PDA

View Full Version : Where has this Dodger icon gone?

1951Campbell
07-20-2003, 09:24 PM
So, as long as I can remember (that goes to the very early '80s), there has been a gentleman behind home plate at every Dodger home game who would always wear an impeccable suit and a Panama hat, and he would clock every pitch with a radar gun from behind home plate. Watching the Sunday Night game on ESPN, I see that he's not back there. Does anybody know who he is or where he's gone? I am the only person who noticed this guy?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
So, as long as I can remember (that goes to the very early '80s), there has been a gentleman behind home plate at every Dodger home game who would always wear an impeccable suit and a Panama hat, and he would clock every pitch with a radar gun from behind home plate. Watching the Sunday Night game on ESPN, I see that he's not back there. Does anybody know who he is or where he's gone? I am the only person who noticed this guy?

I know who you're talking about and I've been wondering the same thing. Did Murdoch kick him out after he bought the team from O'Malley? It seems he has been MIA for at least a couple of years already. :(:

To a TV viewer like me, that guy was as much a part of Dodgers baseball as those palm trees growing out in the bullpen. :cool:

JJAustin69
07-20-2003, 10:06 PM
I remember that Panama Jack type guy. I don't know anything about the LA scene though. We have a couple of members undercover out there though, maybe they know something.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I remember that Panama Jack type guy. I don't know anything about the LA scene though. We have a couple of members undercover out there though, maybe they know something.

:hurt

"Nobody is supposed to know about the WSI undercover operatives. They are scouting the Los Angeles Dodgers, so that I know what kind of team I'll be playing on next season."

Lip Man 1
07-20-2003, 10:50 PM
I don't remember his name but he was a long time scout for the Dodgers and "discovered" Fernando Valenzuela.

Lip

hose
07-20-2003, 10:55 PM
The guy would always have a cigar in his mouth and every game Vin Scully would mention that he could hit .300 with it.

Viva Magglio
07-20-2003, 11:11 PM
The guy's name is Mike Brito, but I do not know his whereabouts.

Procol Harum
07-21-2003, 10:09 AM
I noticed him earlier this year hanging out in his usual digs, but minus his trademark radar gun--seems like there has been some sort of change of status. Yeah, he's been a fixture at Chavez Ravine for at least 20 years....

1951Campbell
07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The guy's name is Mike Brito, but I do not know his whereabouts.

Now I have a name. Thanks. Off to Google.

:smile:

OKCSoxFan
07-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Here's a link to a page my Dodger buddies covet. This guy is a true icon to Dodger fans...

It's probably too heavy for the boards... (http://http://www.psych-health.com/brito.htm)