PDA

View Full Version : I must need psychological help

gosox41
07-16-2003, 11:52 PM
I think Jerry Manuel is a lousy MLB manager. He lacks intensity, doesn't seem to care if the team loses or wins, lacks motivational skills, tinkers way too much, and his teams lack fundamentals. As a baseball fan, I wanted him fired after last season.

The problem is I actually feel bad about booing him at last night's All Star game. What's wrong with me? I've been on him all year without ever thinking twice about it. I sometimes get loud enough where people sitting around me encourage it once in awhile.

He is a good guy and probably doesn't deserve to get booed in his own ballpark in front of the world at the All Star Game. I mean most Sox fans were easier on Wil Cordero then Jerry Manuel, and Cordero beat the crap out of his wife. How can I not treat a wife beater worse then a guy whose main problem is that he tinkers too much?

Anyway, I'm feeling really bad about the booing. I still think JM is a lousy manager and should be fired but I'll try to lay off the booing. Of course that might all change when he starts tinkering again Thursday.

And I'm certainly not going to stop pointing out all of his managerial faults here, but I'll make an effort to layoff him at the ballpark. I'm sure he didn't feel good being booed by the homecrowd in front of his family and millions of people on what issupposed to be a celebratory occasion.

Just to show I'm not getting to soft, I have no regreats about booing anyone in the AL Central or anyone on the Cubs.

Bob

Kilroy
07-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey, you're not alone. I didn't like Jerry getting booed either. But I didn't expect Sox fans to change the way they feel for a day either.

WinningUgly!
07-17-2003, 12:09 AM
There is a place in MLB for Jerry Manuel to be a manager, it's just not with a team that is supposed to be competing for a shot at the World Series. Let him go manage a young team like Detroit, where he'll be able to fulfill his tinkering needs.

The White Sox are heading into the second half of the season, with no set everyday lineup, a question mark in the 5th starter spot & nobody in the bullpen knowing what their roles are. This is the manager's fault. Boo the guy all you want & don't feel bad about it!

B. Diddy
07-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Jerry's a decent manager for a young team with little talent that's going to lose a lot. He's a poor manager for a veteran team that's playing far below their potential. Because of this, he's no longer a good fit for the Sox.

We should be booing JR and KW for keeping him around, but I guess that our [the fans'] only way to express our displeasure with the current situation is to boo JM because he's the only person in the public eye now. JR and KW are using JM as a scapegoat to cover up their shortcomings. So, when one boos JM, think of it as booing JR and KW through JM.I'm sure that he doesn't take it personally. And if he does, well, it's not like he's doing a fine job of managing his team this season anyway.

When JM does get the ax, he'll have spent 5 1/2+ years as a major league manager, which is relatively long by today's standards. He was compensated well and will have no trouble getting either another managerial job or a job as a bench coach.

34 Inch Stick
07-17-2003, 09:58 AM
You feel bad for booing because you embarrassed a guy who may be sucking in his job but is generally acknowleged as a good person. Embarass the bad people like Sammy. Let Jerry have his moment in the national spotlight. There is plenty of room to boo tonight.

gosox41
07-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Jerry's a decent manager for a young team with little talent that's going to lose a lot. He's a poor manager for a veteran team that's playing far below their potential. Because of this, he's no longer a good fit for the Sox.

We should be booing JR and KW for keeping him around, but I guess that our [the fans'] only way to express our displeasure with the current situation is to boo JM because he's the only person in the public eye now. JR and KW are using JM as a scapegoat to cover up their shortcomings. So, when one boos JM, think of it as booing JR and KW through JM.I'm sure that he doesn't take it personally. And if he does, well, it's not like he's doing a fine job of managing his team this season anyway.

When JM does get the ax, he'll have spent 5 1/2+ years as a major league manager, which is relatively long by today's standards. He was compensated well and will have no trouble getting either another managerial job or a job as a bench coach.

I feel better after reading that. I'll just pretend it's the two other morons, KW and JR. I feel no pity for either.

Bob

THE_HOOTER
07-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Thats a perfect response--

You feel bad for him because he was absolutely embarrassed in his own town.

I felt bad for him too--it wasnt necessary.

Boo him tonight, and every night after that, but not at the ASG.