PDA

View Full Version : ***OFFICIAL*** July 17th, vs. Detroit Tigers Game Thread

doublem23
07-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Uh, I guess we don't have another one... <insert legal mumbo jumbo that I forget and won't dare try and wing>

Looks like we're ready for baseball... Go Sox! Stop losing to Detroit, dammit.

MarqSox
07-17-2003, 10:11 PM
They're gonna play? When?

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Colon needs to get things off to a positive start on the pitching side of things.

doublem23
07-17-2003, 10:13 PM
ESPN-1000 is saying they are getting rarin' to roll, but Farm-io just said it looks like the rain is on its way back.

God damn god and his kookiness. :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 10:17 PM
They better get this game in. If they have to play a double-header, Manuel will just continue to tinker with the lineup.

doublem23
07-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Yarrrr... This front has been stalled over the city for a good 4 hours or so... Baseball tonight? Don't know how much... :?:

Bandwidth Saving Link (http://weather.chicagotribune.com/radar/station.asp?ID=LOT19&type=loop)

FJA
07-17-2003, 10:22 PM
The thought of losing ground (assuming KC and Minn finish out their wins) AND having to play a DH with the Tinkerer at the helm is just awful.

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 10:22 PM
This is silly. They should call the game. Why they hell are they trying to get it in tonight? So they can sell more beer at the ballpark tonight? I realize we will probalby lose a ˝ game to Kansas City and Minnesota, but the game tonight will still be played. So what if it's a doubleheader. This is Detroit. If we are the team that many of us believe will win the AL Central, we should beat this team at least three of four this weekend.

FJA
07-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is silly. They should call the game. Why they hell are they trying to get it in tonight? So they can sell more beer at the ballpark tonight?

Sadly, this probably has A LOT to do with it.

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Sadly, this probably has A LOT to do with it.

:reinsy

"The goal in any business is to make money, and lots of it. Baseball is a business, so I'd better get my money."

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
For those of you who may not be aware, the fate of the game is currently in the White Sox' hands. Once the lineup cards are exchanged, the umpires assume control over the game's fate. I think that if the rain stops (probably temporarily) and they get as far as the lineup card exchanges, the umps ought to call the game right then and there.

doublem23
07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
According to Rick DiMaio on Fox News Chicago, the rain should be gone... Not sure as to whether or not this game is going to get in, but who knows?

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Manuel will probably use this as an excuse for more tinkering.

:jerry

"The game didn't end until late last night. The boys didn't get to bed until three in the morning. That's too late for them."

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
According to Rick DiMaio on Fox News Chicago, the rain should be gone... Not sure as to whether or not this game is going to get in, but who knows?

Daver just sent me an e-mail from Joliet where it is pouring rain. They are 20 miles west of Comiskey and a little south. Should have been called a long time ago. Jerry, you cheap bastard. Let the fans go home...

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 10:41 PM
For those of you who may not be aware, the fate of the game is currently in the White Sox' hands. Once the lineup cards are exchanged, the umpires assume control over the game's fate. I think that if the rain stops (probably temporarily) and they get as far as the lineup card exchanges, the umps ought to call the game right then and there.

Umps cannot call a game until the first rain delay is at least an hour long. MLB rules...

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Wills just said first pitch is scheduled for 10:15 p.m. That is one hour LATER than when West Coast games start. This is completely insane! If it's a normal game, it will not end until 1:15 a.m. Of course, could play be suspended if they don't reach the 9th inning by 1:00 a.m. (AL curfew)?

The game should have been called.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Wills just said first pitch is scheduled for 10:15 p.m. That is one hour LATER than when West Coast games start. This is completely insane! If it's a normal game, it will not end until 1:15 a.m. Of course, could play be suspended if they don't reach the 9th inning by 1:00 a.m. (AL curfew)?

The game should have been called.

Think the Tigers are going to be just a LITTLE pissed off?

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Think the Tigers are going to be just a LITTLE pissed off?

Probably, and I can see them using this to put a 10-spot on the board in the 1st inning.

Just when we got great PR, for the most part, with the ASG we do something moronic like this.

Dadawg_77
07-17-2003, 11:00 PM
for some reason this is the last time the tiger are in Chicago. Thus they want to get the game in.

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Glad I don't have work tomorrow. If this game is close at all, it'll be on past 2am over here...

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
for some reason this is the last time the tiger are in Chicago. Thus they want to get the game in.

The could easily schedule a doubleheader Friday or Saturday.

Also, it is reported that anyone who has a ticket stub for tonight's game can exchange it for a future regular season game regardless of whether this game is played or not.

Hangar18
07-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Im actually home, waiting for this dang game to be played.
I almost feel like driving back over there and Watching THis..!!
what do you guys think?

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
what do you guys think?

Go for it Hangar! I'll cheer you on from my couch... :D:

You will be one of the 100 people in the park if they actually do play it. Of course you won't be able to Comiskey upgrade it...

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:13 PM
what do you guys think? I'd do it in a second. One of my favorite things is when it rains at the park, everyone goes home and you get to sit behind home plate and watch the game with about 2,000 other people who decided to stick it out.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:17 PM
double homerun. 2-0 Tigers.

Anyone else want to bet on whether those same pitches are strikes for the kitties? I bet the umps are ticked off too...

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Ugh... this is quickly turning into one of those games I wished we would have called...

cheeses_h_rice
07-17-2003, 11:22 PM
And, of course, the Sox come stumbling out of the gate for the second half...christ on a cracker.

:(:

Hangar18
07-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Go for it Hangar! I'll cheer you on from my couch... :D:

You will be one of the 100 people in the park if they actually do play it. Of course you won't be able to Comiskey upgrade it...

Do you guys think they'd still sell beer til the 7th inning?
if they do, Im going over there now then....

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Do you guys think they'd still sell beer til the 7th inning?
if they do, Im going over there now then....

Yep, I would bet they will...

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Jesus, 32 pitches from Colon already. No more BP fastballs, Bart.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Jesus, 32 pitches from Colon already. No more BP fastballs, Bart.

This one looks like it could get really ugly. Look at the bright side. No matter how bad the score, they will probably have to finish it tomorrow, because at this pace, no way they finish before 1:00...

shelldweller
07-17-2003, 11:33 PM
A 43-pitch inning. Nice work, Bart.

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Finally, Colon turns it up. 43 pitches in the first. 2-0 Tigres.

Hangar18
07-17-2003, 11:37 PM
I feel in a CRAZY mood tonite. Im heading over there and see what this is like. LOOK FOR ME BEHIND THE SOX DUGOUT.
wish i had a WSI sign or something heh heh. Im gonna
watch them get their Butts kicked...thats great....

1951Campbell
07-17-2003, 11:39 PM
I give up.

Viva Magglio
07-17-2003, 11:41 PM
I think someone's head in the White Sox organization should roll over this debacle.

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:41 PM
at this pace, no way they finish before 1:00... Looks like the Sox offense will do what they can to speed this thing up as much as possible... :(:

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Carl Everett is due to have a big game today. Don't quote me on that. :D:

SluggersAway
07-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Crede's gonna have a big game.

kempsted
07-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
Crede's gonna have a big game.

I would have been real impressed if you had posted this BEFORE he hit the homerun :) It would sure be nice if he has a good second half. He seems to either hit homeruns or outs right now.

cheeses_h_rice
07-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I predict no one on the Sox will have a big game, Colon continues to pitch like garbage, Sox batters make Mike Maroth look like Pedro Martinez, and the Sox to fall back into 3rd place and continue to bury themselves in the AL Central dregs.

Unregistered
07-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Colon flat-out sucks right now. Falls behind hitters, throws wild pitches... SNAP OUT OF IT, BIGGIE.

kempsted
07-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Colon flat-out sucks right now. Falls behind hitters, throws wild pitches... SNAP OUT OF IT, BIGGIE.

Agreed. It didn't help him that he kept getting up, sitting down etc with all the rain delays. I give up I am going to bed and hope I see a great comeback tomorrow on condensed games.

voodoochile
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I predict no one on the Sox will have a big game, Colon continues to pitch like garbage, Sox batters make Mike Maroth look like Pedro Martinez, and the Sox to fall back into 3rd place and continue to bury themselves in the AL Central dregs.

Boy that was a good decision to let the team sit around for 3 hours and then go ahead and play this game. I'm just so excited, because I have to stay up to watch the whole thing because I am writing the recap...

Unregistered
5-1 Detroit. DETROIT. DETROIT.
Meanwhile, Colon threw 105 pitches in 3 2/3 innings. Bang up job, Bart. Good luck in New York next year.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Perhaps Bartolo sees the writing on the wall for these clowns and said the hell with it. Maybe he's doing all he can to get traded in the next week to ten days.

But remember Uncle Jerry WILL NOT fire Manager Gandhi

LOL

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 12:35 AM
And if the Tigers win won't they now hold an edge over the Dead Sox in the season series?

That would make the Sox the ONLY team in baseball that hasn't won more then they lost against Detroit.

They'll be EIGHT back of K.C. who shows NO signs of folding and neither does Lima (who won twenty games a few years ago...)

Lip

doublem23
07-18-2003, 12:43 AM
KC will fold... Mark it down. We just have to catch them.

A.T. Money
07-18-2003, 12:45 AM

I'm afraid not partner.....it's mid-July. If they haven't folded by now they won't later on.

It's getting late, and I can't type.

SluggersAway
07-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Fine bit of hitting from all our stars.

FJA
07-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I'm afraid not partner.....it's mid-July. If they haven't folded by down, they won't later on.

I'm not so much concerned about KC folding as I am about us winning ... fact is, as long as we continue to play like crap, it doesn't matter what KC does.

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 12:49 AM

Like it matters with this bunch of braindead players and management. This team stinks from the head down. Bad decisions, constant tinkering, constant swinging for the fences, and lack of effort.

I'm starting to agree with Lip and that isn't a POV that comes very naturally to me. Pathetic...

FJA
07-18-2003, 12:54 AM
This is disgusting ... my dog could've fetched the ball to Olivo quicker than Tony G. made that throw to home.

kittle42
07-18-2003, 12:55 AM
This game is a great microcasm of the season. Bad things all around - shouldn't be playing it, shouldn't have this lineup, shouldn't be losing. The Sox are a perfect team to play in from of 200 people - a lifeless bunch of slugs.

If you're not going to fire JM, and they're not, just dump fatass Colon and whoever else you want and stop giving us pathetic fools any reason at all to think the Sox still have a chance.

Jerko
07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Now the announcers are saying the Sox aren't used to midnight baseball, and they are losing 9-1 to a team that probably has players who have to be home by midnight in the offseason. Now it's the umpires' fault for having a big strike zone and the Tigers are mad about the delay, BS after BS excuses. I guess what time it is has a lot to do with the Hawk saying "there's a base hit. there's a base hit........100 times in the 5th inning. I hear boos! Must be time for a pitching change to further delay this game. Rick White! This game will fly by now.

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by FJA
I'm not so much concerned about KC folding as I am about us winning ... fact is, as long as we continue to play like crap, it doesn't matter what KC does.

Whoop, there it is...

This game will almost definitely have to be finished tomorrow. Almost 4 innings to go and it is almost midnight. The way the Tigers are hitting it isn't going to be pretty.

Way to go Sox management. Great decision to not call the game...

kittle42
07-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Oh wow, and I posted that last one before I even noticed it was 9-1. You know what - I am changing gears - I now root for them to fall behind even Cleveland. I would say Detroit, too, but that's kinda improbable mathematically. JM would still be employed if it did happen, however.

A.T. Money
:chunks

:gascan

corpseball

:sellreinsy

:whoflungpoo

And while we're at it.....

:fireshoop

I'm starting to think John Shoop has become the hitting coach for the Sox....

WHY CAN'T WE SCORE RUNS?????????????

voodoochile
Originally posted by FJA
This is disgusting ... my dog could've fetched the ball to Olivo quicker than Tony G. made that throw to home.

But his offense is so much better than Jose's that he has to start against lefties...

koch44
07-18-2003, 12:58 AM
:chunks

kittle42
07-18-2003, 01:02 AM
It's midnight. You would think we were losing to the Mariners or A's. Who can beat them? Oh yeah, the Royals and Twins, that's who.

kittle42
07-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Oh, and why in the hell didn't I start Maroth in my fantasy league???!!! I am going to pick up Matt Roney immediately.

JRIG
07-18-2003, 01:04 AM
For some reason I want to stay up to see how bad this gets. On a normal team, this is the kind of game that gets managers fired. But this is Jerry Manuel...

sox_fan_forever
07-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Someone needs to tell the Sox that losing to Detroit is getting old.

sox_fan_forever
07-18-2003, 01:08 AM
Another sad thing is that it's now after midnight and only in the 5th inning. I can see that I will get no sleep tonight. I will either be watching this team get creamed by the Tigers or losing sleep over the state of this team.

Jerko
07-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Look at this lineup. I know there is a lefty on the mound, but here we go with the ofer boys in the lineup. Graffanino at short. Konerko at first. Olivo catching. I saw a stat on the internet today about the averages for the players for the last 7 days or something. Guess who was last? Thomas. Funny, he doesn't play first for a while and he's got the worst average on the team the past week. Now Everett is batting lefty vs. a lefty? Is he hurt or is he just showing up JM? AND: KC beats Seattle, Minnesota beats Oakland, Sox lose to Detroit. You tell me ONE reason we think we can pass these teams. We are now a Joe Crede 12th inning homer away from being 0-7 to this, possibly the WORST team in the history of baseball. Hey, we're gettin there, we just made an out but the Tiger player had to actually move for the ball. Pitiful. Being 2 hit by Mike Maroth, all 4-13 of him.

A.T. Money
07-18-2003, 01:10 AM
After such a wonderful job at the All-Star Game, the White Sox organization should be ashamed of this product they call a "contender". This is completely unacceptable. Getting blown out by the Tigers.

This absolutely sucks.

StepsInSC
07-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Another sad thing is that it's now after midnight and only in the 5th inning. I can see that I will get no sleep tonight. I will either be watching this team get creamed by the Tigers or losing sleep over the state of this team.

haha its 2 in the afternoon here, so I get to keep up with all of the Sox loveable crappiness and not lose sleep!

Konerko just hoisted his avg up to the 200 mark! Woohoo!

FJA
07-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Did Hawk actually say "Frank has a chance to get back"?

LMAO!

Pathetic.

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever

Don't worry, they won't play much past 1:00 Then they will delay it until tomorrow, so the paying customers can walk into a stadium to see the end of this debacle...

FJA
07-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Maybe the plan from here on out is to start all of our games this late so no one has to read about them in the papers the next morning.

jeremyb1
07-18-2003, 01:37 AM
But his offense is so much better than Jose's that he has to start against lefties...

graffanino vs. lefites - .876 ops
valentin vs. lefties - .378 ops

i agree valentin's defense is better than graff's and that this game is an utter disgrace which has come close to making me physically ill but condsidering that graffinino's production against lefties is more than TWICE jose's, i think you could make an argument that manuel should be fired anytime jose starts at short instead of graff when we're facing a lefty.

kittle42
07-18-2003, 01:51 AM
And we have to keep swinging for the fences, gentemen - it's how we score 75% of our runs!

Unregistered
07-18-2003, 01:56 AM
It's so "Koch" to come in and give up a quick run...

Fridaythe13thJason
07-18-2003, 02:03 AM
Are they seriously going to finish this now? I thought there was a curfew.

SouthBendSox
07-18-2003, 02:07 AM
need to finish manuel

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Are they seriously going to finish this now? I thought there was a curfew.

I don't get it either...

Fridaythe13thJason
07-18-2003, 02:28 AM
What the hell is going on? They're totally going to lose by one now...This sucks. At least they climbed back.

Meixner007
07-18-2003, 02:29 AM
***...i turn on the tv and 2 hr's in a row, then pk takes the first pitch to left...nice patience ********

Fridaythe13thJason
07-18-2003, 02:29 AM
What the hell is going on? They're totally going to lose by one now...This sucks. At least they climbed back.

Damn, Paul had me fooled. He looked like he put more wood on that ball.

kittle42
07-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Well, typical Sox blowout/non-blowout loss. How fitting that the eventual game-winner was given up by the great Billy Koch.

Oh, and what, 8 of the 9 runs on homers? NOT good offense.

Jerko
07-18-2003, 09:37 AM

Climbing back was the worst thing that could have happened, especially if you were a moron like I was and watched the post-game show. The comeback is now our latest springboard in a line of springboards. First, the 12 inning win vs. the Tigers on Crede's homer was the springboard. Then, the first Cub series was going to be the springboard. Then the 2nd Cub series was going to be the springboard. Then the 2nd Twin series. Then the trades. Then the pre-all star game 3-7 vs Minor League teams road trip. Now the fact that the Sox came back to only lose by 1 to one of the worst teams EVER is the latest 'springboard'. Seems to be this team doesn't do too very well after springboard moments. Maybe if they would have lost 10-1 we could at least get rid of the Mummy in charge who has the entire team zombified. Forget srpingboards, let's just look at last night: Kock giving up a run YET AGAIN, the eventual game winning run mind you. Colonel Sanders brought in with an entirely rested bullpen to get hammered for about 8 hits in a row. Everett batting lefty vs. a lefty TWICE, actually getting a hit, but a guy sitting on the bench (Jose) that should do the same thing but won't and has to be benched for Graffanino, who has no business starting anywhere for a major league team. Konerko at first, AGAIN. Thomas getting doubled off by 80 feet on a fly ball. Colon sucking. I don't want to hear about any delays either, did Maroth go home for a nap until 10:15? We couldn't hit him till the 4th or 5th inning. WHY does every new player we get suck, but players that leave improve? Management maybe? I wish we would have lost 10-1. I know what you're saying about the comeback being nice, maybe if it was the first month of the season against a team that will win more than 60 games I'd feel better about it.

kempsted
07-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Oh come on it was fun. At least it was a new way to lose. I was getting tired of those 1-0 and 2-1 loses were we said - our pitching was great. Too bad about the hitting. Now we can say if only our pitching didn't suck ; )

Lip Man 1
07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Voodoo says:

I'm starting to agree with Lip and that isn't a POV that comes very naturally to me. Pathetic...

Come on Voodoo you've seen the way they have played since the White Flag Trade, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone anymore should it. In fact you should actually be expecting it.

By the way now 12-19 in one run games this season including five consecutive one run losses in the past two weeks.

That friends is the mark of a team that has subconsciously quit.

Lip

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Voodoo says:

Come on Voodoo you've seen the way they have played since the White Flag Trade, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone anymore should it. In fact you should actually be expecting it.

By the way now 12-19 in one run games this season including five consecutive one run losses in the past two weeks.

That friends is the mark of a team that has subconsciously quit.

Lip

I know, I am just an optimist by nature, so seeing things in a negative light isn't easy for me. This team has me royally pissed off.

:firejerry
:selljerry

mocca1
07-18-2003, 02:00 PM
I sure hope Konerko gets out of his slump.
We will have no problem getting back into this race.
There I feel better.

Colon and Koch should switch places.

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mocca1
I sure hope Konerko gets out of his slump.
We will have no problem getting back into this race.
There I feel better.

Colon and Koch should switch places.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Hangar18
07-18-2003, 02:38 PM
I actually went to the game last nite. Arrived in the bottom of the 2nd. Very surreal experience. You could hear the vendors talking and people yelling from the upper deck..... Weird to just walk in the park, and nobody was there. Felt like the old days.....back in the late 70's when we stunk again.....
Yeah KC is 8 Games ahead now..... Im Royally Pissed now
(no pun intended)

Hangar18
07-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Oh, also funny to see WhitesoxBill still in our seats in LF. I did manage to chat and take a Picture
with Magglios whole Family at the game.
They were wearing these Polo shirts that looked like the
Venezuelan flag....but had "30 Magglio" on the back...pretty cool.

Boozer
07-18-2003, 03:09 PM
I went to the game too last night. My buddy & I had some free Upper Deck tix & can you believe that they wouldn't let us come down, even though there were like 200 people there! We tried 2 different gates & they wouldn't let us down. So we traded tix from people leaving right in front of the ushers & they let us in. ***? I understand the UD policy but at 10:30 at night with 200 people, c'mon!!! I was pissed off big time!

Needless to say by buddy (Cubbie Fan) was ripping the place apart & I couldn't defend the Park. We ended up sitting right behind the dugout.

I saw Maggs family & it was cool they had their flag shirts & they put them on the Jumbotron, but then again, I think we were all on the Jumbo at one time.

Also, they stopped selling beer & most concession stands were closed by the time we got in during the 1st inning.

Jerko
07-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Anybody hear any reasoning why Everett batted lefty against a lefty twice? He did get one hit, and hit the ball pretty hard the other time. Is he hurt or does he just realize that he is a better hitter from the left side, and unlike Valentin, will at least try it?

voodoochile
07-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Oh, also funny to see WhitesoxBill still in our seats in LF. I did manage to chat and take a Picture
with Magglios whole Family at the game.
They were wearing these Polo shirts that looked like the
Venezuelan flag....but had "30 Magglio" on the back...pretty cool.

You know the sooner they and their new couches go home, the better. Maggs has been swinging for the fences ever since they got here...

Bisco Stu
07-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Well, typical Sox blowout/non-blowout loss. How fitting that the eventual game-winner was given up by the great Billy Koch.

Oh, and what, 8 of the 9 runs on homers? NOT good offense.

Actually, that's not what Billy Beane thinks. He says the team that outhomers the other in a game wins 70% of the time and he builds his team accordingly.

But I get your point too. You can't always rely on the HR.