PDA

View Full Version : Non-Sox - Prior Scandal?

chosk8
07-21-2003, 08:52 AM
This is hypothetical, but is it possible Dusty Baylor and Prior himself knew of the severity of his injury at the time of the All-Star game? I don't know the details of Prior's contract, but if there is some bonus for making the ASG, Baker has been known for trying to take care of his own and maybe kept this hush-hush. Especially since his DL stint will be retroactive to July 12, a couple days before the ASG. Not only that, but another healthy player was then not given the opportunity to participate. I can almost hear Baker telling Prior, "we'll keep this quiet, I won't play you and you get your bonus". My only wish is that the game would have gone extra innings and Baker was forced to use Prior and then explain how he used an injured player in the ASG.

gosox41
07-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
This is hypothetical, but is it possible Dusty Baylor and Prior himself knew of the severity of his injury at the time of the All-Star game? I don't know the details of Prior's contract, but if there is some bonus for making the ASG, Baker has been known for trying to take care of his own and maybe kept this hush-hush. Especially since his DL stint will be retroactive to July 12, a couple days before the ASG. Not only that, but another healthy player was then not given the opportunity to participate. I can almost hear Baker telling Prior, "we'll keep this quiet, I won't play you and you get your bonus". My only wish is that the game would have gone extra innings and Baker was forced to use Prior and then explain how he used an injured player in the ASG.

I believe that being named to an All Star team gets a player a bonux, not actually having to be healthy enough to play in it. I'm sure Mike Sweeney got his bonus even though he couldn't play.

Bob

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 08:59 AM

Even if that's the case, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were, that's hardly sinister, nor a scandal. Prior deserved to make the team, Dusty looked out for him. What's wrong with that? I would hope, if Manuel were in that position next year (let's hope he is!) that he would do the same for a White Sox.

Hangar18
07-21-2003, 09:01 AM

Interesting. I agree, the Messiah probably got his bonus when
he was named by Baker himself to be there. I like how the Cubs and Prior lied to their fans and said everything was ok. Then it was he had a strained groin. then he was missing a start to Wood could get a Marlins start in.......
Im glad Im not a fan of that team

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
he was named by Baker himself to be there. I like how the Cubs and Prior lied to their fans and said everything was ok. Then it was he had a strained groin. then he was missing a start to Wood could get a Marlins start in.......

I recall that 2 years ago, Frank Thomas had a sore arm that 2 weeks later was determined to be a torn triceps. Did you ever consider the possibility that Prior's injury was something they expected to heal quickly that didn't? I mean, I'm glad I'm not a fan of that team either, but it has nothing to do with how they report injuries ...

chosk8
07-21-2003, 09:12 AM
The whole incident cost Marcus Giles his start in the game as well. I just really wonder what would have happened if it would have come down to Prior being the last pitcher in an extra inning game. I agree, I believe you get the bonus as long as you make the game, so why take a chance that you might have to play the game. I understand the Cubs probably wanted to do everything possible to avoid a trip to the DL, but why take the chance? I know this is all hindsight, but still. The way this board bashes Manuel, he would have been murdered if this was Buehrle.

Vsahajpal
07-21-2003, 09:48 AM

Prior was voted in by his peers, he received the 3rd most votes among pitchers from players around MLB. I guess, the NL was only supposed to send 2 pitchers though, huh?

Hangar18
07-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Prior was voted in by his peers, he received the 3rd most votes among pitchers from players around MLB. I guess, the NL was only supposed to send 2 pitchers though, huh?

actually, I knew that, but forgot. I stand corrected
The Messiah still lied about being hurt....

chosk8
07-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

No, Kevin Brown was put on the 15-day DL on July 12th and came back July 19th and he was replaced just as Prior would have been replaced.

Vsahajpal
07-21-2003, 09:58 AM
actually, I knew that, but forgot. I stand corrected
The Messiah still lied about being hurt....

lol, sure he did.

Viva Magglio
07-21-2003, 09:59 AM
I am not buying into any conspiracy theories there. The Cubs medical staff probably did not realize the severity of Prior's injury at the time. Remember, he was named to the ASG before the collision with Giles. Also, they originally planned to use him Saturday against the Fighting Fish and then Tuesday against the Braves.

chosk8
07-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I recall that 2 years ago, Frank Thomas had a sore arm that 2 weeks later was determined to be a torn triceps. Did you ever consider the possibility that Prior's injury was something they expected to heal quickly that didn't? I mean, I'm glad I'm not a fan of that team either, but it has nothing to do with how they report injuries ...

He had a contusion on his right shoulder from his run in with Marcus Giles. If he was injured he should have stepped aside for someone else.

chosk8
07-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I am not buying into any conspiracy theories there. The Cubs medical staff probably did not realize the severity of Prior's injury at the time. Remember, he was named to the ASG before the collision with Giles. Also, they originally planned to use him Saturday against the Fighting Fish and then Tuesday against the Braves.

Giles was voted in before the collision as well. He didn't play.

I have nothing against Prior, he seems like a decent guy, but I'm just questioning what if he had to be used in that game. Baker and the Cubs end up looking real stupid, which would have been fine with me. Scandal may be too harsh a word.