PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts over the weekend pt2

Hangar18
07-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Being the man about town, I attended a concert at the Aragon
Sat nite Queensryche, Fates Warning and Dream Theatre.
Dream Theatre headlined, and are from NY City. Progressive
rock band. The lites dim and the keyboardist (Jordan Rudess) comes out, lites full on him....and the crowd goes nuts....and Presto! hes wearing a Blue Cubs Jersey. My friends and I all laughed and couldnt believe he wore that. What A Dork. Thing is, we know hes not a cub fan, but a guy from another town
just wearing the jersey, because he figured hey im in chicago,
everyone must love the cubs here. I went and got a paper plate and with a marker, wrote Cubs Suck on the plate, and held it up when he was looking at the crowd. He was mildly confused when he read it, but think he got the idea. Afterwards, my friends were passing out flyers (for their upcoming show) and while waiting for them to finish, I was surprised at the number of Sox Fans that were at that show, and everyone saw that small sign I held up and they all remarked how cool that was, and they hated the cubs too. Pretty funny story. I know, it was a bit crude....
but Tired of people thinking this is a cub town ....

Hangar18
07-21-2003, 10:47 AM
The guy is a pretty darn good Keyboardist. think he studied
at Julliard. Poor choice in clothing though heh heh

SoxOnTop
07-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Well played, Hangar!

I feel your pain. I just moved down to Tampa and it seems when everyone learns I'm from Chicago, they make a comment about the Chubs. Of course, I laugh at them and point to the supperiority of the White Sox! But the perspective outside of the city is that Chicago baseball = Cubs and it is starting to make me sick. All the years of propoganda spewed from WGN has raised the Cubs nationally and killed the Sox.

Of course, the D-Rays always keep things in perspective. They're second class citizens to a team that doesn't even play in their town! Of course, what I wouldn't give for Lou to be on managing on the Southside......

harwar
07-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Back when i was going to the aragon ballroom it was a pretty tough place and i had to fight my way out of there more than once.It was a great place though and i saw Areosmiths' first nationwide tour go through there,they were the last billed act along with blue oyster cult and wishbone ash.I don't remember any stinkin cub fans but it was a long time ago.

TornLabrum
07-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Well played, Hangar!

I feel your pain. I just moved down to Tampa and it seems when everyone learns I'm from Chicago, they make a comment about the Chubs. Of course, I laugh at them and point to the supperiority of the White Sox! But the perspective outside of the city is that Chicago baseball = Cubs and it is starting to make me sick. All the years of propoganda spewed from WGN has raised the Cubs nationally and killed the Sox.

And we have no one to blame for that but Eddie Einhorn for SportsVision.

SoxOnTop
07-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
And we have no one to blame for that but Eddie Einhorn for SportsVision.

No joke. You know I was trying to think back as far as I could, but I don't have any memories of watching the Sox on TV before I went to High School. I have several memories of the Cubs on WGN w/ Harry spewing nonsense, but none of the Sox. I'm 25 and I can see why there are so many young Cubs fans. They've been fed this lovable loser crap since they could think for themselves.

BearSox
07-21-2003, 11:18 AM
I hope Jordan is just ignorant in thinking everybody likes the cubs and is not really a Cubs fan because Dream Theater is my favorite band! I know several musicians will wear jerseys of the town they're playing in most notably Carter of Dave Matthews Band.

TornLabrum
07-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
No joke. You know I was trying to think back as far as I could, but I don't have any memories of watching the Sox on TV before I went to High School. I have several memories of the Cubs on WGN w/ Harry spewing nonsense, but none of the Sox. I'm 25 and I can see why there are so many young Cubs fans. They've been fed this lovable loser crap since they could think for themselves.

On second thought it goes back farther than that. In 1968, despite the pleadings of their longtime TV play-by-play man, Jack Brickhouse, the Allyn ownership pulled the Sox off Channel 9 in order to get all of their games broadcast. Back then very few people had UHF, and the big attraction was Saturday night bullfights on Channel 26. The Sox made it back to Channel 9 by the end of the Veeck regime, but on a very limited basis, unlike the Cubs...and then came SportsVision to sell the public what they originally had for free. Einhorn didn't get a dime from me.

I found a way to get around the box by using the UHF fine tuner on an old B&W set we had while listening to the game on the radio.