PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Column On Manuel / Reinsdorf

Lip Man 1
07-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Gang:

I know many of you don't like him but I strongly suggest that you read Jay Mariotti's column in the Sun Times today (Thursday) on Jerry Manuel and why Jerry Reinsdorf refuses to fire him.

After reading it, if you feel Jay is wrong please post where you think he's incorrect and why.

I'd like to see the reasoning behind why you feel that way.

Personally I think he hits the nail right on the head and why I continue to feel that Manuel will not be fired until after the season (if then...)

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay17.html)

Lip

DC Sox Fan
07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
I thought it was a great article, and shows the Chairman's love of thumbing his nose at Sox Fans, Chicago, and the world.

:moron
"Just telling it like it is"

:reinsy
"The only hot seat is my office chair after too many sliders"

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 12:38 PM
It goes to show why most Sox fans haven't returned to the park. If Reinsy sold the team, the Sox fans would be back in the park right away.

JJAustin69
07-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Like him or not, Maritotti is right on the money on this one. He takes note of Chris Berman turning Sox fans boos into a national story. Also, he rightly recognizes that Reinsdorf makes many of his moves out of spite toward his own fan base. I mean, this is the man that ran Michael Jordan out of town and broke up a championship team just so that he could be 'right'. As far as the Sox are concerned, don't think for a minute that he doesn't have a good deal of animosity toward Sox fans. He claims to want a championship but tries to put the blame in our laps via attendance and payroll etc. for their failure. Suffice it to say that Reinsdorf wouldn't mind winning but his priorities are his money and his grudges.

Kilroy
07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
I thought it was a great article, and shows the Chairman's love of thumbing his nose at Sox Fans, Chicago, and the world.

It only shows that because that's what the Moron wrote. It doesn't prove its true for one second. Are we forgetting that Moronotti, a first-class ass-clown, is well known for writing pieces about teams claiming to have first-hand knowledge when he hasn't even made the effort to go to the clubhouse?

I don't believe anything this guy writes because I don't believe he makes the effort to really find out anything.

DC Sox Fan
07-17-2003, 01:08 PM
kilroy- I never said I was the world's biggest Moronotti fan or anything :)

And what he did was put into words our frustrations. That's why I personally feel this article is dead-on.

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
It only shows that because that's what the Moron wrote. It doesn't prove its true for one second. Are we forgetting that Moronotti, a first-class ass-clown, is well known for writing pieces about teams claiming to have first-hand knowledge when he hasn't even made the effort to go to the clubhouse?

I don't believe anything this guy writes because I don't believe he makes the effort to really find out anything.

You don't have to be in the clubhouse to know how JR works. He wants to win a championship HIS way, and that's it. Otherwise he'd open up his pocketbook and tell KW to get the players they need to get to the playoffs no matter what.

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Gang:

I know many of you don't like him but I strongly suggest that you read Jay Mariotti's column in the Sun Times today (Thursday) on Jerry Manuel and why Jerry Reinsdorf refuses to fire him.

After reading it, if you feel Jay is wrong please post where you think he's incorrect and why.

I'd like to see the reasoning behind why you feel that way.

Personally I think he hits the nail right on the head and why I continue to feel that Manuel will not be fired until after the season (if then...)

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay17.html)

Lip

C'mon Lip, you've got to give us more credit than that. We're Sox fans, not Reinsdork fans. Do you really think anyone that posts on this site is going to defend him?

The moron has seemed a little less offensive ever since Corkgate. His hero has been found out as a cheater so now he has to turn to the other side of town. Ironic?

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 01:36 PM
The question is:

Does JR have the resources to pull a Steinbrenner and buy a championship? I know that he would never do it, but the question asks if he is CAPABLE of buying one. Does he have the wallet to do it?

Clarkdog
07-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Say what you will about Mariotti. This column is dead on. We have serious ownership issues with all our teams, but Reinsdorf is clearly the worst.

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
The question is:

Does JR have the resources to pull a Steinbrenner and buy a championship? I know that he would never do it, but the question asks if he is CAPABLE of buying one. Does he have the wallet to do it?

He might not have enough for a 100 million+ payroll but he should be able to at least manage somewhere in the 70-80 million range. Especially considering that we the fans have already shown that if he puts a championship team on the field, we will show up and spend our money to watch them. Compare the attendance between 1999 and 2000 to see what I mean.

He has it ass-backward in that he wants the fans to show up first, then he'll spend the money...

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
He has it ass-backward in that he wants the fans to show up first, then he'll spend the money...

It goes deeper than that. If the fans don't spend the money he requires, then he will dismantle the team and take the yearly revenue and run to the bank, laughing all the way, blaming the fans and saying crap like...

:reinsy
"Anyone who thinks this team can catch Cleveland is crazy."

He won't just not build it, he will tear down the walls and sell off the bricks for scrap if he doesn't see enough fans at the game to suit his tastes...

brewcrew/chisox
07-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Every good point Mariotti brings up in his articles, is ruined by one that is just flat out wrong.

Case in point? The aforementioned article in today's Scum Times:

Good point: "Any thought of about white-flagging it in the AL central, a winnable division led by the vulnerable Kansas City Royals, is deplorable"

Idiotic point: "But all you have to do is look across town, at Dusty Baker and the Cubs, to see a team that maximizes its talent and always is ready to play"

HUH?!!

I did enjoy that article though