PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cowley This AM on the Score...

chisoxt
07-18-2003, 10:55 PM
.....discussed the White Sox Manager situation, and was very passionate about how much Jerry Manuel deserves to mansge the team through the season and stated emphatically that many of the players would 'quit' if Wally Backman were brought in to manage the team.

He also has had some unflattering words for Bartolo Colon, whom he implied is mailing it in.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Crowley may be right about Bartolo Colon, but he's dead wrong if he thinks the players would quit on Wally Backman. There's no way Backman could be any worse than Manuel. He doesn't sleep in the dugout. He doesn't tinker with the lineup. From what I've heard about him, it seems like many of the players would welcome the change.

jeremyb1
07-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
There's no way Backman could be any worse than Manuel. He doesn't sleep in the dugout. He doesn't tinker with the lineup. From what I've heard about him, it seems like many of the players would welcome the change.

i'm not a fan of some of manuel's decision and wouldn't complain about a change by any means but i completely object to 1) making assumptions about manuel's desire and demeanor with the players 2) assuming you somehow have a better feel for the players' relationship with manuel than a beat reporter for the team who talks with numerous sox players each day during the season.

Mammoo
07-19-2003, 03:44 AM
It's always somebody with Cowley. :whiner:

Last year it was Royce Clayton's fault, this year it's Bartolo Colon's. He's blind to Manuel's snooze and lose style of managing.

Chisoxfn
07-19-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm not a Manuel supporter, but if anyone thinks the players have given up on Manuel then I think they are wrong.

The game against Detroit showed that they care. They were down huge the whole game, but they kept fighting and end up making it really close and in all honesty they could of pulled the game out.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I'm not a Manuel supporter, but if anyone thinks the players have given up on Manuel then I think they are wrong.

The game against Detroit showed that they care. They were down huge the whole game, but they kept fighting and end up making it really close and in all honesty they could of pulled the game out.

Actually, I think the vast majority of the ballplayers truly *like* Manuel. I've never seen a team rally around a manager like the '01 team did in May/June of that year. Manuel lost control of his team in 2002, but I haven't detected any lingering clubhouse issues from that mess. Manuel deserves the credit.

IMO, the problem the ballplayers have with Manuel is not ever knowing what their role will be from one game to the next. I would be shocked to know any of them feel comfortable with what Jerry has them doing. His moves are so transparently random, there is no way any of them could possibly know what to expect when they show up at the ballpark.

If the ballplayers are underperforming, it's because they aren't capable of giving Manuel the full measure of what they're capable of producing. That's Manuel's fault, and definitely deserving of his ouster.

soxtalker
07-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
.....discussed the White Sox Manager situation, and was very passionate about how much Jerry Manuel deserves to mansge the team through the season and stated emphatically that many of the players would 'quit' if Wally Backman were brought in to manage the team.

He also has had some unflattering words for Bartolo Colon, whom he implied is mailing it in.

If KW also perceives that Colon is mailing it in, maybe a "big move" that he might make is to trade Colon before the deadline. There are a lot of teams that want this fellow.

gosox41
07-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt

It looks to me like the players already quit. Did Cowley say anything about how the constnant tinkering and lack of defined roles effect the players approach to the game and what they think of Manuel? I can't imagine they're to happy about it all.

Bob

gosox41
07-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
If KW also perceives that Colon is mailing it in, maybe a "big move" that he might make is to trade Colon before the deadline. There are a lot of teams that want this fellow.

One would think Colon would not want to mail it in. It is his free agent year and there is big money on the line. I doubt he's mailing it in. I think he just had a louysy start Thursday night. Even Manuel pointed out how he doesn't do well after long rain delays. Maybe it disrupts his routine or maybe he warmed up to much. Colon hasn't been as good as I thought, but he is far from a disappointment.

Bob