PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Carlos's avg. against lefties

trimbo
07-16-2003, 08:57 PM
It's .190 for this year, as per Hal's article. I don't know if this has been noted, but ESPN.com stats reveal it's .286 for the 2000-2002 period. Plus, he has a .277 average against righties over that time.

Last year he was .295 against lefties and .255 against righties.

Anyway, this doesn't mean the General shouldn't be fired of course. I just couldn't imagine Carlos sucked that bad against lefties over a longer duration.

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Carlos Lee still has a long way to go before he fulfills his potential has a Major League hitter. Every time he starts to swing the bat well, he tries to pull everything, and then he struggles again. This cycle repeats itself several times during the course of the baseball season. It's getting old.

I like Carlos. He has done a nice job holding down the five and six slots in the order in place of Paul Konerko. However, he hasn't made any progress since last season. Where is the plate patience he showed during the second half of 2002? I have seen Carlos take some of the ugliest swings known to man this season. Why this hasn't been corrected is beyond me.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Lee and left-handed pitching. It's been awhile since I broke one of his at-bats down pitch by pitch to analyze how opponents were trying to get him out, so I don't have the slightest idea why he has so much trouble with lefties. This is yet another thing that Greg Walker needs to work on.

duke of dorwood
07-16-2003, 09:10 PM
That is obviously one of the reasons we are not too good against lefties

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
That is obviously one of the reasons we are not too good against lefties

All the more reason for Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel to roll his "Southpaw Wrecking Crew" lineup.

jeremyb1
07-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Carlos Lee still has a long way to go before he fulfills his potential has a Major League hitter. Every time he starts to swing the bat well, he tries to pull everything, and then he struggles again. This cycle repeats itself several times during the course of the baseball season. It's getting old.

I like Carlos. He has done a nice job holding down the five and six slots in the order in place of Paul Konerko. However, he hasn't made any progress since last season. Where is the plate patience he showed during the second half of 2002? I have seen Carlos take some of the ugliest swings known to man this season. Why this hasn't been corrected is beyond me.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Lee and left-handed pitching. It's been awhile since I broke one of his at-bats down pitch by pitch to analyze how opponents were trying to get him out, so I don't have the slightest idea why he has so much trouble with lefties. This is yet another thing that Greg Walker needs to work on.

i agree with all this except that i don't place too much responsibility on greg walker. carlos doesn't seem to lack the knowledge or the ability to take pitches and hit the ball the other way, he's shown he's more than capable of both of these tasks and that he is an elite hitter when he walks and hits the ball the other way, yet he simply does not consistently perform. if you as, me he simply lacks the mental discpline. carlos himself needs to focus more and push himself harder and manuel as well as walker needs to take a tough love approach with him and truly emphasize the importance of taking an approach that doesn't involve trying to hit a home run every at bat even if that means sitting carlos.

LASOXFAN
07-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Lee is a bust. A perfect example of this organization's crack-like addiction to players with "potential."

He should be DH'ing somewhere.

RKMeibalane
07-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i agree with all this except that i don't place too much responsibility on greg walker.

I'm not blaming Greg Walker for Carlos' problems. I'm just saying that he needs to spend some time with Carlos, having him work on hitting the ball to rightfield more.

jeremyb1
07-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Lee is a bust. A perfect example of this organization's crack-like addiction to players with "potential."

He should be DH'ing somewhere.

i'd love to know how you build a team without relying on potential unless you have more than an 80 million dollar payroll. signing bonds to play left field when he was a free agent was plan a but the club decided we'd get more production if we built a team on carlos lee's potential.

unless you're the yankees to have a successful team you need to rely upon your minor league system to produce players. i shudder to think where the sox would be without buehrle, garland, maggs, and frank who were all young players with potential in our system at one time or another.