PDA

View Full Version : Jose Valentin on Defined Roles

TornLabrum
07-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Something I won't be using for the more upbeat WCSF newsletter I edit, but which says plenty:

Jose Valentin was asked yesterday whether or not it bothered him and other players to have the batting order constantly tinkered with by Jerry Manuel. He responded, "When you come into your own houe, you know you're going to sleep in your own bed. It's ths same way when your hitting. You feel comfortable when you know where you're going to be hitting....I like to know where I'm going to hit, but you just have to suck it up and do your job."

I have nothing of my own to add. This says it all.

JJAustin69
07-19-2003, 02:17 PM
So that means he will be batting second tonight after batting sixth yesterday. :jerry "Yes or he may need some rest."

RKMeibalane
07-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Something I won't be using for the more upbeat WCSF newsletter I edit, but which says plenty:

Jose Valentin was asked yesterday whether or not it bothered him and other players to have the batting order constantly tinkered with by Jerry Manuel. He responded, "When you come into your own houe, you know you're going to sleep in your own bed. It's ths same way when your hitting. You feel comfortable when you know where you're going to be hitting....I like to know where I'm going to hit, but you just have to suck it up and do your job."

I have nothing of my own to add. This says it all.

This is yet more proof that Manuel needs to be fired. Everybody except Manuel sees that tinkering with the lineup isn't going to work, yet JM keeps doing it. Someone needs to fire this moron, and soon.

idseer
07-19-2003, 08:36 PM
the absurdity isn't so much that he tinkers. the absurdity lies in the fact that tinkering should mean something. it means you're searching for a better, more workable and effective arrangment. it should be a means to an end. but that's not what manuel does. he learns nothing from it ... he simply does it! apparently it makes him feel like he's controlling things. success doesn't really matter. he would never recognize the lineup he's supposedly trying to find if he saw it. what really ticks me off tho, is that it HAS to be obvious to jr and yet we continue with this charade.

voodoochile
07-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by idseer
the absurdity isn't so much that he tinkers. the absurdity lies in the fact that tinkering should mean something. it means you're searching for a better, more workable and effective arrangment. it should be a means to an end. but that's not what manuel does. he learns nothing from it ... he simply does it! apparently it makes him feel like he's controlling things. success doesn't really matter. he would never recognize the lineup he's supposedly trying to find if he saw it. what really ticks me off tho, is that it HAS to be obvious to jr and yet we continue with this charade.

:jerry
"Do you have any idea how boring this job is if i just send out the same guys in the same order and same positions night after night? Watch me work this now. I'll Pinch hit for the pinch hitter. I'll make Rowand play two different defensive positions in 2 innings. I just can't help myself..."

WHarris13
07-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'll Pinch hit for the pinch hitter.
Just to let you know this turned out great.

SluggersAway
07-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Crazy Jerry says...

"Screw what any of my players think, when Valentin is managing this ballclub he can do whatever the hell he pleases. Till then, it'll be my sociopathic calculations as plentiful as the piss on the floor in the bathrooms at Wrigley."

voodoochile
07-20-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by WHarris13
Just to let you know this turned out great.

You are correct. I admit that I was going for a cheap laugh. I actually liked the move, but was surprised he didn't use Sandy since it was the catchers slot. I am glad he used Graffy. Heck, I made him the PTC, so I got no complaints. I think overall this was one of Jerry's better jobs of game management. The Sox manufactured an insurance run and were very focused when they had to be. His substitutions were better - leaving Everett in for the 7th so he could lead off the 8th and then after Everett walked using Harris as the PR/defensive substitution. It showed more foresight than he usually does.