PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com slams The Cell

MarqSox
07-17-2003, 10:13 AM
I just don't get see what's so bad about the park. Honestly.

Unfortunately, the game -- a good one -- was played in one of the worst ballparks in the land, a remnant of bad taste, greed and poor planning. It might have been designed by some demented Kremlin commissar as a bizarre and foul tribute to the Vet in Philadelphia or Shea Stadium, a hideous place indeed.

Give me a break.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/barnicle/030716.html

moochpuppy
07-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I just don't get see what's so bad about the park. Honestly.

Give me a break.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/barnicle/030716.html

More outstanding research by a journalist. The park was modeled after Yankee stadium.

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Notice how he spelled "Comisky"?

Was he even at the game?

Poverty and bad news? Has he even seen the neighborhood?

1951Campbell
07-17-2003, 10:25 AM
MarqSox --as I'm sure you remeber, Barnicle was fired from the Boston Globe for making up people in his columns. So consider the source here.

I can't stand that guy.

QueerGirrl
07-17-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm getting real tired of "journalists" ripping our park. There's nothing wrong with it except for the upper deck. And for many people that's not even an issue. The neighborhood is not as bad as many outsiders believe and Bridgeport is a beautiful community. If these people would just take the time to find out the truth, none of this nonsense would be written. :angry:

MarqSox
07-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
MarqSox --as I'm sure you remeber, Barnicle was fired from the Boston Globe for making up people in his columns. So consider the source here.

I can't stand that guy.

I remember, but unfortunately 95% of the people that just read that don't remember.

I guess it was foolish for me to think that people might actually change their opinions of The Cell after seeing it this week ...

CHISOXFAN13
07-17-2003, 10:59 AM
What a bozo. Spell Comiskey correctly if you want to have any credibility.

Dadawg_77
07-17-2003, 11:04 AM
If you wish to comment on his article his article courtesy of Ny Daily News, mikebarniclenews @aol.com

fledgedrallycap
07-17-2003, 11:05 AM
I take nothing I read on ESPN Page 2 seriously, probably why this bum is writting there. Usually they have some amusing top ten list or something. Did anyone else notice there wasn't an e-mail to the Author button?

NC_sox_fan
07-17-2003, 11:17 AM
You can send this bozo an email and nail him!

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/feedback.html

If this link doesn't work, go to the article and click on the link at the bottom of the page CONTACT US. From there click on the ESPN.COM link. Under Contacts click on the last option about questions or comments about Espn's Page Two. This should take you directly to the link to leave a comment for Barnicle. What a jerk.

SoxOnTop
07-17-2003, 11:27 AM
I agree that the Cell is a testament to owner greed, but it is far from the worst field in the land.

Dude needs to come down to St. Pete and see what an absolute monstrosity Tropicana Field is. We're talking a combination of barn and spaceship.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
You can send this bozo an email and nail him!

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/feedback.html

If this link doesn't work, go to the article and click on the link at the bottom of the page CONTACT US. From there click on the ESPN.COM link. Under Contacts click on the last option about questions or comments about Espn's Page Two. This should take you directly to the link to leave a comment for Barnicle. What a jerk.

Thanks. I submitted the following response:

The article about US Cellular Field by Mike Barnicle was a joke. Has Mike "The Liar" Barnicle ever written an article where he didn't make stuff up? Has he ever visited US Cellular Field? Has he ever walked down the streets around the neighborhood to see the new developments and town homes? How can a reputable sports website like ESPN allow this type of trash, innuendo and outright lies be published on its website? The man didn't even spell Comiskey correctly. Honestly, I normally try and stay away from the "media hates the Sox" attitude that many Sox fans believe, but this article was so bad that it deserves to be pulled from your site.

Stop printing rumors and lies, ESPN. Stop giving a forum to authors that print rumors and lies.

This was bad journalism, plain and simple. No shock that the guy who wrote it has already been fired from one job for making stuff up. Perhaps ESPN should follow suit.

-Jim L.
Voodoochile@whitesoxinteractive.com

Foulke You
07-17-2003, 11:41 AM
What is it with these websites and newspapers that trot out these dated early '90s AP photos of Comiskey Park when they want to rag on the park. Notice, the picture pre-dates every renovation that has been done to the park. That pic of Comiskey is so old that it has the old "cave" bullpens and the moat in the outfield. Sheesh. The All-Star Game just happened here...perhaps a CURRENT photo or two might be available to ESPN? No, of course not, a newer photo wouldn't drive home your opinion would it? :angry:

Lip Man 1
07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Actually the new Comiskey Park was structured after Royals Stadium in K.C. The same architects HOK did both stadiums.

Lip

kbriley
07-17-2003, 12:14 PM
I am not even sure what the point of that article was...the cell comment was like a 3 paragraph aside that didn't relate to anything. What was the point?

Brian26
07-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Actually the new Comiskey Park was structured after Royals Stadium in K.C. The same architects HOK did both stadiums.

Lip

Actually, actually...it was modeled after "the best elements of several major league parks". You can see traces of Royals Stadium, Yankee Stadium and even Dodger Stadium in the design.

Mammoo
07-17-2003, 12:33 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/images/columnists/barnicle_m.jpg

Catch me on MSNBC's Hardball

Foulke You
07-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

He looks like an evil pirate! All he needs is the eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder! :D:

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
He looks like an evil pirate! All he needs is the eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder! :D:

HAHA!!!

Hullett_Fan
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Nice friggin teeth!!

MarqSox
07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Foulke You
07-17-2003, 05:53 PM

HAHAHA!! CLASSIC!! :)

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 08:30 PM

Mike Barnicle Bill (the Sailor)?

doublem23
07-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Uh... Just because HOK designed the stadium, that doesn't mean that they designed it after old one. HOK also was behind the Ballpark at Arlington and I don't think they designed that one after Kauffman or U.S. Cellular...

Actually, come to think of it, U.S. Cellular doesn't really emulate Kauffman in any way, shape, or form (other than there just "happens" to be a baseball diamond in the middle of the two... What a coincidence).

baseballboy
07-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Page 2 is probably the worst thing on ESPNs website. That beig said, Comiskey could and should be a whole lot better. Granted, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't think it is a bad park, I just think it could be a whole lot better. It is actually designed after Yankee stadium, not Kauffman. If you don't believe me then put the 2 stadiums back to back ad you will see. Jerry wanted it that way.

It should be facing out towards Dowtown, not towards the projects.

The upperdeck is not the fault of the architects, it was Reinsdorfs fault and he can't do anything to change it. The greedy bastard wanted a 2nd tier of suites, which most go unoccupied, and he didn't want any overhang. Therefore we get this steep drop of an upperdeck. All you would miss with the overhang is a pop up now and then. No big deal as most in the suites dont pay attention anyways and they arent even real baseball fans, for the most part. They are usually just corporate scum. But Reinsdorf got greedy and stuck the fans with this nonsense. He will never be able to change those 2 things no matter how much money he spends.

Again I am not saying it is a bad park. I don't even care about the park once the game starts. The only parks that I totally hated that i have been at so far and that has made a difference to the way I view a game are (1) Wrigley because it smells like urine and stale old style beer and all the obstructed views. Plus my ass hurts from the damn small wooden seats. (2) The other is Tampa's Tropicana Field. What a dump that is. It is ugly and feels like your playing in a huge garage. Just nasty.

We are far from the worst park in the league. However, Jerry should have built us something a whole lot better, the greedy bastard.

MarqSox
07-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Actually, it WAS designed after Kauffman. The whole reason Reinsdorf hired HOK was because he loved Kauffman. There's also influence from Yankee Stadium.