PDA

View Full Version : Which nickname is more irritating?


MarqSox
07-21-2003, 07:33 PM
I can't stand the Cubbies, but hearing "the Tribe" over and over again tonight is really starting to grate on my nerves.

JJAustin69
07-21-2003, 07:37 PM
At least Tribe has some type of threatening connotation. Cubbies, sounds so.......childish.

fquaye149
07-21-2003, 07:38 PM
at least the "tribe" is an actual nickname

what the f. is the "cubbies?" It's just a baby form of their actual name.

it's like saying scottie or billy or jimmy or joey is a nickname

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
at least the "tribe" is an actual nickname

what the f. is the "cubbies?" It's just a baby form of their actual name.

it's like saying scottie or billy or jimmy or joey is a nickname

I hear ya man ... it's just that, I gotta listen to these Jndjans announcers, and they keep calling them the Tribe, and it just really starts to get on one's nerves. I'm sure under normal circumstances I'd vote Cubbies hands down.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I hear ya man ... it's just that, I gotta listen to these Jndjans announcers, and they keep calling them the Tribe, and it just really starts to get on one's nerves. I'm sure under normal circumstances I'd vote Cubbies hands down.

Yeah I'll give them credit though. These announcers could be so MUCH MORE annoying. I can actually listen to these two, which is more than I can say for Mario and the other guy who do Detroit games.

"Hey Mario, Mario Mario"

He says his name constantly.

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 09:29 PM
I tell you what though, I'm going looney hearing that dang Ford commercial "Any way you want it that's the way you need it." I love my Ford Escort, but this freeging commercial is making me want to sell it and buy a Saturn.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I tell you what though, I'm going looney hearing that dang Ford commercial "Any way you want it that's the way you need it." I love my Ford Escort, but this freeging commercial is making me want to sell it and buy a Saturn.

It's not worse than "Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet."

Nothing is.

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
It's not worse than "Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet."

Nothing is.

For some reason I can tune that one out. The melody isn't quite as abrasive.

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Yeah I'll give them credit though. These announcers could be so MUCH MORE annoying.

They just wondered "why Manuel has seemingly lost all confidence in a great closer like Billy Koch." And they were serious.

TornLabrum
07-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
It's not worse than "Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet."

Nothing is.

And that particular jingle was irritating in the '60s when it was first used.

MHOUSE
07-22-2003, 12:01 AM
What about....
I'm gonna get me a Kia, a Kia from Gateway. I'm gonna get me a Kia, a Kia from Gateway; Gateway Imports, on Rand Road, in Des Plaines.

Of course the alltime worst commercials are any from blue cross/blue shield.

But the Tribe is a cool nickname, it makes sense. The Cubbies doesn't even count. That's like James being Jimmy. It's the same thing! At least be creative like the Sox and the Pale Hose. Not the Soxies. psssh....!

Meixner007
07-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
That's like James being Jimmy.

I like the name Jimmy.


-Jim

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I like the name Jimmy.


-Jim

Me2

-Jim

PS I never did get the Jack for John thing though...

VeeckAsInWreck
07-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Of course the alltime worst commercials are any from blue cross/blue shield.

Surely you jest! Who doesn't love the one where the lady says:

"Do you love your baby momma?"

MarkEdward
07-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Surely you jest! Who doesn't love the one where the lady says:

"Do you love your baby momma?"

"Hair! All over her, man! Like she's some sort of SASQUATCH!"

I just hate the way he pronounces 'Sasquatch.'

doublem23
07-22-2003, 12:49 AM
With The Tribe, I deal with it 19 times a year and let bygones be bygones, but you can't throw a stone in Chicago without hearing "The Cubbies this..." and "The Cubbies that..."

Hands down.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
"Hair! All over her, man! Like she's some sort of SASQUATCH!"

I just hate the way he pronounces 'Sasquatch.'

Those are those goofy Miller Lite Ads. I don't like them either.
The worst one has to be the one about the guys who go to a bar after going to a Nascar event.

" HEY THOSE WERE GREAT SEATS!...................YEAH!"

valposoxfan
07-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
For some reason I can tune that one out. The melody isn't quite as abrasive.
How DARE you rip on Journey!!!! :D:

WhiteSox = Life
07-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
PS I never did get the Jack for John thing though...

Neither did I. I can't stand it, either.

When I was younger, I used to think Jack Kennedy and John Kennedy were two different people.

Honestly though, if someone were to call me Jack, I'd give them a warning and tell them not to do it again. Second time = punch. Third time... Well, there better not be a third time.

And no, I'm not a violent person. Just don't call me Jack...

:D:

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Surely you jest! Who doesn't love the one where the lady says:

"Do you love your baby momma?"

Except the way she says it, it isn't emphasized like a question and baby and momma sound like one word, more like, "Do you love your BABYmomma." What's a babymomma? Sounds like the result of something illegal and immoral.

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Neither did I. I can't stand it, either.

When I was younger, I used to think Jack Kennedy and John Kennedy were two different people.

Honestly though, if someone were to call me Jack, I'd give them a warning and tell them not to do it again. Second time = punch. Third time... Well, there better not be a third time.

And no, I'm not a violent person. Just don't call me Jack...

:D:

Imagine how people named Richard must think about being called Dick?

WhiteSox = Life
07-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Imagine how people named Richard must think about being called Dick?

That's why I never called them anything but Rich or Richard.

:smile:

TommyJohn
07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
That's why I never called them anything but Rich or Richard.

:smile:

I know of a guy named Richard who prefers to be called Dick.
His last name is Seaman. He goes by the name Dick Seaman.
I AM NOT making that up.

TornLabrum
07-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I know of a guy named Richard who prefers to be called Dick.
His last name is Seaman. He goes by the name Dick Seaman.
I AM NOT making that up.

Then there is the jazz pianist Dick Hyman, and that's no joke either.

B. Diddy
07-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
What about....
I'm gonna get me a Kia, a Kia from Gateway. I'm gonna get me a Kia, a Kia from Gateway; Gateway Imports, on Rand Road, in Des Plaines.


I find the Bob Rohrman commercials the worst. Not that the jingles are terrible (I'm getting off topic here), but they're just so damn stupid. It's like they were filmed by a 5th grader.

Most people in Chicago and Indy are spared because he doesn't own the market out there, but when I lived in Lafayette, he was on ALL THE TIME.

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Then there is the jazz pianist Dick Hyman, and that's no joke either.

What about Dick Pole the pitching coach?

delben91
07-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
What about Dick Pole the pitching coach?

Or Dick Trickle the former (?) NASCAR driver.

chuckn98229
07-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
at least the "tribe" is an actual nickname

what the f. is the "cubbies?" It's just a baby form of their actual name.

it's like saying scottie or billy or jimmy or joey is a nickname


But the cubbies have always had a penchant for baby names - sammie, gracie, gootie, et.al. ad nauseum

Procol Harum
07-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Imagine how people named Richard must think about being called Dick?

Yep, that's one of those names that has kinda been forced out of the modern naming lexicon, sorta like the word "gay" (as in happy, festive) has been pushed out of the working verbal dictionary.

By the by, when did people stop using shortened nicknames for what they actually call their kids--how many Michaels, James, Andrews, Roberts, etc., etc. are running around out there these days? It's like none of these yuppified parents would deign to call their kid "Mike" or "Jim" or whatever...what's up with that??

MarqSox
07-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
But the cubbies have always had a penchant for baby names - sammie, gracie, gootie, et.al. ad nauseum

You forgot Paulie ... oh wait, he's ours.

voodoochile
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Yep, that's one of those names that has kinda been forced out of the modern naming lexicon, sorta like the word "gay" (as in happy, festive) has been pushed out of the working verbal dictionary.

By the by, when did people stop using shortened nicknames for what they actually call their kids--how many Michaels, James, Andrews, Roberts, etc., etc. are running around out there these days? It's like none of these yuppified parents would deign to call their kid "Mike" or "Jim" or whatever...what's up with that??

Actually, the name Richard is much less popular after Nixon. I read that before then it was the third most popular English name, but after Tricky Dick, no wanted to name their kids Richard anymore.

I had a boss named Richard A. Hoel (prounounced Hole)

Dick A. Hole? Man, you have to wonder if you were an unwanted child.

alohafri
07-22-2003, 10:53 AM
I think my parents were on drugs or something when they named my brother Richard Paine.

He goes by his middle name, Ken(neth).

(Mrs. Aloha)