PDA

View Full Version : Random Musings

balboner
07-18-2003, 01:43 AM
- For my money, Bartolo Colon has been more disappointing than David Wells so far. Colon has been hit very hard by some poor teams, and his attitude seems to be quite poor on the mound now.
- Manuel really needs to start pinch hitting for Olivo vs righties whenver he can. He had a good chance to use Daubach in the 8th, but let the struggling Olivo ground out.
- Has anyone on the team had less of an impact than David Sanders? Why is he on the roster, he's awful.
- The Sox have to lead the league in warning track power. It's quite sad how almost every swing is for the fences.

gosox41
07-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by balboner

- The Sox have to lead the league in warning track power. It's quite sad how almost every swing is for the fences.

But it was the humidity's fault, at least that was the excuse Farmer used last night on the radio.

Bob

hold2dibber
07-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by balboner
- For my money, Bartolo Colon has been more disappointing than David Wells so far. Colon has been hit very hard by some poor teams, and his attitude seems to be quite poor on the mound now.
- Manuel really needs to start pinch hitting for Olivo vs righties whenver he can. He had a good chance to use Daubach in the 8th, but let the struggling Olivo ground out.
- Has anyone on the team had less of an impact than David Sanders? Why is he on the roster, he's awful.

I don't know what you mean when you say his attitude is poor on the mound. I think JM, as is consistent throughout his tenure, has mismanaged Colon. He worked him too hard early, and he's tired out there. I also think you have to take into account the fact that there was a 3 hour rain delay before the start of the game. Why the hell not just play a double header the next day - that delay was ridiculous. But your point is still well taken. Colon has been a disappointment, to some extent. I didn't expect him to do as well as he did last year, but I certainly expected a sub 4.00 ERA. I still think he'll probably get there by the end of the year.

As to Sanders, he is on the roster because Wunsch is hurt. Who would you have replace him.

And good God was I pissed watching that game and seeing flyout after flyout. For all their talk, this team still swings for the fences, just about every time. At this point, I no longer blame the coaches. I know they're telling these guys not to try to go yard every time. I think this team is populated by rock heads.

MisterB
07-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
"Well there you go, Joe Crede - if he gets that stroke back to where we all think it can be - has filled in another big piece of the puzzle which will allow this team to catch Kansas City in this division."

What the hell is he talking about?

A loose translation from Jacksonese:

:DJ
"Crede's offense has been horrible. If he gets his swing back, that will be one less automatic out in the lineup."

:walnuts :olivo
"Are you insinuating something?"

MHOUSE
07-18-2003, 10:50 AM
What was this thread about? OH yeah random musings....hmmm....

Well I agree that Colon has been a disappointment, but anything is a let down after a 20 win season. I think most of it is Manuel mismanaging and letting him pitch those 5 complete games early on in the season. The walks and long balls have KILLED Bartolo and a pitcher of his caliber should straighten them out.

Manuel is a great guy, but he is a terrible baseball manager. He doesn't know when to pinch hit, can't manage his starting pitchers, is clueless as to how his bullpen should be used, and he tinkers like there's no torrow. ARGH!

Sanders was called up way before Wunsch went on the DL. He's been up since April. I don't know why he's wasting his time up here when he doesn't get in much and isn't very good when he does. He should be getting his reps in the minors.

I am sick of the long flyouts too. What happened to "the little things"? This team can't bunt or do anything to move runners. No speed makes them go station-to-station and they can't even run the bases. It's terrible to watch. A team of mediocre 1B/COF/DH types can't win championships.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 12:03 PM
What were we talking about yet AGAIN...oh yes random Sox musings...

The Tigers now hold a 7-6 season edge on the Sox. The Sox are the only team in baseball the Tigers can make this claim against.

The Tigers have won a total of 26 games. Seven of them (almost 30%) have come against the Sox (talk about embarassing!)

The Sox are now 12-19 for the season in one run games. They have lost their last five one run games. (The team has called it quits...)

As I suggested in a column. Sox acquisitions generally do poorly because THEY DON'T WANT TO BE HERE in this baseball wasteland.

It is stunning how every single major acquisition by Ken Williams has blown up in his face. Wells, Ritchie, Koch now Colon. That's more then bad luck folks....that's an attitude problem. (See my comment above...)

and I DIDN'T KNOW the Sox at one time had Brendon Donnelly! (He of the 0.75 ERA) Another great move by "Jumbotron" Ron Schueler eh? (Sox cut him in 1992)

Final thought, could last night POSSIBLY be rock bottom? Or will it get even uglier?

Lip

SoxOnTop
07-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Was anyone else going nuts when they heard JM's plans during ST to start Colon and Buehrle as many times as humanly possible before the All-Star Break. I believe the figure was 25 of the first 55 starts. When Colon has been known to wear down as the season goes along, why would you try even harder to tire him out????

Mismanaged from day one....

hold2dibber
07-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Final thought, could last night POSSIBLY be rock bottom? Or will it get even uglier?

I'm guessing uglier.

hold2dibber
07-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Sanders was called up way before Wunsch went on the DL. He's been up since April. I don't know why he's wasting his time up here when he doesn't get in much and isn't very good when he does. He should be getting his reps in the minors.

Yeah, but Wunsch is on the DL now, so who would you have take Sanders place?

gosox3072
07-18-2003, 11:20 PM
How about josh stewert???

BTW Saunders has had a few real good outings--i.e. vs i believe the Devil Rays when he came in down by 1 with bases loded and no out and he ended the inning with no runs scoring keeping us in the game. That was the game we got screwed on 2 check swings.

Thunderstruck30
07-18-2003, 11:38 PM
I think Colon has been disappointing, but theres no way he is more disappointing than Wells. True Colon hasnt had many good outings lately, but earlier in the season he had some great starts. He went almost the whole game, if not the whole game. Dont you remember the game vs the Cubs when Wells couldnt even get out of the first? Also, wasnt Wells on the DL at this time of the season two years ago?