PDA

View Full Version : The King Returns

KingXerxes
07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
:farmer

"Well when I guess it comes to tinkering with a line-up, you could say that Jerry Manuel is indeed quite a tinkerer, but in no way is he the all-time tinkerer of lineups. I think that award probably goes to Joe Tinker when he was the manager of the Chicago Whales of the Federal League. Yes - The Federal League. They played in what is now called Wrigley Field, but back then when it was new it was called Weegham Park, named after the owner of the Chicago Whales. Did Joe Tinker tinker with the lineup? I don't know for sure, but I do know that he was from Muscotah, Kansas - and he managed the only two guys ever to play professional baseball for three different Chicago baseball teams. That's right. Three teams. Dutch Zwilling played for these White Sox, the Whales, and the Cubs. Rollie Zeider did the same. So before you ask if Zwilling and Zeider played in Comiskey AND Weegham AND Wrigley - which as I've said are the same thing let me tell you that Zwilling was from St. Louis, Missouri and Zeider - whose nickname was "Bunions" - was from Auburn, Indiana....where they used to make Auburn Speedsters, and if I'm not mistaken - Dusenbergs. Wow that was really a "Dusy" of a story, but I'm not finished."

:rooney

"Yeah Ed...........that's one great story."

"But wait Rooney - there's more. Rollie Zeider played with Claude Hendrix who was from Olathe, Kansas. Now I'm not sure where Olathe, Kansas is, but this Hendrix spelled his name with an "X" at the end, unlike Elrod Hendricks who was from the Virgin Islands. Maybe they're just more efficient in Olathe, and prefer to use one letter - the X - instead of the more laid back yet less efficient Virgin Islands use of "CKS". Well in either case they sound as if they are plural pronunciations of the name Hendrick, which belonged to George Hendrick who was born in Los Angeles, California. George Hendrick played for a liittle while with Terry Forster - whom most long-time Sox fans remember - but may not know was from Sioux Falls, SD along with ex-White Sox pitcher Jerry Crider.....Emmet Nelson who pitched with the Reds in the mid-50's wasn't from Sioux Falls, SD - but he did die there.

"Why do you keep saying where these guys were born? Is this headed somewhere?"

"Well you see Rooney, the capitol of South Dakota is Pierre. While it looks like the French name, it's actually pronounced "PIER" like a pier you walk out on. Ex White Sox pitcher Floyd Bannister was born in Pierre, which is just down the road from Rapid City, South Dakota which gave us Mark Ellis, Bob Ingersoll, Kerry Lightenberg and Shane Loux as well as Dave Collins. Lots of baseball must be played out there in Rapid City. Is it called Rapid City because everything's faster out there? Don't know, but I do know this - Aberdeen, South Dakota - which I believe is a tiny little town - is home to John Hoffman who played for the Astros, Justin Duchscherer who was on the Rangers, Tony Faeth who played some time ago for Cleveland, and Terry Francona. I've never even heard of Aberdeen."

:hawk

"Aberdeen........Aberdeen........prettiest town I've ever seen."

"That's ABILENE Harrelson, not ABERDEEN."

"Don't know who's from Abilene, didn't get a chance to check it out in our pre-game meeting tonight before the broadcast. Give me a minute."

"Mercy...........Terry Francona.......from Abilene, South Dakota. That man was the best I've ever seen positioning himself under a fly ball out in right in order to throw in back of a runner on first.....Yessir..............Terry Francona."

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Well when I guess it comes to tinkering with a line-up, you could say that Jerry Manuel is indeed quite a tinkerer, but in no way is he the all-time tinkerer of lineups. I think that award probably goes to Joe Tinker when he was the manager of the Chicago Whales of the Federal League. Yes - The Federal League. They played in what is now called Wrigley Field, but back then when it was new it was called Weegham Park, named after the owner of the Chicago Whales. Did Joe Tinker tinker with the lineup? I don't know for sure, but I do know that he was from Muscotah, Kansas - and he managed the only two guys ever to play professional baseball for three different Chicago baseball teams. That's right. Three teams. Dutch Zwilling played for these White Sox, the Whales, and the Cubs. Rollie Zeider did the same. So before you ask if Zwilling and Zeider played in Comiskey AND Weegham AND Wrigley - which as I've said are the same thing let me tell you that Zwilling was from St. Louis, Missouri and Zeider - whose nickname was "Bunions" - was from Auburn, Indiana....where they used to make Auburn Speedsters, and if I'm not mistaken - Dusenbergs. Wow that was really a "Dusy" of a story, but I'm not finished."

"Yeah Ed...........that's one great story."

"But wait Rooney - there's more. Rollie Zeider played with Claude Hendrix who was from Olathe, Kansas. Now I'm not sure where Olathe, Kansas is, but this Hendrix spelled his name with an "X" at the end, unlike Elrod Hendricks who was from the Virgin Islands. Maybe they're just more efficient in Olathe, and prefer to use one letter - the X - instead of the more laid back yet less efficient Virgin Islands use of "CKS". Well in either case they sound as if they are plural pronunciations of the name Hendrick, which belonged to George Hendrick who was born in Los Angeles, California. George Hendrick played for a liittle while with Terry Forster - whom most long-time Sox fans remember - but may not know was from Sioux Falls, SD along with ex-White Sox pitcher Jerry Crider.....Emmet Nelson who pitched with the Reds in the mid-50's wasn't from Sioux Falls, SD - but he did die there.

"Why do you keep saying where these guys were born? Is this headed somewhere?"

"Well you see Rooney, the capitol of South Dakota is Pierre. While it looks like the French name, it's actually pronounced "PIER" like a pier you walk out on. Ex White Sox pitcher Floyd Bannister was born in Pierre, which is just down the road from Rapid City, South Dakota which gave us Mark Ellis, Bob Ingersoll, Kerry Lightenberg and Shane Loux as well as Dave Collins. Lots of baseball must be played out there in Rapid City. Is it called Rapid City because everything's faster out there? Don't know, but I do know this - Aberdeen, South Dakota - which I believe is a tiny little town - is home to John Hoffman who played for the Astros, Justin Duchscherer who was on the Rangers, Tony Faeth who played some time ago for Cleveland, and Terry Francona. I've never even heard of Aberdeen."

"Aberdeen........Aberdeen........prettiest town I've ever seen."

"That's ABILENE Harrelson, not ABERDEEN."

"Don't know who's from Abilene, didn't get a chance to check it out in our pre-game meeting tonight before the broadcast. Give me a minute."

"Mercy...........Terry Francona.......from Abilene, South Dakota. That man was the best I've ever seen positioning himself under a fly ball out in right in order to throw in back of a runner on first.....Yessir..............Terry Francona."

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. THE KING RULZZZZ!

:)

Daver
07-17-2003, 06:47 PM
That is hysterical,so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

:bandance:

KingXerxes
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Thanks.

sox_fan_forever
07-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Great job, as always! :D:

delben91
07-18-2003, 08:31 AM
The "King" indeed. Wow, I haven't laughed that long in a while...probably not since the last KingXerxes post.

Welcome back King :gulp: