PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Friday, 7-18 Vs. Tigers

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments. All others will be deleted. The chat room is open.

Go Sox! Beat those Tigers... please beat the Tigers... pretty please?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 06:26 PM
2B- Alomar
LF- Lee
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
CF- Everett
1B- Konerko
SS- Valentin
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Frank is the DH again. When is Manuel going to learn? Lee is hitting in the number two spot even though he has struggled there. Where is the logic behind this move?

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
2B- Alomar
LF- Lee
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
CF- Everett
1B- Konerko
SS- Valentin
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Frank is the DH again. When is Manuel going to learn? Lee is hitting in the number two spot even though he has struggled there. Where is the logic behind this move?

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

:sahaf
"That's a lie. There is no tinkering in this lineup. That is the exact same lineup and players as last night playing the exact same positions. 9 runs was more than enough last night, but you just wait until you see what this glorious beast of God produces..."

JJAustin69
07-18-2003, 06:58 PM
El Caballo does not belong in the two spot. He is more suited to 5 or 6. He does not have the bat control to be there. (See related article on homepage.)

Bisco Stu
07-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Konerko AGAIN?

This lineup has me missing Terry Bevington...

CHISOXFAN13
07-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Listened to the pregame, and Manuel said he likes to break Alomar and Valentin up so an opposing manager can't have an advantage by turning them around late.

Screw that. Just use Graffanino as a pinch hitter late.

JJAustin69
07-18-2003, 07:15 PM
No doubt. Besides, having switch hitters at the top of the line-up is supposed to be an advantage.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
...having switch hitters at the top of the line-up is supposed to be an advantage.

You would think so. However, in the silly world Jerry Manuel inhabits, having two switch hitters at the top of the line up is a weakness, not a strength. It will be August before Manuel puts Alomar and Valentin together at the top of the order two consecutive games.

frickin' idiot ---------->:jerry

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 07:27 PM
And, as they have many times this season, the Sox threaten, but do not score in the first inning.

MetalliSox
07-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Konerko AGAIN?

This lineup has me missing Terry Bevington...

"What do you know? Paulie has..um..has been batting .333 since the All Star Break. He's hot!

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Coming into tonight's game, Joe Crede is batting .201 at home. Good grief!

SluggersAway
07-18-2003, 07:39 PM
"I love grounding into double plays, yea yea yea"

Crede Chorus

hempsox
07-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Was that a run that was *gasp* manufactured???

Fisk72
07-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
Was that a run that was *gasp* manufactured???

Check that, have we been manufacturing multiple runs?!?!?

Bisco Stu
07-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Alright I was wrong about Konerko, I just prefer Frank at 1B.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Alright I was wrong about Konerko, I just prefer Frank at 1B.

You'll get no argument from me. As long as Konerko is hitting, he should be in the lineup, but Frank needs to play first base. Unfortunately, everybody on the planet can see this except for Jerry Manuel.

****ing idiot -------------------------------------> :jerry

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 09:34 PM
:winner

jeremyb1
07-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You would think so. However, in the silly world Jerry Manuel inhabits, having two switch hitters at the top of the line up is a weakness, not a strength. It will be August before Manuel puts Alomar and Valentin together at the top of the order two consecutive games.

i already did a similar exercise in another thread but here it goes again:

alomar vs. lefties - .472 ops
valentin vs. lefties - .378 ops

this means that if these two players hit back to back and lefty is brought in late in a close game manuel is forced to either conceed virtually any chance of scoring this inning or use two pinch hitters. not a good situation.

i agree that carlos isn't a particularly good choice at the top of the order since he has a less than stellar .318 obp but he did have two hits tonight. since we have very few hitters on our club that work the count and draw walks, i don't know who is capable of batting second. frank and maggs are pretty well entrenched in the three and four spot, everett is a power hitter making his presence desirable lower in the order and he also struggles against lefties, crede and olivo have not demonstrated good on base skills, paully has struggled until recently, and alomar has a low obp and doesn't play regularly. very few hitters on our team are hitting well or working the count well so we don't have options at the second spot, carlos is about as good as it gets unfortunately.

flo-B-flo
07-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
No doubt. Besides, having switch hitters at the top of the line-up is supposed to be an advantage. it is an advantage............if they HIT