PDA

View Full Version : Pondering the worst case scenario...

SpringfldFan
07-17-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't want to think this way and I really shouldn't post this, but morbid curiosity is getting the better of me.

Assume the Sox' furtunes don't change in the second half. They struggle to split the first couple of series in the second half and fall to 9 games back. KW, refusing to give up, makes Fregosi manager and when the trading deadline comes he makes a move like picking up Tejada for Valentin, Rauch, and Borchard. The team continues to stumble, finishing 79-83.

In the offseason, the Sox dismantle and say goodbye to Lee, Colon, Robbie, Tejada, and Everett and are left with a weak team for 2004 and a minor league system missing Ring, Almonte, Webster, the aforementioned Borchard and Rauch, and others. At this point it is safe to assume that a World Series will have to wait at least 4 or 5 years as the team tries to rebuild again, and still with KW calling the shots. Just to make the picture complete, the Cubs start reaping the benefits of their farm system and tap the rich 2004 free agent market and are the clear favorites in the weak NL central.

At this point, what happens with the sox? JR could just ride it out and field 90 loss teams like what we had in the Nahoradny-Nordhagan-Chappas era. It is hard to believe that is possible because you would never see more than 5000 fans at the cell for the games. JR selling or moving the team is a possiblity but that seems pretty farfetched. Equally farfetched is the idea of him (even if he could afford it) to tap the market and field a team with a $100 million payroll. I can't envision contraction, either, since this is a venerable team with history in a large market.

If the worst comes to pass this year, I simply cannot imagine what will happen with the team in the near future. What do you folks think will happen?

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
I don't want to think this way and I really shouldn't post this, but morbid curiosity is getting the better of me.

Assume the Sox' fortunes don't change in the second half. They struggle to split the first couple of series in the second half and fall to 9 games back. KW, refusing to give up, makes Fregosi manager and when the trading deadline comes he makes a move like picking up Tejada for Valentin, Rauch, and Borchard. The team continues to stumble, finishing 79-83.

You can stop at the KW refusing to give up part. If this team struggles against the Tigers, Jndjans and D-Rays again (and at home no less), there won't be anymore players added. I don't know if there will be a firesale but I seriously doubt they would still believe they have a shot...

gosox41
07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan

Assume the Sox' furtunes don't change in the second half. They struggle to split the first couple of series in the second half and fall to 9 games back. KW, refusing to give up, makes Fregosi manager and when the trading deadline comes he makes a move like picking up Tejada for Valentin, Rauch, and Borchard. The team continues to stumble, finishing 79-83.

In the offseason, the Sox dismantle and say goodbye to Lee, Colon, Robbie, Tejada, and Everett and are left with a weak team for 2004 and a minor league system missing Ring, Almonte, Webster, the aforementioned Borchard and Rauch, and others. At this point it is safe to assume that a World Series will have to wait at least 4 or 5 years as the team tries to rebuild again, and still with KW calling the shots. Just to make the picture complete, the Cubs start reaping the benefits of their farm system and tap the rich 2004 free agent market and are the clear favorites in the weak NL central.

At this point, what happens with the sox? JR could just ride it out and field 90 loss teams like what we had in the Nahoradny-Nordhagan-Chappas era. It is hard to believe that is possible because you would never see more than 5000 fans at the cell for the games. JR selling or moving the team is a possiblity but that seems pretty farfetched. Equally farfetched is the idea of him (even if he could afford it) to tap the market and field a team with a $100 million payroll. I can't envision contraction, either, since this is a venerable team with history in a large market.

If the worst comes to pass this year, I simply cannot imagine what will happen with the team in the near future. What do you folks think will happen?

Even KW wouldn't be dumb enough to trade Borchard (or Reed) or Rauch (who is hurt right now) for Tejada with the team 9 games back.

As for losing Almonte and Ring, I think their losses are overrated. Almonte is a 26 year old AAA pitcher who isn't having that good year. And Ring will probably be a good reliever or closer. The thing to remember is:

1. The "closer" role is overrated
2. Ring is a reliever, even if he has big upside. I definitely would not have traded a starter with his upside.
3. The Sox traded a guy who is going to pitch 75 innings a year for an everyday player who if he decides to dial up the intensity can be a HOFer.

Also, if Lee leaves, he's likely to be traded for something in return. If Colon, Everett, R. Alomar, and Jose Valentin leave and the Sox offer them arbitration then the Sox can get 2 draft picks for each of one that leaves.

Bob

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Please don't ponder....thank you.