PDA

View Full Version : Following the Sox from afar

adsit
07-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering how the out-of-towners on this board keep up with Sox play-by-play. I know there's streaming audio subscriptions, premium baseball packages on cable, etc., but before I sink money into one of those options, I want to know if it's worth it from a White Sox fan's perspective. Do they carry enough games, does the service suck, etc.

Or is everyone like me, going to the game page on Sportsline and hitting "refresh" every 30 seconds?

I'm trying to be the more involved Sox fan I once was, but after a few years of being surrounded by Red Sox and Yank-me drones and their propaganda, I've gotten lazy. And even though the Sox'll likely break my heart for the 27th consecutive year, I still want to observe them doing it in real time.

Oh, and by the way... hi everyone...

Dave

WinningUgly!
07-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by adsit
I'm wondering how the out-of-towners on this board keep up with Sox play-by-play. I know there's streaming audio subscriptions, premium baseball packages on cable, etc., but before I sink money into one of those options, I want to know if it's worth it from a White Sox fan's perspective. Do they carry enough games, does the service suck, etc.

Or is everyone like me, going to the game page on Sportsline and hitting "refresh" every 30 seconds?

I'm trying to be the more involved Sox fan I once was, but after a few years of being surrounded by Red Sox and Yank-me drones and their propaganda, I've gotten lazy. And even though the Sox'll likely break my heart for the 27th consecutive year, I still want to observe them doing it in real time.

Dave

Welcome aboard! This is the year! :gulp: :)

npdempse
07-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Have you watched the javascript play-by-plays that Sportsline, ESPN, and MLB offer for free (MLB's is called "gameday")? If I can't be near a radio or TV during a game, these are great alternatives. Actually even a little superior in some ways, as you have a running pitch count, live stats on all the players, etc.

adsit
07-19-2003, 01:27 PM
I'll sit on Sportsline's game page when I'm online during a game, but they seem really slow to update, and I have to do it manually, which is annoying.

I haven't been on ESPN in a while. Their gamecast never used to work right on my old, crappier computer, but it might work now on my new, less crappy one. I'll try it out today. Thanks for the tip!

Dave

JJAustin69
07-19-2003, 01:29 PM
ESPN Gamecast is notoriously slow though. It can even run an inning or so behind. Very frustrating. Sometimes I have to go to the chat room here at WSI to get updates. I don't know about the streaming pay sites. Sounds like a good idea if you are going to spend a lot of time "watching" on the net.

JJAustin69
07-19-2003, 01:35 PM
I see that ESPN Radio 1000 has a streaming audio link here at WSI but, unfortunately, it is down. Has anyone tried this when it was working?

Fridaythe13thJason
07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Last year, I had the MLB subscription for DirecTV. You actually get quite a few games...probably 3 or 4 per week, coupled with usually one WGN game, you mostly miss the Wednesday Nighters.

This year, I have mlb.tv on my computer. You pretty much get every game here. Depending on your connection, it works really well. I have a monster t1 connection, though, so I can't comment on normal connections.

I also have the MLB Audio to supplement both of those.

It's a lot more work, and I'm going home for next season (for other reasons) but I certainly haven't lacked in it. The area where I miss out is local sports talk and just being immersed in an area devoted to a team.

jcw218
07-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I see that ESPN Radio 1000 has a streaming audio link here at WSI but, unfortunately, it is down. Has anyone tried this when it was working?

As far as I know, the live web cast of White Sox Games on am 1000 is gone. Something to do with mlb's game day audio. I have not tried in a while so I may be wrong.

trimbo
07-19-2003, 02:05 PM
I listen on ESPN 1000 on MLB Radio over the internet while I work. It's fine for me, I don't really like fast forwarding through games on Tivo, but I do it just to catch the highlights or watch pitching sequences sometimes.

harwar
07-19-2003, 02:26 PM
I get MLB extra-innings from "IN Demand".I get anywhere from 9 to 14 games a day.If fox didn't take over saturday from 12 noon to 6pm central,i would get even more.I'm retired now and i feel that i couldn't get by without it as without in demand i would get very few White Sox games.I'm lucky to be just close enough(lake wisconsin) to pick up AM 1000,so i listen to the games on both radio & tv.

voodoochile
07-19-2003, 02:29 PM
I'll sit on Sportsline's game page when I'm online during a game, but they seem really slow to update, and I have to do it manually, which is annoying.

I haven't been on ESPN in a while. Their gamecast never used to work right on my old, crappier computer, but it might work now on my new, less crappy one. I'll try it out today. Thanks for the tip!

Dave

If not, Yahoo! Sports has one too. It works when the ESPN one doesn't, which isn't all that rare...

For a while there was a website that was offering free broadcasts of MLB from affliates that refused to comply with MLB's money making scheme, but my link doesn't work, so I don't know if it is still out there.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If not, Yahoo! Sports has one too. It works when the ESPN one doesn't, which isn't all that rare...

For a while there was a website that was offering free broadcasts of MLB from affliates that refused to comply with MLB's money making scheme, but my link doesn't work, so I don't know if it is still out there.

What was the name of the site? I'll see if I can find it.

JJAustin69
07-19-2003, 03:14 PM
What was the name of the site? I'll see if I can find it. [/QUOTE] Thanks that would be a big help if it was still out there. I have been looking around the net for Sox affiliates in an attempt to get around the MLB thing myself. With no luck as of yet.

voodoochile
07-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What was the name of the site? I'll see if I can find it.

It was a geocites website, so good luck. Here is the address I have for it...

http://www.geocities.com/baursam/mlb.html

ScottySoxFan
07-19-2003, 05:31 PM
The best option is to find a sports bar that carries the InDemand package. Then you get beer too. :gulp:

I also subscribe to MLB.com's team streaming radio. I think it was $12 for the entire season. It may even be discounted now. The quality is fine, as there are usually no delays or anything. If you can pick up other streaming audio without any problems, getting the Sox pachage is a pretty good value.

JJAustin69
07-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

lowesox
07-19-2003, 06:53 PM
I live out of town. I used to listen to AM1000 over the web, but then greedy MLB decided they wanted people everywhere to pay for webcasts. I ordered their package last year, but it goes down all the time. And besides, i really don't think you should have to pay to listen to a baseball game.

So now I'm sticking with MLB Gameday, which I'm sure won't be free next year.

adsit
07-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan
The best option is to find a sports bar that carries the InDemand package. Then you get beer too. :gulp:

I also subscribe to MLB.com's team streaming radio. I think it was $12 for the entire season. It may even be discounted now. The quality is fine, as there are usually no delays or anything. If you can pick up other streaming audio without any problems, getting the Sox pachage is a pretty good value.

Sports bars around here seem to work better for game variety during football season. In summer I usually find them packed with YankMe, Bosox and Met fans. Not only am I too cool for that room, they leave few TVs to spare. Maybe when those other teams aren't on, and the Right Sox (as I've taken to calling them up here) are, I'll try to talk some beertender into dialling them up.

I did go to MLB.com this afternoon, based on earlier comments here. They had a cheaper deal that would give me access to Sox stuff only, but that's all I want anyway. Don't think they were offering it like that last year. My connection seems a little too jerky for the video, but I might spring for the audio if I can't get it for free.

Haven't found any half-season discounts yet for games on cable. Screw paying full boat for a season already half-played. Maybe next year I'll hook up with one of the MLB packages.

Between the audio, the game central Java thingies, and the WSI board, looks like I'm getting plugged in in a big damn hurry. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks.

Dave

kingpin_rcs
07-19-2003, 09:01 PM
I get the DirecTV MLB extra Innings package. This year the Wednesday block out is gone. I live in Portland so when the Sox are playing the Mariners i have to watch local coverage (also carried by DirecTV). I get the games on WGN no matter who they are playing. All in all I think I get at least 130 games a year. I have has the extra innings package for a few years now and I think it's worth it.

When I can't get the game I tend to go to MLB.com. As far as I know that is the only online simulator that shows the pitch location and where in the field the bal was hit.

I can also get pitch by pitch updates on my cell phone (at espn.com) pretty handy when you are travling :-)

kempsted
07-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Actually the MLB.com stuff is fantastic. I subscribed to Total Ticket last year and so still get it this year for 9.95 all teams.

I have never had MLB.com game day go down (it may have in the past I wouldn't know). I get all 162 games of EVERY team and archived (so I can still listen to April 2nds broadcast if I want.

But where the package really pays off is condensed games. Last year it was a handful of games a day. This year it is almost every game of every team. You can watch the whole game in about 20 min. I watch at least 4 MLB games a day. These are also archived all year.

They also as part of Total Ticket have the MLB.TV broadcasts which are full game broadcasts and again they are archived all year.

They also throw in Press Pass which is the notes for every team. This includes all the useless stats you hear on the radio or TV. In fact I printed out the Giants game day before I went to the Giants Sox game and as usual I brought my radio. Ed Farmer and John Rooney read sections of this word for word.

They also have Postgame.TV which are highlight shows - again of almost every game.

I have no problem paying for all of this because even if the radio games were available it would be worth it. The condensed games must take a fair amount of work, and the storage space for all of this costs money as well. I have nothing against paying for something on the internet if it is guiune content different. This is different from ESPN that charges you for yet another opinion of peter gammons.

1951Campbell
07-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
I get the DirecTV MLB extra Innings package. This year the Wednesday block out is gone. I live in Portland so when the Sox are playing the Mariners i have to watch local coverage (also carried by DirecTV). I get the games on WGN no matter who they are playing. All in all I think I get at least 130 games a year. I have has the extra innings package for a few years now and I think it's worth it.

When I can't get the game I tend to go to MLB.com. As far as I know that is the only online simulator that shows the pitch location and where in the field the bal was hit.

I can also get pitch by pitch updates on my cell phone (at espn.com) pretty handy when you are travling :-)

How much is the DirecTV MLB Extra Innings package, if you don't mind me asking?

Iwritecode
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM

Dave

I think it would've been better if you said:

"Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a White Sox fan"

The rest of the group in unison: "Hi Dave!"

This board is pretty much a support group for long-suffering Sox fans anyways...

kingpin_rcs
07-21-2003, 02:49 PM
The MLB Extra Innings package costs $139 but that i sspread out over 4 monthly bills.

Also, I think that is the renewal price. I thinks it costs more for first time subscribers.

You may be able to get it at a discount this year (since the season is half over)

Check out this link

http://www.directvsports.com/Subscriptions/MLBExtraInnings/

chuckn98229
07-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Our ComCast cable does not carry WGN, so I have subscribed to MLB Extra Innings since moving up here (NW Washington State). I write 'Please offer WGN' on every single invoice - but it hasn't worked yet! If you order right when the season begins, it is $139.00. I get about 4-5 White Sox games every week. I miss having them on the radio, but I can listen to the Mariners' games when driving. (Would you believe the Seattle TV stations only give the score to the Mariners' games!!) btw, the Mariners' have now become my third favorite team - behind the White Sox and whoever is playing the flubs. I also use Gameday on MLB.COM, and check the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times websites every morning for scores and to keep up on the local dis-job these media outlets continue to do on the Sox.

adsit
07-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Arigato for all the hints and tips. Tho't I'd follow up and tell you I decided to give the MLB Sox "total ticket" webcast sub a try. I've already looked at the 'condensed game' from Sunday and will try out the live broadcast tonight. So far, so good.

The only reason I decided not to get "In Demand" this year is that I'm not at home frequently enough to make it worthwhile. My VCR is junk and I'm saving my money for a TiVo setup. By next spring I should be "geared up" and ready for a big-screen Sox experience. RealPlayer will do for now.

Thanks again,

Dave

MarqSox
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I'll endorse the MLB.TV thing. The streaming Web video isn't great quality, but most of the time it's good enough. At $20 a month, if you use it even two or three times a week, it's definitely worth it.

kbriley
07-23-2003, 09:05 AM
I have subscribed to MLB gameday audio for three years now and it is pretty good. You can subscribe to all MLB games for 20$ or just the SOX for 10$. If you have dial up modem it sometimes can stop playing and you have to reset it. If you have cable or broadband it is great. I just got it this year and it works really well.

adsit
07-23-2003, 09:55 AM
After I bought MLB "total ticket," I discovered, buried somewhere in the fine print, it doesn't entitle me to the live streaming telecasts. For those, I have to buy the "MLB Broadband" package.

I do get everything else, though. I like the condensed games but can't see them until well after the game is over. And the Gameday Java display is the most informative of all of them.

This all reminds me of the days I'd try to unscramble ch.60 while listening to WMAQ, with the same motivation. If I could sit through watching Tony Bernazard whiffing with the bases loaded across two halves of a wavy split screen, I really have nothing to complain about now.

But, I'll complain anyway! :D:

Dave

kempsted
07-23-2003, 10:30 AM
After I bought MLB "total ticket," I discovered, buried somewhere in the fine print, it doesn't entitle me to the live streaming telecasts. For those, I have to buy the "MLB Broadband" package.

Just to clarify - it is only the live video that you don't get with total ticket. You do get the live radio.

Actually I was a total ticket subscriber last year as well and at the time it was their top package. When they launched the MLB.TV this year they wanted to charge for it and were not sure how to integrate it with total ticket without raising the price of total ticket too much. I think they did a nice job. I got offered it at my last year price of 9.95 a month and you get the same access to the MLB.TV archives as the Broadband subscriber. Since they black out the Sox and the Cubs live here anyway that is no great loss. Condensed games are worth the 9.95 all bythemselves IMHO. Especially if you combine condensed games with Baseball's best

Oh since the oh they are money grubbers came up - When I first signed up last year they lowered the price to 4.95 since they didn't have everything up yet. This was cool because the two things I wanted were up. Also this winter they lowered the cost and kept the whole season archives up as well as other special features. Quality stuff for the most part.