PDA

View Full Version : Will They Do It?


LASOXFAN
07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Here's a portentious fact from the trib:

"Since the start of division play in 1969, only two teams that were in first place at the break by seven or more games failed to win their division, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

They were the 1978 Red Sox and the 1993 Giants."

Statistically speaking, it's hard to imagine the Royals playing BELOW .500 for the rest of the run, and I think the Twins will turn it around and start playing good ball. No one is going to limp to victory in this division, they'll have to win it. With 68 games left, the Sox will have to play at a .662 click to finish around 90 wins. That means going 45-23. That's a remarkable turnaround, if you ask me. They haven't played that good since the first half of 2000.

Anyone buying that they can get to 90 wins?

34 Inch Stick
07-17-2003, 04:58 PM
When you also consider that this is the latest the All Star game has ever been played, we have a lot of bad numbers going against us.

But then again I play War when I go to Las Vegas so tough odds don't scare me.

fledgedrallycap
07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
I think 90 wins is definitely a stretch, but you won't need it to win the Central. 80-85 will probably be enough to win it. I honestly am not affraid of the Twins and have seen enought of thier games to see that they are an average to below average team this year. That under-dog/scrappy team isn't showing up - sound familar Sox fan after 2000.....This is what matters, the beauty of the unbalanced schedule. The Sox have roughly 10 games left to play against KC, and when you are seven back, that makes it or breaks it. You HAVE to take 5 or 6.

Meixner007
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
But then again I play War when I go to Las Vegas so tough odds don't scare me.


Hahahahahhahahah...classic! :D:

maurice
07-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Statistically speaking, it's hard to imagine the Royals playing BELOW .500 for the rest of the run, and I think the Twins will turn it around and start playing good ball.

I don't have any difficulty imagining KC and the Twinks playing under .500 between now and the end of the season. Unfortunately, the Sox might continue to play under .500 also.

IMHO, the division is a tossup. KC has the advantage of a big lead and a good manager, but the Sox have superior talent. The Twinks look like they're done. We'll see.

doublem23
07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Why is it difficult imaging the Royals tanking? I can't image the opposite happening.

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Why is it difficult imaging the Royals tanking? I can't image the opposite happening.

Mike Sweeney will be out of the lineup for a while longer, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas City's offense disappear. Their pitching staff isn't that great, either. Anyone who has to rely on Jose Lima to win a division probably will be sitting at home once October rolls around.

Daver
07-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Mike Sweeney will be out of the lineup for a while longer, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas City's offense disappear. Their pitching staff isn't that great, either. Anyone who has to rely on Jose Lima to win a division probably will be sitting at home once October rolls around.

Say what you want,tell me that the Royals are using smoke and mirrors to win games,but the bottom line is they always find a way to WIN when they have to,there is no denying the fact that they have been atop the standings,for the most part, since opening day.

To write them off as a fluke would be foolish.