PDA

View Full Version : Taking One for the Team...

TornLabrum
07-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, at least I didn't break a finger, but I didn't get the damn foul ball either. When Maggs scalded one down the left field side in the 8th inning, it deflected of one perso and headed straight at my unprotected chest. I tried to reach up and grab it, but my 53-year-old's reflexes weren't quick enough. Man, that stung!

The real irritating part though is that as I instinctively tried to draw in my to trap the ball, it bounded into the chair of the guy sitting next to me. He didn't realize it was there until he looked down.

So now I have the bruise and he's got the <bleep>in' ball!

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed....

Daver
07-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Well, at least I didn't break a finger, but I didn't get the damn foul ball either. When Maggs scalded one down the left field side in the 8th inning, it deflected of one perso and headed straight at my unprotected chest. I tried to reach up and grab it, but my 53-year-old's reflexes weren't quick enough. Man, that stung!

The real irritating part though is that as I instinctively tried to draw in my to trap the ball, it bounded into the chair of the guy sitting next to me. He didn't realize it was there until he looked down.

Next time you'll remember to bring your glove to the game now won't you Torn?

:)

TornLabrum
07-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
Next time you'll remember to bring your glove to the game now won't you Torn?

:)

What glove? You mean the old Nellie Fox model?

Daver
07-21-2003, 11:53 PM
What glove? You mean the old Nellie Fox model?

Feel free to stop by and borrow my Steve Carlton model cathers mitt.

hose
07-22-2003, 05:39 AM

Don't feel bad Hal, Greg Walker ended up in worse shape than both you and Wilkes after breaking his elbow on a Carlos Lee batted ball.

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by hose
Don't feel bad Hal, Greg Walker ended up in worse shape than both you and Wilkes after breaking his elbow on a Carlos Lee batted ball.

When I heard that after the game last night, my chest stung a lttle less. If Greg Walker didn't have bad luck, would he have any luck at all?

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2003, 07:34 AM
I got nailed with a line drive in the side a few years ago, sitting in section 147 or so close to the field. Everyone in our section stood up and the ball penetrated scores of upraised arms, only to find the 'sweet spot' in the flesh on my right side.

Same thing happened, too: the ball landed on my friend's chair next to me, and the guy behind him grabbed it. I was left with a beisbol-sized bruise that took a few weeks to completely heal.

And I *still* haven't caught a foul ball, ever, at a major league park.

:o: :?: :(: :angry:

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I got nailed with a line drive in the side a few years ago, sitting in section 147 or so close to the field. Everyone in our section stood up and the ball penetrated scores of upraised arms, only to find the 'sweet spot' in the flesh on my right side.

Same thing happened, too: the ball landed on my friend's chair next to me, and the guy behind him grabbed it. I was left with a beisbol-sized bruise that took a few weeks to completely heal.

And I *still* haven't caught a foul ball, ever, at a major league park.

:o: :?: :(: :angry:

I'm going 0 for 47 years.

Dadawg_77
07-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Those are foul balls back when I was a youngster I lost a home run ball almost the same way. It was actually Bobby Bonillia's first home run. The ball hit the portion between the upper deck and lower deck in right field. Bounced straight down and land in the seat in front of me. The guy in front sat on the ball without realizing it was there. This prompted me to try and wiggle the ball from his chair between the space between the wooden planks which made up the back. Needless to say after a few minutes of being coy and sneaky about it the guy felt me grabbing around his back and ask what the hell I was doing. So I made him feel like a dolt and told him he was sitting on the homerun ball. So he got the autograph ball and what else they gave for the ball, and I got a story and realized life wasn't fair.