PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Sunday, 7-20 Vs. Tigers

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments. All others will be deleted. The chat room is open.

Go Sox! Shave Hawks head!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=211460

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 02:12 PM
It would be nice if the Sox could make Hawk shave his head. All he'd have to do is grow a goatee, and he'd look good. Anyway, I can't get into chat from my work computer. What can I do about it?

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
It would be nice if the Sox could make Hawk shave his head. All he'd have to do is grow a goatee, and he'd look good. Anyway, I can't get into chat from my work computer. What can I do about it?

Have you rebooted? If that doesn't work, you need to go to the Sun website and look for a Sun virtual machine download. I don't have a link for you. If that doesn't work, it maybe your firewall doesn't allow that type of web link to work.

Saracen
07-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Big Frank! 2-0 Sox.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info, Voodoo. BTW, how 'bout Frank's 90th career 1st inning HR? Sweet!!!!!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Let's dance...put on your red shoes and dance the blues...

JJAustin69
07-20-2003, 02:42 PM
So you are saying that Loaiza isn't going to lose to the Tigers 1-0 again. Two runs may be all he needs.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 02:48 PM
He'd better not. As well as he's been pitching this season, he needs to have at least 15 or 16 wins already. He's only had 2 games where he wasn't in it. Esteban's awesome, and I'm glad he's getting his props. Let's win one for E-Lo!!!!

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
So you are saying that Loaiza isn't going to lose to the Tigers 1-0 again. Two runs may be all he needs.

He'd better not. As well as he's been pitching this season, he needs to have at least 15 or 16 wins already. He's only had 2 games where he wasn't in it. Esteban's awesome, and I'm glad he's getting his props. Let's win one for E-Lo!!!!

They just flashed ELo's stats against the Tigers this year.

He is 2-2 with a 1.21 ERA

2-2... how sad is that...

Unregistered
07-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Good Lord, Frank got all of that one...
3-0 SOX.

Saracen
07-20-2003, 02:56 PM
The Sox are hammering the ball today.

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Magglio, stop watching the damn ball and start running the minute you hit it.

This has GOT to stop. He should have been out at second, but if he runs, it isn't close.

Unregistered
07-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Good to see Carlos make up for what would have been an awful AB, and even better to see Konerko finally starting to hit a little bit. Hell, I'll take singles all day from Paulie. Better than ground balls to short...

lowesox
07-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Welcome back Mr. Konerko. I've missed you.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They just flashed ELo's stats against the Tigers this year.

He is 2-2 with a 1.21 ERA

2-2... how sad is that... Shame...just a doggone shame. He deserves MUCH BETTER than that.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Good Lord, Frank got all of that one...
3-0 SOX. How deep was it? I missed. I can't watch the game...no FSN in my office.

lowesox
07-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Why wouldn't Crede be bunting with a 4-0 lead and 1st and 2nd nobody out. That's unforgiveable managing if you ask me.

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:06 PM
How deep was it? I missed. I can't watch the game...no FSN in my office.

10 rows deep in LCF. It was also skyhigh...

hsnterprize
Originally posted by Unregistered
Good to see Carlos make up for what would have been an awful AB, and even better to see Konerko finally starting to hit a little bit. Hell, I'll take singles all day from Paulie. Better than ground balls to short... Remember...it was Konerko's hit that started the rally in last night's game. Also...is it me, or does it seem like Paulie is swining DOWN at the ball or trying to lift it up out of the park everytime he's at the plate. I just find his swing a bit odd, that's all. Maybe that's a reason why he had such a bad first half of the season.

voodoochile
Originally posted by lowesox
Why wouldn't Crede be bunting with a 4-0 lead and 1st and 2nd nobody out. That's unforgiveable managing if you ask me.

That is a good question...

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:08 PM
I like Ed Farmer as a person. I've met him...but I can't stand his play-by-play announcing style. This guy's more flat than the midwestern landscape.

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Remember...it was Konerko's hit that started the rally in last night's game. Also...is it me, or does it seem like Paulie is swining DOWN at the ball or trying to lift it up out of the park everytime he's at the plate. I just find his swing a bit odd, that's all. Maybe that's a reason why he had such a bad first half of the season.

He's using his upper body a lot more than in the past. There is little stride in it.

BTW, his second single today was a ground ball to short, that was well placed...

JJAustin69
07-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Why wouldn't Crede be bunting with a 4-0 lead and 1st and 2nd nobody out. That's unforgiveable managing if you ask me. Because they are afraid they can't execute a bunt. It would have kept them out of the DP situation if he could have gotten one down though.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Good hittin' Paulie!!! BTW...that pitch that Loaiza struck out Witt must have been well placed. GameDay says it was right at the knees over the plate. Good placement.

lowesox
07-20-2003, 03:14 PM
This team can't bunt at all, which speaks volumes about the manager. I watched KC play Seatle yesterday and KC was bunting the M's to death.

That's the difference between the sox and the royals. The royals are good because of their manager. And the sox are bad because of theirs.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:14 PM
So far, 5K's in 4 innings of work. Good pitching. That's why he deserves a lot more respect in the win column.

lowesox
07-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Good hittin' Paulie!!! BTW...that pitch that Loaiza struck out Witt must have been well placed. GameDay says it was right at the knees over the plate. Good placement.

I've always wondered: is gameday recorded by a person, or some kind of machine? I'm never sure how reliable it's locations are.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Wouldn't is be something if Graffanino hit for the cycle today?

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:17 PM
I've always wondered: is gameday recorded by a person, or some kind of machine? I'm never sure how reliable it's locations are. There's someone in the pressbox working for MLB.com that runs it. I've seen that stuff done, and it's kinda interesting.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Tony gets another triple!!!!! Not bad. So much for Jerry's "tinkering".

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Damnit Graffy! You only needed a single to complete your 2-game 4 AB cycle... You go and wreck it with a triple... :D:

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Tony gets another triple!!!!! Not bad. So much for Jerry's "tinkering".

Yeah, even Jerry can't screw it up when everyone is hitting...

Blind squirrel :jerry
"Hey look, a nut..."

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:21 PM
ROTF!!!!!

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:22 PM
That's another RBI for the Big Hurt!!!!! 5-0 Sox. Maybe they're tired of losing to these poor saps!!!

Saracen
07-20-2003, 03:23 PM
7-0 SOX!

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:23 PM
MAGGS GOES YARD!!!!! And to NOT quote Chris Berman...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOARD...YES!!!!!!!

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Thank goodness this lineup is working. Knowing "The Tinkerer," an entirely new lineup will be used for tomorrow's game. Let's hope the Sox can get something going and gain ground on the Royals. I for one am sick of seeing KC in first place.

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:27 PM
At least Maggs watching that last one didn't hurt the team...

:maggs
"When you swing is this pretty, you have to watch the ball for a good .5 seconds after it is hit. Pretty pretty pretty..."

:pudge
"SHUT UP AND RUN!"

Unregistered
07-20-2003, 03:27 PM
I love it. Second time today that a hitter goes yard after being thrown at high and in (Frank got the same pitch thrown at him in his second AB before going yard). Glad we rocked that punk for 7R in 3 2/3...

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:28 PM
I would love to see the Sox really pound the crap out of Detroit today. It's about time they hit like they are capable of.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Is it me, or does Eric Munson hit a lot of home runs against the Sox?

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Is it me, or does Eric Munson hit a lot of home runs against the Sox? I saw Munson hit a long ball against the Sox on opening day. For some reason, he can hit well against the pale hose.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:36 PM
At least Maggs watching that last one didn't hurt the team...

:maggs
"When you swing is this pretty, you have to watch the ball for a good .5 seconds after it is hit. Pretty pretty pretty..."

:pudge
"SHUT UP AND RUN!"

Hey...where do you get all this wit from? Were you born with it, or did you have to practice?

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:37 PM
I would love to see the Sox really pound the crap out of Detroit today. It's about time they hit like they are capable of. Hopefully, they're starting to peak at the right time. I just hope it's not too late considering KC and Minnesota are in front of us.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Prediction: Either Thomas or Ordonez will get a day off sometime within the next week.

Saracen
07-20-2003, 03:38 PM
KONERKO IS ON FIRE!!!

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Even Paulie's crackin' 'em. Good hit, Paul...welcome back to the Sox offense!!!!! Rooney says he's 10 for the last 19 AB's. Not bad...not bad at all.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
KONERKO IS ON FIRE!!!

Yeah, that could really make a difference with this team. I've never seen the three day all-star break make such a difference with a person before.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Even Paulie's crackin' 'em. Good hit, Paul...welcome back to the Sox offense!!!!! Rooney says he's 10 for the last 19 AB's. Not bad...not bad at all.

If Konerko can keep this up, the Sox should be able to score runs in bunches. Teams won't be able to pitch around Everett or Lee to get to Paulie, which they were doing earlier in the season.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:41 PM
You have got to be kidding me!!!!! Valentin's gone yard!!!!! I think KC better watch out.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:42 PM
You have got to be kidding me!!!!! Valentin's gone yard!!!!! I think KC better watch out.

Good grief! For once, Manuel's tinkering has actually worked.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:42 PM
If Konerko can keep this up, the Sox should be able to score runs in bunches. Teams won't be able to pitch around Everett or Lee to get to Paulie, which they were doing earlier in the season. My biggest fear is that the Sox will have 2 outs before they decide to do something. Rallies like this need to start with either none or 1 out. 2-out rallies are nice for the dramatic effect, but one bad hit, and that's the 3rd out, and the rally is dead. The Sox can do this against Detroit, but not against the KC's, Yankees, and other contenders of the world.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:43 PM
I wonder how the "Pick to Click" contest is coming along?

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Must be some butter on the ball...or on the Tigers' hands. That's the second time I heard an outfielder dropping a ball today.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:45 PM
My biggest fear is that the Sox will have 2 outs before they decide to do something. Rallies like this need to start with either none or 1 out. 2-out rallies are nice for the dramatic effect, but one bad hit, and that's the 3rd out, and the rally is dead. The Sox can do this against Detroit, but not against the KC's, Yankees, and other contenders of the world.

You're right, but the fact that they are at least scoring runs now is a big improvement over what they were doing earlier. If this team is finally starting the figure things out, that bodes well for the rest of the season. On the other hand, this may be another "tease" by the Sox, making us think that they're coming around. They need to keep this up for a while in order to give the pitching staff the run support they need.

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey...where do you get all this wit from? Were you born with it, or did you have to practice?

My whole family is a bunch of smartasses. Call it learned behavior. Thanks for the compliment.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:49 PM
1st point...at this pace, I'll hit 300 posts before this game is over. 2nd point...the biggest Achilles' heel against the Sox can be summed up in one word...INCONSISTENT!!!!! This team has the talent to run away with this division, and it's underacheving has many Sox fans madder than spit. Even Hawk Harrleson said on TV, and I'm quoting him, this is the "most underachieving team I've ever seen."

If this is the time the Sox are starting to get out of their doldrums, then it's full speed ahead. If this is another "tease", then it'll be a long off-season for the Sox and us fans.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 03:51 PM
My whole family is a bunch of smartasses. Call it learned behavior. Thanks for the compliment. No problem. I think I married into such a family. My wife has a tendency to throw a lot of "comebacks" at me when we have "heated conversations". I've even resorted to my "stereotypical black behavior" and tried to use the "dozens" a few times. Too bad I like my mother-in-law too much.

BTW...6K's for E-Lo.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 03:53 PM
FYI: ESPN must have the most worthless statisticians in the world. According their web-site, Paul Konerko has only six home runs, not seven. The ESPN Gamecast has been incorrectly reporting his numbers for the past few days, and his player profile is also messed up.

There is also a mistake regarding the number of RBIs that Frank has this season. Coming into today, he had forty nine runs batted in. ESPN lists him as having forty eight.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Bad base-running strikes again as Maggs is doubled off first.

delben91
07-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Wow, I go away for the weekend and the Sox learn how to play the Tigers just like the rest of the league does. And Konerko figures out what that "bat thing" is for.

Too bad the Royals and Twins are beating up on the AL West. If we barely tread water against the Tigers, doesn't bode well for us catching teams that are killing Seattle and Oakland.

Hope I'm wrong, and regardless, GO SOX!

WhiteSox = Life
07-20-2003, 04:07 PM
No problem. I think I married into such a family. My wife has a tendency to throw a lot of "comebacks" at me when we have "heated conversations". I've even resorted to my "stereotypical black behavior" and tried to use the "dozens" a few times. Too bad I like my mother-in-law too much.

BTW...6K's for E-Lo.

Oh, man. That takes me back to In Living Color's game show, "The Dirty Dozens". I hope I'm not the only one to remember that.

The best Yo Mama jokes win.

Yo Mama's so fat, I had to take a train and two buses just to get on her good side.

Yo Mama's so stupid, she went to the store to buy a color TV and asked what colors they had.

Yo Mama's so ugly, people at the circus pay money not to see her.

All right. Just a few Yo Mama jokes for a warm Sunday afternoon. Enjoy!

Done Life-Style

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Here's some news from the Associated Press wires. Starting with the OTHER team in this town...whose name rhymes with SCRUBS...the A.P. is reporting that pitcher Mark Prior will miss his scheduled start on Tuesday because he's "bothered by soreness in his right shoulder". He is still leering from the pre All-Star Game collision with Atlanta's Marcus Giles in July 11th. Right-hander Sergio Mitre will be called up from Double-A West Tennessee to make his Major League debut in Prior's place.

In other news, Jeff Bagwell his 2 home runs in Houston's 6 to 3 win over Cincinnati. His 2nd home run was the 400th of his career. The A.P. reports that Bagwell is the 35th player to reach 400 career HR's.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 04:12 PM
In other news, Jeff Bagwell his 2 home runs in Houston's 6 to 3 win over Cincinnati. His 2nd home run was the 400th of his career. The A.P. reports that Bagwell is the 35th player to reach 400 career HR's.

That's irronic, because Frank Thomas is sure to be the next, and he shares a birthday with Bagwell- May 27, 1968.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Oh, man. That takes me back to In Living Color's game show, "The Dirty Dozens". I hope I'm not the only one to remember that.

The best Yo Mama jokes win.

Yo Mama's so fat, I had to take a train and two buses just to get on her good side.

Yo Mama's so stupid, she went to the store to buy a color TV and asked what colors they had.

Yo Mama's so ugly, people at the circus pay money not to see her.

All right. Just a few Yo Mama jokes for a warm Sunday afternoon. Enjoy!

Done Life-Style Trust me...you're not the only one who remembers those skits. Nick Bakay was the perfect host for that "game show". However, understand that while In Living Color brought the "dozens" to the mainstream, the classic "Yo' Mama" jokes are a mainstay in "black life". Watch a few episodes of "Good Times" or listen to some old Richard Pryor jokes, and you'll get just how funny and raunchy they can get. Also understand that while I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, saying "Yo' Mama" to someone was considered "fighting words". I saw someone get beat up in a fight more for saying "Yo Mama" to the other person rather than the original cause of the fight.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Wow, I go away for the weekend and the Sox learn how to play the Tigers just like the rest of the league does. And Konerko figures out what that "bat thing" is for.

Too bad the Royals and Twins are beating up on the AL West. If we barely tread water against the Tigers, doesn't bode well for us catching teams that are killing Seattle and Oakland.

Hope I'm wrong, and regardless, GO SOX!

Probably because the A's and Mariners had so many all-stars and now the whole team is tired.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Why is Loaiza NOT pitching this inning? What's up with him? I just heard Glover throw a wild pitch. He's got 2 outs, though, and that's good. But what's up with E-Lo?

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Why is Loaiza NOT pitching this inning? What's up with him? I just heard Glover throw a wild pitch. He's got 2 outs, though, and that's good. But what's up with E-Lo?

Good opportunity to get Glover some work and not tire ELo out. He was under 100 pitches, but had nothing to prove and could only wear himself down by finishing. Even the Sox bullpen should be able to bring this one home. They might even pitch Koch in the ninth...

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:25 PM
I like how the official Sox website got rid of that blue on the homepage. It looked so out of place with the black and silver color scheme the team has. Those pinwheel graphics look good too.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Good opportunity to get Glover some work and not tire ELo out. He was under 100 pitches, but had nothing to prove and could only wear himself down by finishing. Even the Sox bullpen should be able to bring this one home. They might even pitch Koch in the ninth... As much as I can't stand how Koch is so good in blowing games and getting into tough situations, I'd like for his to get some work so he can either get his "stroke" back, or be good trade value.

WinningUgly!
07-20-2003, 04:33 PM
As much as I can't stand how Koch is so good in blowing games and getting into tough situations, I'd like for his to get some work so he can either get his "stroke" back, or be good trade value.

It figures that Koch finally has a 1-2-3 9th inning...in a 10-1 game!

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:34 PM
They might even pitch Koch in the ninth... Yup...you called it.

AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:37 PM
The Sox take 3 out of 4 from the Motor City Kitties. That's what should've been happening lately. Now, it's the Tribe coming to town. Anyone know the pitching matchups for half-price night?

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 04:39 PM
The Sox take 3 out of 4 from the Motor City Kitties. That's what should've been happening lately. Now, it's the Tribe coming to town. Anyone know the pitching matchups for half-price night?

Porzi Vs. Mulholland according to ESPN.

hsnterprize
07-20-2003, 04:41 PM
How can I get an avatar underneath my name? Just wondering.

flo-B-flo
07-20-2003, 04:42 PM
just the game you put koch in

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 04:52 PM
How can I get an avatar underneath my name? Just wondering.

Avatars are for Mods and Admins only. You can make a contribution to the website to get the "I support WSI" ($10-20) or "Keep the Sock Flying" ($29.95) Avatar.

WSI Online Shop (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Shop/index.htm)

Click "Memberships" to find the above options.

adsit
07-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Porzi Vs. Mulholland according to ESPN.

Cleveland used Mulholland today for their last inning against the Cranks, so I dunno if they'll stick to that plan.

Dave

RKMeibalane
07-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Cleveland used Mulholland today for their last inning against the Cranks, so I dunno if they'll stick to that plan.

Dave

Darn. I was hoping he would pitch against the Sox so they could have another blowout win. It seems like everybody tears Mulholland apart these days. It's sad, because I can remember back when he was a good pitcher for the Phillies. He threw a no-hitter back in 1990.