PDA

View Full Version : Manuel isn't going anywhere


Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Guys, let us remember a few things. KW said at the beginning of the season that JM would be the manager for the entire season. He virtually guaranteed it. Now the tune changes, and even the mighty Reinsdorf has commented on the issue. What I can't get over is the multitude of times that HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED already. The Sox were almost swept by the Tigers like 2 months ago (Crede walk off bomb in the 12th won it). The SF game was the most unforgivable loss I have EVER SEEN. If those games didn't get him fired, I don't think we'll ever see him gone. I think he's in for the long haul, to cause that much more pain and suffering to Sox fans.

Why now when they've had so much opportunity to have him gone already? The other thing is, I'm going to puke if I hear, "It's the not the manager's fault if the team is hitting .245. It's not the manager's fault that the relievers don't get it done. If this guy kept a consistent lineup, sure! If he doesn't rest his best hitters in big games, SURE. If he brings in Marte before another reliever blows the game, SURE. What exactly CAN you blame the manager for, if you can't blame him for a) losing or b) players with talent who aren't producing?????

Gumshoe

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 10:13 AM
because I posted this, I hope it means they fire him before the game tonight. Oh wait, they won't do that, bud selig and jerry need new yamulkes ... and from what I hear those are really expensive these days

Gumshoe

dickallen15
07-18-2003, 10:14 AM
The bottom line is if he hasn't been fired for his total incompetence yet, he will never walk the plank. His managerial skills are sickening. There is something every game that he misses, something a little league manager would see, that costs the Sox. He's a nice guy but my neighbor's a nice guy, and I wouldn't want him managing the White Sox.

Jerko
07-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Guys, let us remember a few things. KW said at the beginning of the season that JM would be the manager for the entire season. He virtually guaranteed it. Now the tune changes, and even the mighty Reinsdorf has commented on the issue. What I can't get over is the multitude of times that HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED already. The Sox were almost swept by the Tigers like 2 months ago (Crede walk off bomb in the 12th won it). The SF game was the most unforgivable loss I have EVER SEEN. If those games didn't get him fired, I don't think we'll ever see him gone. I think he's in for the long haul, to cause that much more pain and suffering to Sox fans.

Why now when they've had so much opportunity to have him gone already? The other thing is, I'm going to puke if I hear, "It's the not the manager's fault if the team is hitting .245. It's not the manager's fault that the relievers don't get it done. If this guy kept a consistent lineup, sure! If he doesn't rest his best hitters in big games, SURE. If he brings in Marte before another reliever blows the game, SURE. What exactly CAN you blame the manager for, if you can't blame him for a) losing or b) players with talent who aren't producing?????

Gumshoe


Gumshoe, you're right. Even Konerko is spewing this garbage. Well, Jerry doesn't hit for us, Jerry doesn't pitch for us, blah blah blah! That is DRIVEL! Until people quit using, or worse, believing this argument, Manuel will never leave and the team will never improve.

chosk8
07-18-2003, 11:49 AM
A loss tonight and I'm framing my ticket with 'Jerry Manuel's last game as White Sox manager' inscribed underneath it.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Manager Gandhi isn't going anywhere because the owner is not going to be made to look bad because he gave final approval on his hiring six years ago.

Besides the owner just gave comments recently that the players will be sent packing first.

Lip

FoulTerritory
07-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The bottom line is if he hasn't been fired for his total incompetence yet, he will never walk the plank. His managerial skills are sickening. There is something every game that he misses, something a little league manager would see, that costs the Sox. He's a nice guy but my neighbor's a nice guy, and I wouldn't want him managing the White Sox.

Right now, your neighbor is looking like a pretty tempting managerial candidate. I'm so desperate for tinker exodus . . .

Medford Bobby
07-18-2003, 12:10 PM
That's what I have been believing all year myself. KW and Sunshine Jerry will not ax him til after the season. Then they will say the team is going to a "new direction" :D: They will either add someone in a trade by the 31st, or if we are totally 10 plus games out, then we will see some Red Sox farmhands in a trade for Colon....BUT :?: you will not see Manuel get fired. :whiner: ....for now.

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
how undeniable is it that Jerry himself has lost games? Do we need to point out San Fran again?

I'm crying my eyes out because it's so painful to see this team, with so much talent, just waste away because the owner is too stubborn to do anything about it.

Fitting that they make trades and then not fix the one thing that needs fixing, thereby making the situation worse.

Will he sell? He's gonna be humiliated after this episode, utterly .

Gumshoe

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
Right now, your neighbor is looking like a pretty tempting managerial candidate. I'm so desperate for tinker exodus . . .

We should take up a petition to find out who among us has the best neighbor for managing the Sox. I guarantee we can find at least one neighbor who could manage the team better than Manuel.

The guy who lives behind me fixes cars and plays ball with his kids in the backyard. I nominate him.

:)

FoulTerritory
07-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
We should take up a petition to find out who among us has the best neighbor for managing the Sox. I guarantee we can find at least one neighbor who could manage the team better than Manuel.

The guy who lives behind me fixes cars and plays ball with his kids in the backyard. I nominate him.

:)

Hmmm

Does this neighbor FIX cars . . . . or just tinker with them?

A crucial distinction if you ask me.

Brad

pl8ump1012
07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
because I posted this, I hope it means they fire him before the game tonight. Oh wait, they won't do that, bud selig and jerry need new yamulkes ... and from what I hear those are really expensive these days

Gumshoe

Gumshoe, I am just as frustrated as you are about this situation, but please avoid using anti-Semitic comments.

joecrede
07-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Manager Gandhi isn't going anywhere because the owner is not going to be made to look bad because he gave final approval on his hiring six years ago

I agree with this as it regards Williams, but I honestly believe Manuel will be gone sooner rather than later.

I also think contrary to popular belief that Manuel's fate rests mostly with Williams and not Reinsdorf.

maurice
07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by pl8ump1012
Gumshoe, I am just as frustrated as you are about this situation, but please avoid using anti-Semitic comments.

Or at least spell "yarmulke" correctly, since we all know that you're not prejudiced or anything.

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 02:22 PM
That was just a stab, obviously in poor taste. I had to do it.

But tell me one thing. Is it true?

That's what I thought

Gumshoe

pl8ump1012
07-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
That was just a stab, obviously in poor taste. I had to do it.

But tell me one thing. Is it true?

That's what I thought

Gumshoe

Absolutely not! That's about as bad as Dusty Baker saying what he said about day games. The reason Manuel is still the manager has nothing to do with the fact that JR and Bud Selig are Jews. Thats an entirely ignorant and offensive statement.

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
That was just a stab, obviously in poor taste. I had to do it.

But tell me one thing. Is it true?

That's what I thought

Gumshoe

Is what true? That Jewish people buy Yarmulkes? Sure. And Christians buy crosses and Muslims by Korans and prayer runs and Hindus buy Shiva statues, etc. etc. What is the point of singling out one group of people for their particular religious purchases?

You are correct, it was in poor taste...

maurice
07-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Is it true?

No, I don't believe that yarmulkes are "really expensive these days." I mean, they have those really fancy ones that might set you back a few, but many synagogues will let you borrow one for free.

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 04:31 PM
This is funny. I once saw a Nike yarmulke.

As for the other posts, if Jerry Reinsdorf isn't as cheap as the stereotype is of him, then I'll quit being a Sox fan.

Gumshoe

pl8ump1012
07-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
This is funny. I once saw a Nike yarmulke.

As for the other posts, if Jerry Reinsdorf isn't as cheap as the stereotype is of him, then I'll quit being a Sox fan.

Gumshoe

He might be cheap, but its not because he's a Jew. I've met plenty of cheap non-jews.

With recent events, Sox fans have a "stereotype" of being violent. As a Sox fan, you must be a violent person, right Gumshoe?

Sure, we know that Dybas was a self proclaimed cubs fan. But because he did what he did at the white sox home stadium, most "ignorant" fans will simply assume that he is a Sox fan, and so all Sox fans must be the same way. That's part of what makes the "stereotype" so "ignorant."

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Mr. Hoffman, you are right on the stereotype sensitivity, but only to a certain point. I NEVER even hinted that I might be a violent person. That's what makes the comparison different. JR has demonstrated MANY times that he is a cheap bastard. You dispute that? You are going against the whole WSI community on that one, then, my friend.

You say that correllation and assumption is false. I'm saying that Reinsdorf HIMSELF, proves that he is PART of the stereotype.

And with that reasoning, my friend, you just lost your whole argument.

BTW, I agree, FIRE Manuel, but Reinsdorf must sell before we really win anything meaningful.

Gumshoe

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Mr. Hoffman, you are right on the stereotype sensitivity, but only to a certain point. I NEVER even hinted that I might be a violent person. That's what makes the comparison different. JR has demonstrated MANY times that he is a cheap bastard. You dispute that? You are going against the whole WSI community on that one, then, my friend.

You say that correllation and assumption is false. I'm saying that Reinsdorf HIMSELF, proves that he is PART of the stereotype.

And with that reasoning, my friend, you just lost your whole argument.

BTW, I agree, FIRE Manuel, but Reinsdorf must sell before we really win anything meaningful.

Gumshoe

If you think Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap, state so. Very few of us would challenge the assertion.

Instead you are inserting ethnic stereotypes into your comments, foolishly thinking they strengthen your assertion. For most of us, the exact opposite is true. Furthermore it is offensive.

Keep doing it, and you're out of here.