PDA

View Full Version : Porzio over Wright?


delben91
07-17-2003, 09:14 AM
The Sun-Times and 5 keys to the Sox making the playoffs. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug171.html)

Check out number 4. It mentions Garland being inconsistent (though I think he's been amazingly solid of late), and the goes on to comment that Danny Wright is in AAA, and that Porzio will get at least another start next week.

And the Tribune is saying this. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030716sox,1,6758506.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
(#3 says that Porzio will get 2 starts before deciding on Wright).

I personally am more a fan of Wright, but he obviously wasn't getting the job done with any regularity. Is Porzio really the answer? How much will the 5th starter be involved in the next few weeks, are there a lot of off days?

gosox41
07-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by delben91
The Sun-Times and 5 keys to the Sox making the playoffs. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug171.html)

Check out number 4. It mentions Garland being inconsistent (though I think he's been amazingly solid of late), and the goes on to comment that Danny Wright is in AAA, and that Porzio will get at least another start next week.

And the Tribune is saying this. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030716sox,1,6758506.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
(#3 says that Porzio will get 2 starts before deciding on Wright).

I personally am more a fan of Wright, but he obviously wasn't getting the job done with any regularity. Is Porzio really the answer? How much will the 5th starter be involved in the next few weeks, are there a lot of off days?

I don't think Porzio is the answer to anything. He's 30 years old and doesn't have impressive numbers. He may be a decent long reiliever (assuming the Sox decide to use Glover more and dump Koch) but that's all I can see out of him.

Bob

SoxxoS
07-17-2003, 10:35 AM
At least he throws strikes.

TheRockinMT
07-17-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't think Porzio is the answer as the fifth starter. He is a good long relief pitcher and can spot start, but has shown the ability to go only 5-6 innings. I like danny Wright too, but he is not consistent, but if he can learn to control his pitches and locate them properly I think he can be dominating. I don't think he has the faith in his stuff, which has a lot of movement. Instead of abandoning some of his pitches he needs to have faith in his ability and determine where to spot the ball so it is hitting the corners and sinking with regularity.

NC_sox_fan
07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
They haven't tried Jon Adkins yet. He's so-so this year, 5 -5 with a 4.22 ERA. Or even Jon Rauch -- he's 4 -1 with a 4.26.

I'm expecting another trade for a pitcher if this team gets it together this week. Although, who knows what could happen????

:?:

SoxxoS
07-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
They haven't tried Jon Adkins yet. He's so-so this year, 5 -5 with a 4.22 ERA. Or even Jon Rauch -- he's 4 -1 with a 4.26.

I'm expecting another trade for a pitcher if this team gets it together this week. Although, who knows what could happen????

:?:

Rauch is on the DL with shoulder issues.

SoxxoS
07-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
. I like danny Wright too, but he is not consistent, but if he can learn to control his pitches and locate them properly I think he can be dominating. I don't think he has the faith in his stuff, which has a lot of movement. Instead of abandoning some of his pitches he needs to have faith in his ability and determine where to spot the ball so it is hitting the corners and sinking with regularity.

That is a rookie, 2nd year-type problem. Wright is not a rookie or a 2nd year guy. He should have learned how to harness his pitches and mentally learn how to pitch by now, if he is ever going to get it.

I would say he would do well in the bullpen, but 1st innings have always been his downfall. Can't have a bad 1st inning in the bullpen.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That is a rookie, 2nd year-type problem. Wright is not a rookie or a 2nd year guy. He should have learned how to harness his pitches and mentally learn how to pitch by now, if he is ever going to get it.

I would say he would do well in the bullpen, but 1st innings have always been his downfall. Can't have a bad 1st inning in the bullpen.

Depends on if it is the mental weight of it being the 1st inning or merely Wright's first inning in the game that makes the difference. If it is the latter and his first inning is the ninth inning it is going to make for a lot of headaches...

JJAustin69
07-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Porzio or Wright? Death by hanging or firing squad?

MHOUSE
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Porzio looked good at the end of last year. He's a better option than Sanders. I like Sanders, but he doesn't have any great ability that puts him at an advantage over Porzio or Wunsch. Porzio is 30 and deserves a decent shot. At least he can start now and then. Let Wright figure it out at AAA. It worked with Rowand who started the season injured like Wright did. He'll be back too.

Foulke You
07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
I liked the fact that Porzio didn't walk many guys against the Tribe in his outing. The walks are what kill Danny Wright and it is something that has plagued him throughout his career. Not sure if Porzio is the long term answer but at the moment, I'll take the lefty guy who is throwing strikes. Advantage, Porzio.