PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with us fans?

kittle42
07-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Why do we keep up this misguided hope that Jerry Manuel will be fired anytime soon? It is completely obvious it will not happen - just as obvious as it is to everyone who watches baseball but JR and KW that it should happen.

We are fools.

MHOUSE
07-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Why do any of us keep misguided hope that anything will go right for this team or that anything we want to happen will? When you think about it and the long-time troubles of this organization, why is anyone still a fan?

Gumshoe
07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I was just reading "On Love" by Jose Ortega y Gasset, a spanish philosopher. Highly recommended. In that, he distinguishes between "desire" and "love." Desire is the want for things to come to you, for things to satisfy you. But once they are obtained, they more or less lose the attractive quality. Love on the other hand, is that which makes you take action to seek out your mode of being. And it doesn't necessarily give you happiness, either! No, happiness has nothing to do with love.

As a crude summary, that's it. As corrollary to the Sox, we love them. We keep going after them, longing for their good results. Just because they don't do it doesn't mean we do things in vain.

The Yanks, what does another Series mean for them? They have grown accustomed to it. A title for them is not as special as it would be for us. Enough of my philosophy.

The worst is when a guy like Fisk takes a jab at the organization and goes into the Hall with a Red Sox hat. He was a Hall of Famer with the White Sox. He was good with the Red Sox, and had ONE huge homer with them (which didn't even win the Series), and he goes in I think just to spite Reinsdorf. Well, Reinsdorf will be dead one year and White Sox fans will exist. He should have done it for the fans. That was a selfish move on his part. And if the Hall recommended he go in with a Red Sox hat, well, he should have turned that down and gone in with the White Sox hat, on principle and against that stupid EAST coast bias crap.

Gumshoe

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Fisk at the time thanked White Sox fans and made sure it was printed that his decision in no way was a reflection upon them.

We know EXACTLY who it was directed to (and with good reason...)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Fisk at the time thanked White Sox fans and made sure it was printed that his decision in no way was a reflection upon them.

We know EXACTLY who it was directed to (and with good reason...)

Lip

I followed that story pretty closely when it happened back in '00. However I don't recall Fisk making any such claim. In fact what I remember is Fisk showing up at the Urinal to sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and taking a triumphal tour through New England long before getting around to making his first appearance of the entire season at Comiskey. It's a longer drive from Lockport than any of us realize, I guess.

If he didn't mean to diss Sox Fans, he sure could have done a better job of it.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If he didn't mean to diss Sox Fans, he sure could have done a better job of it.

Why would Fisk want to get back at Sox fans? He knows we hate Reinsdorf. He hates Reinsdorf. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, or so I thought. Fisk deserved to be treated much better than he was ten years ago, but that's not an excuse for trying to make Sox fans look bad. We weren't the ones who released him during a roadtrip.