PDA

View Full Version : On the "Money" - great piece!

IronFisk
07-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Like we all didn't know this already, but it's nice to see JR's greed exposed.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/11/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 04:06 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/11/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/unfriendly_chart.gif

Check out those average attendance figures. Does anyone need anymore confirmation that Reinsy is the problem?

Look at the jump in flubbie attendance immediately following the WFT. Yes, the flubbies were in the playoffs that year, but what's the excuse thereafter?

:selljerry

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Look at the jump in flubbie attendance immediately following the WFT. Yes, the flubbies were in the playoffs that year, but what's the excuse thereafter?

Actually, voodoo, the Cubs made the playoffs in 1998. The White Flag Trade took place in 1997.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Actually, voodoo, the Cubs made the playoffs in 1998. The White Flag Trade took place in 1997.

That's what I was referring to. The year after the WFT, the flubbies made the playoffs. Sorry for being unclear.

Dadawg_77
07-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That's what I was referring to. The year after the WFT, the flubbies made the playoffs. Sorry for being unclear.

Most of baseball experience a jump in attendance in 1998, among other things, McGwire and Sosa brought crowds back to the game with the homerun chase. One of the few teams not to benefit from this boom was our beloved White Sox.

WhiteSox = Life
07-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Actually, look at the dropoff in attendance after the 1994 season.

I wonder what happened that year to cause such a decline?

soxfan45
07-16-2003, 04:57 PM
I cannot believe you guys have fallen for this Sox vs Cubs attendence junk. Its almost silly to even talk about. Bridgeport or Wrigleyville???....hmmm....where would I rather be before, during, and after a baseball game? More bars, food, and safe nightlife. Is there any other question? Short of building Cominskey part on the lakefront, the Sox were doomed to failure. Yes Sox park is convienient, has better parking, and a great lower deck and bleachers, but nothing else.

Its is completly silly to blame this on Super Suites. Have you seen the location of Pac Bell, or Camden Yards??? The surrounding area is a bit different than the projects across the highway that the Sox have to deal with.

These guys were forced by the Illinois Stadium Authority to build at 35th, and that location (right now) is nothing like the other new ballparks in the major leagues. No comparison...It stinks.

TornLabrum
07-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by soxfan45
I cannot believe you guys have fallen for this Sox vs Cubs attendence junk. Its almost silly to even talk about. Bridgeport or Wrigleyville???....hmmm....where would I rather be before, during, and after a baseball game? More bars, food, and safe nightlife. Is there any other question? Short of building Cominskey part on the lakefront, the Sox were doomed to failure. Yes Sox park is convienient, has better parking, and a great lower deck and bleachers, but nothing else.

Its is completly silly to blame this on Super Suites. Have you seen the location of Pac Bell, or Camden Yards??? The surrounding area is a bit different than the projects across the highway that the Sox have to deal with.

These guys were forced by the Illinois Stadium Authority to build at 35th, and that location (right now) is nothing like the other new ballparks in the major leagues. No comparison...It stinks.

In case you haven't looked, the projects are almost all completely torn down now.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Actually, look at the dropoff in attendance after the 1994 season.

I wonder what happened that year to cause such a decline?

That was true of all of baseball. Fans went on strike in 1995 and didn't really start returning until 1998. The fact that Sox fans started staying away in even higher numbers while the rest of baseball fans were starting to return is a powerful testament that JR needs to sell the team.