
07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I thought that clause was only good for the first 10 years of the ballpark's existence. Surely, the people in Springfield wouldn't make that clause indefinite? Does anybody have any info on this?

It's indefinite. You can find the details at the ISFA. The SOX avoid a 3MIL/yr rent payment if they draw less than 2MIL in attendance.

I don't think JR does things to limit attendance. But I do think the org is inept at such things.

Did any of you call the front office & let them know about these problems?

I think the SOX should start passing out surveys when you attend the game. It would seem to me it's the best way to reach out to your fans & let them know their opinions count.

Likewise, it's a great way to run Qual Assurance around the Cell.

TornLabrum
07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by JUGGERNAUT
It's indefinite. You can find the details at the ISFA. The SOX avoid a 3MIL/yr rent payment if they draw less than 2MIL in attendance.

I don't think JR does things to limit attendance. But I do think the org is inept at such things.

Did any of you call the front office & let them know about these problems?

I think the SOX should start passing out surveys when you attend the game. It would seem to me it's the best way to reach out to your fans & let them know their opinions count.

Likewise, it's a great way to run Qual Assurance around the Cell.

Here are the actual terms of the agreement:

[T]heir lease provided that they would owe no rent in any season where attendance fell below 1,200,000/year, and that if after 10 years, attendance ever fell below 1,500,000 in any season, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority would buy 300,000 additional tickets.

Source: http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bb00sta-1.htm

That's a little different than 2 million.