PDA

View Full Version : JD Drew rumors still Hot

fledgedrallycap
07-21-2003, 09:15 AM
I have been doing some reading on the Internet and FoxSports have the White Sox as the front-runner with another 5-6 teams in the JD Drew sweepstakes. According to FS, the Cards are interested in unloading Drew's salary for prospects so they can pursue a starting pitcher. Drew has expressed his desire to play Center and cannot do so with Jim Edmonds in St. Louis. I like Drew, but I don't see how this is even possible with the already crowded Sox outfield, especially when there have been little talk besides Colon on the trade front for the Sox.

OEO Magglio
07-21-2003, 09:29 AM
I agree completely, I really like Drew, but if the sox traded for him, it would be hard to fit him in the field, unless one of the sox outfielders was involved in the deal.

voodoochile
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have been doing some reading on the Internet and FoxSports have the White Sox as the front-runner with another 5-6 teams in the JD Drew sweepstakes. According to FS, the Cards are interested in unloading Drew's salary for prospects so they can pursue a starting pitcher. Drew has expressed his desire to play Center and cannot do so with Jim Edmonds in St. Louis. I like Drew, but I don't see how this is even possible with the already crowded Sox outfield, especially when there have been little talk besides Colon on the trade front for the Sox.

Maybe they will take Everett to play the corner position. Yeah, it doesn't unload the salary immediately, but it gives them draft picks and no salary at the end of the year.

WinningUgly!
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
I like Drew, but this guy is very fragile, with constant injury problems. All season long he's been in the lineup for a day or two, then misses a game or two. I don't think he can physically handle playing the CF position everyday & he wouldn't exactly be a defensive upgrade on Carl Everett either.

Unregistered
07-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
All season long he's been in the lineup for a day or two, then misses a game or two. I don't think he can physically handle playing the CF position everyday & he wouldn't exactly be a defensive upgrade on Carl Everett either.
:jerry
"You mean I'll get to 'rest' a player every 2 days who actually NEEDS it??? Must...sit...down...room...spinning..."

WinningUgly!
07-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
:jerry
"You mean I'll get to 'rest' a player every 2 days who actually NEEDS it??? Must...sit...down...room...spinning..."

LOL! He'd be the perfect guy for the ol' Tinkeroo!

TheRockinMT
07-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I think JD Drew can be a plus for our team, but the question is what do the Cards want in return? Sometimes these names are out there for trades only to see what interest others have and then when you inquire they want the sun and the moon plus your bank account. A relief pitcher maybe or a starter? Carlos Lee?

WinningUgly!
07-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I think JD Drew can be a plus for our team, but the question is what do the Cards want in return? Sometimes these names are out there for trades only to see what interest others have and then when you inquire they want the sun and the moon plus your bank account. A relief pitcher maybe or a starter? Carlos Lee?

Don't forget who JD Drew's agent is. :(:

FJA
07-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT

The Cards would almost undoubtedly want an SP, and one that can give them a lot of help now, meaning Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza or MAYBE Garland. Considering we picked up Everett, whose bat is as good and defense only a little worse than Drew's in CF (not to mention the Drew injury factor), I would not be a fan of a trade for Drew with the Cards.

MHOUSE
07-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by FJA
The Cards would almost undoubtedly want an SP, and one that can give them a lot of help now, meaning Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza or MAYBE Garland. Considering we picked up Everett, whose bat is as good and defense only a little worse than Drew's in CF (not to mention the Drew injury factor), I would not be a fan of a trade for Drew with the Cards.

That hits the nail on the head. Everett is a similar player, but without the injury risk. Who knows what we'd have to give up and it would be tough to get him into the lineup. I think it would be a worthless trade and Everett will be just fine.

duke of dorwood
07-21-2003, 01:35 PM
Bet they'd take Rick White back

gosox41
07-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

The Sox really need Drew. Can you imagine how much fun JM will ahve tinkering with this line up? And Drew is so injury prone. It's stupid to give up a lot for a guy who has beenall hype throughout his career.

Bob