PDA

View Full Version : Last night's game should have been called

Viva Magglio
07-18-2003, 09:36 AM
I said it then, and I'm sticking to my guns. The White Sox should not have played the game last night. It should have been called at 9:00 or so. I am not necessarily saying the 10:11 start is the sole reason why we lost, but I think it was a contributing factor. The Tigers were probably angry that they had to play at 10:11 and came out swinging. The Sox were probably angry too and just went through the motions early on in the game, making this 40-plus-games-under-.500 Tiger team look like the Yankees, prior to the comeback that fell short.

I would have settled for a doubleheader either today or Saturday. Some have said a doubleheader would result in Jerry Manuel having a tinkerfest, but JM would have a tinkerfest anyway doubleheader or not. Others have suggested that we had to play because Kansas City and Minnesota were already on the way to victory. Well, that idea worked real well, didn't it?

Even though tonight's game is scheduled for 7:05, you can bet that the players will be plenty tired and maybe not ready for tonight. Obviously, this will affect both teams and not just ours. However, the way things have gone for us this season, chances are that we'll be the deader team than Detroit.

I want to know which individual is responsible for not calling the game last night. Was it Jerry Reinsdorf? Or Kenny Williams? Or someone else? The decision to play at 10:11 last night was perhaps the organization's biggest blunder of the season. Already mired in a downward spiral of bad baseball the Sox are, the ramifications of this decision only worsen things. If KW made this decision, there are some owners in MLB who would have fired him for this.

As for the comeback that fell short, do you think it spared Jerry Manuel from getting fired today? Had the gone on to lose the game 9-1 or whatever, the ice under JM's feet would have been much thinner than it is this morning. Of course, I think Manuel should have fallen through the ice a long time ago.

soxrme
07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
I agree, I went to sleep about 10:00 and did not even think that they would have played. We continue to amaze me.

Thunderstruck30
07-19-2003, 01:02 AM
I had tickets for that game and I went there and left around 8:30. I figured they wouldnt play. But then I saw that they were on TV and I thought that was one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen. I was mad because I gave Reinsdorf money and got nothing back in return.

Scotty347
07-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I had tickets for that game and I went there and left around 8:30. I figured they wouldnt play. But then I saw that they were on TV and I thought that was one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen. I was mad because I gave Reinsdorf money and got nothing back in return.

It should be some consolation that I read in the paper today that ticket stubs for the game (even though it was played) can be exchanged for another game. So even though it maybe shouldn't have been played, the Sox did recognize that most fans left and they will be reimbursed.