PDA

View Full Version : ARod = Most arrogant piece of crap in MLB?

Bisco Stu
07-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Just heard the story of how ARod tried to walk into the Cell by just smiling and waving to the guards. When they asked for ID, he pulled the old "Don't you know WHO I AM?" crap. Then a minor altercation broke out, from what I'm hearing.

I remember when Roger Ebert pulled that at the Toronto Film Festival when they wouldn't let him in a film screening.

NOTHING is more arrogant than the "Don't you know who I am" plea.

Uh sure, we know. We DON'T CARE. Anyone impressed by celebrity is a subhuman.

WinningUgly!
07-16-2003, 10:05 PM
It must not have upset A-Rod too much. He only had good things to say about the Sox, the ballpark, JR, MLB, etc.

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 10:34 PM
A-Rod's a class act, period.

fquaye149
07-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Just heard the story of how ARod tried to walk into the Cell by just smiling and waving to the guards. When they asked for ID, he pulled the old "Don't you know WHO I AM?" crap. Then a minor altercation broke out, from what I'm hearing.

I remember when Roger Ebert pulled that at the Toronto Film Festival when they wouldn't let him in a film screening.

he wasn't trying to win accolades...he just wanted to get in the ballpark. he and roger have a similar case: you shoudl know who i am, i am very important to the success of this event, so you would be wise to let me in.

TornLabrum
07-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
he wasn't trying to win accolades...he just wanted to get in the ballpark. he and roger have a similar case: you shoudl know who i am, i am very important to the success of this event, so you would be wise to let me in.

Same thing happened to Pudge in the '93 playoffs when he tried to get into the Sox locker room to wish his former teammates well. He was refused entry because he didn't have credentials.

Do these security people think ball players are like Saddam Hussein and employ doubles?

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Do these security people think ball players are like Saddam Hussein and employ doubles?

Well, to security's credit, there is that guy who looks exactly like Jack Nicholson and goes around places pretending he's him so he can get in for free. It's probably better to err on the side of being over-cautious.

Meixner007
07-16-2003, 11:48 PM

No...they're just doing their job. What do you expect them to do. I sure as hell would hope they would make sure everybody in the place belongs there.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
No...they're just doing their job. What do you expect them to do. I sure as hell would hope they would make sure everybody in the place belongs there.

Exactly. Especially at a major event like the ASG which is surely on some terrorist idiot's list of things to blow up.

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Exactly. Especially at a major event like the ASG which is surely on some terrorist idiot's list of things to blow up.

Um...the clubhouse security doesn't recognize Carlton Fisk who worked at Comiskey Park for over a decade only months after he retired? Clubhouse security doesn't recognize Alex Rodriguez?

Or are you telling me that the terrorists are doing plastic surgery on people who can imitate the voices of major league ballplayers to confuse clubhouse security people so the imposters can bomb major league ballparks?

Rocklive99
07-17-2003, 02:48 AM
As someone said above, he is a class act, and from when Ive heard him talk he is very knowledgable and respectful of the game and its history.

I hate some of the people that work at the Cell. At a game earlier this year, one of the ushers was asking people what inning it was, and when he found out it was the 6th, he started yelling about how baseball is boring and drags on. It was also during a comeback against the Bluejays. I hate people like that who work there, I would love to have a summer job at the Cell, but I live way too far away, but that might just be my opinion.

StepsInSC
07-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu

How DARE one of the greatest hitters in the game assume that someone working at a baseball park would recognize them! Unimagineable!

Hangar18
07-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Most Arrogant Player out there is Hands Down.....The Messiah
himself.... Mark Prior.

bobj4400
07-17-2003, 10:01 AM
What about Scam-ME*????

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Um...the clubhouse security doesn't recognize Carlton Fisk who worked at Comiskey Park for over a decade only months after he retired? Clubhouse security doesn't recognize Alex Rodriguez?

Or are you telling me that the terrorists are doing plastic surgery on people who can imitate the voices of major league ballplayers to confuse clubhouse security people so the imposters can bomb major league ballparks?

So now they have to not only recognize faces but voices too?

I don't know about the incident in question. It sounds like it has been blown up into something it isn't (hardly Michael Irving in a hotel room with a bag of coke and a couple of hookers asking the state trooper, "do you know who I am?"). Why does everyone want better security (especially at huge national events) and then get upset when it happens to them or someone they know?

I don't recall the Fisk incident, but it was a decade ago. So, if 2 times in 11 years a person who should be recognized is forced to present ID to enter the premesis or not allowed in at all, it doesn't sound like security is constantly falling down on the job and humiliating the Sox in the process.

Isn't security supposed to be extra vigilent at these types of events? So they didn't recognize ARod. Oh well. Hardly a major news story now is it?

valposoxfan
07-17-2003, 10:41 AM
A-Rod is undoubtedly one of the classiest "superstars" in baseball. I've met him twice and he is the one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, hands down. I can immediately think of three others who you should direct your angst toward right away as far as arrogance goes: Prior, Sosa, Bonds. Hate them. Don't hate A-Rod.

Juan Pizarro
07-17-2003, 10:47 AM
I first encountered A-Rod when he was playing for the Appleton Foxes. He was as unassuming, kind and giving of his time with kids as anyone I've ever seen.
From all appearances, he is that same guy now. His on-air performance from The Cell was as classy as anything we've seen from an active player.
He's got that Tom Seaver kind of class.

FJA
07-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
A-Rod is undoubtedly one of the classiest "superstars" in baseball. I've met him twice and he is the one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, hands down. I can immediately think of three others who you should direct your angst toward right away as far as arrogance goes: Prior, Sosa, Bonds. Hate them. Don't hate A-Rod.

I saw Prior at FanFest ... complete jerk. He wouldn't sign a single autograph, had security guards whose job it was to keep people at least five feet away from him, and then to boot, while he was supposed to be coaching some kid in an XBOX tournament, he spent at least the first five minutes talking to someone else on his cell phone.

On the other hand, Carl Everett was a great guy ... security guards kept trying to tear him away from fans and he was staying out signing autographs and talking to people ... he autographed my hat. Dave Winfield was also very nice ... of all people, Konerko also seemed like a bit of a jerk, with the same "five feet away" security as Prior. They all have it, but obviously, if they'd rather talk to fans and sign autographs, they can do that. I don't understand how a hometown hitter below the Mendoza line can refuse to write his name for the misguided people who want it.

Others too, but I don't want to just keep listing ...

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by FJA
I saw Prior at FanFest ... complete jerk. He wouldn't sign a single autograph, had security guards whose job it was to keep people at least five feet away from him, and then to boot, while he was supposed to be coaching some kid in an XBOX tournament, he spent at least the first five minutes talking to someone else on his cell phone.

On the other hand, Carl Everett was a great guy ... security guards kept trying to tear him away from fans and he was staying out signing autographs and talking to people ... he autographed my hat. Dave Winfield was also very nice ... of all people, Konerko also seemed like a bit of a jerk, with the same "five feet away" security as Prior. They all have it, but obviously, if they'd rather talk to fans and sign autographs, they can do that. I don't understand how a hometown hitter below the Mendoza line can refuse to write his name for the misguided people who want it.

Others too, but I don't want to just keep listing ...

Konerko's probably just worried that some rabid WSI poster will punch him in the hip to see if he can walk afterwards... :D:

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 11:03 AM
So now they have to not only recognize faces but voices too?

I don't know about the incident in question. It sounds like it has been blown up into something it isn't (hardly Michael Irving in a hotel room with a bag of coke and a couple of hookers asking the state trooper, "do you know who I am?"). Why does everyone want better security (especially at huge national events) and then get upset when it happens to them or someone they know?

I don't recall the Fisk incident, but it was a decade ago. So, if 2 times in 11 years a person who should be recognized is forced to present ID to enter the premesis or not allowed in at all, it doesn't sound like security is constantly falling down on the job and humiliating the Sox in the process.

Isn't security supposed to be extra vigilent at these types of events? So they didn't recognize ARod. Oh well. Hardly a major news story now is it?

Regarding the voices: The clubhouse security people do that as their job. They should recognize at least players in their own league, face and voice. Hence the comment about terrorist having to undergo plastic surgery and alter their voices.

Second, the clubhouse security people do that as their job. They should at least recognize people from the American League, except perhaps for rookies. ARod isn't a rookie.

There was a third incident reported on ESPN. When Barry Zito reported and was told that he would not be playing, he was denied access either to the locker room or the playing field (I didn't catch which). Nice, huh? Oh, by the way you're not playing. And since you don't have your credentials, you can't even drop in and say hi.

So apparently it was two incidents the same day.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Regarding the voices: The clubhouse security people do that as their job. They should recognize at least players in their own league, face and voice. Hence the comment about terrorist having to undergo plastic surgery and alter their voices.

Second, the clubhouse security people do that as their job. They should at least recognize people from the American League, except perhaps for rookies. ARod isn't a rookie.

There was a third incident reported on ESPN. When Barry Zito reported and was told that he would not be playing, he was denied access either to the locker room or the playing field (I didn't catch which). Nice, huh? Oh, by the way you're not playing. And since you don't have your credentials, you can't even drop in and say hi.

So apparently it was two incidents the same day.

I don't know about the Zito situation. Did he eventually get approval to go in? ARod clearly made it in because he started. We are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Security's job is to prevent unknown people from getting into the clubhouse. If you belong in the clubhouse, show an ID and you get in. It's that simple.

I am happy that security did their job. I wish more security people would do their jobs, even if that means a few "celebrities" have to flash a drivers lickense.

SoxOnTop
07-17-2003, 12:23 PM
I am happy that security did their job. I wish more security people would do their jobs, even if that means a few "celebrities" have to flash a drivers lickense.

I agree whole heartedly. Is A-Rod so lofty that it is above him to have the proper credentials and show them when necessary. Security's job is not to be starstruck or in awe of the people around them. They are there to make sure that only the people who are supposed to get by acutally get by.

It's not like A-Rod plays for the Sox. He is here at the Cell maybe 3 days out of the year and 5 days this year. Security is not paid to watch the games and know who A-Rod is. It's his job to have his credentials.

steff
07-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Konerko's probably just worried that some rabid WSI poster will punch him in the hip to see if he can walk afterwards... :D:

I wasn't there that day :D:

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I don't know about the Zito situation. Did he eventually get approval to go in? ARod clearly made it in because he started. We are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Security's job is to prevent unknown people from getting into the clubhouse. If you belong in the clubhouse, show an ID and you get in. It's that simple.

I have to admit, I'm playing devils advocate here, and I'll continue a bit more.

You say security's job is to prevent UNKNOWN people from getting into the clubhouse? Alex Rodriguez? Barry Zito????

Zito, I think eventually got in after talking to somebody, not sure who.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 01:49 PM
I have to admit, I'm playing devils advocate here, and I'll continue a bit more.

You say security's job is to prevent UNKNOWN people from getting into the clubhouse? Alex Rodriguez? Barry Zito????

Zito, I think eventually got in after talking to somebody, not sure who.

Isn't the point of security to NOT take people at face value? If someone walked who looked like and claimed to be Bill Clinton with an entourage of "bodyguards" should the security people just step aside?

Good security people stop everyone they aren't 100% sure beongs and wait until they get approval or see proper ID. I wouldn't know Barry Zito if I was sitting next to him at a ball game. I might or might not recognize ARod if he was walking down the street. I know that I'm not a Sox Security guard, but I have no problem with them doing their job and preventing people from entering the stadium until they are sure they belong.

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Isn't the point of security to NOT take people at face value? If someone walked who looked like and claimed to be Bill Clinton with an entourage of "bodyguards" should the security people just step aside?

Good security people stop everyone they aren't 100% sure beongs and wait until they get approval or see proper ID. I wouldn't know Barry Zito if I was sitting next to him at a ball game. I might or might not recognize ARod if he was walking down the street. I know that I'm not a Sox Security guard, but I have no problem with them doing their job and preventing people from entering the stadium until they are sure they belong.

You might not, but you'd think someone who has been doing clubhouse security for more than 20 minutes might.

voodoochile
07-17-2003, 02:37 PM
You might not, but you'd think someone who has been doing clubhouse security for more than 20 minutes might.

And I still want that guy checking the ID's. Prior to 9-11 it was a different issue, but we live in a different world now...

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Along the same lines, I just heard on SC last night that the judge dealing with Kobe Bryant's sexual harassment case had no idea who Kobe was until somebody told him.

:)

TornLabrum
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Along the same lines, I just heard on SC last night that the judge dealing with Kobe Bryant's sexual harassment case had no idea who Kobe was until somebody told him.

:)

Does the judge work in the Lakers clubhouse? :D:

SouthBendSox
07-18-2003, 12:52 AM
A-rod is a good dude