PDA

View Full Version : Let Nancy Play!

SouthSideHitman
07-16-2003, 02:32 PM
I was at the Futures game on Sunday and I was just in heaven for the first inning and a half or so. Why? Because they eschewed the grating two second clips of songs that normally introduce the batters and just let nancy do her thing. It was great, she's witty, a great organist and she draws you back into the game rather than intterupts it. Unfortunatly they soon "corrected" this and had crap blaring from the speakers again by the end of the second inning which just highlighted for me how just how much worse that is.

I think that we should start a movement to get Nancy back doing all or at least most of the player intorductions and music during games again. I mean it really enhances the atmosphere and it would be different and superior to any other major league stadium I've ever been to. I mean c'mon this is the women who made "Na Na Na" a southside tradition.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 02:43 PM
I mentioned this last year sometime.....yes I agree.
She is our last treasure, and you can bet, that if the SOX did
something so stupid (per usual) as to let her go, you know
the CUBS would snap her up in a NY minute.....and the
Media would then be Extolling the Virtues of how great she
is in club wrigley etc etc etc

1951Campbell
07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
You know, they "the young folks" like the rock 'n' roll at games, but I'm 28--don't know if I'm still young--and I would rather have all Nancy, no other music. Period. Ballparks without organs don't really have the same ballpark feel.

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
...and the
Media would then be Extolling the Virtues of how great she
is in club wrigley etc etc etc And within about two years, Cub fans would swear that she was a Wrigley Field tradition, and it all started there.

mandmandm
07-16-2003, 04:42 PM
"Young Folks" are not going to Sox games. Many kids in the city who can take public transportation to comiskey can not afford to go. Families with children can't afford to go to many games. 10+ years of bad PR has driven away the masses. Video games, soccer, computers, skateboards are all fast paced and are attracting the young kids in greater masses than baseball. So MLB better wisen up and appeal to us old fart traditionalists (I will be 31 on Friday) who line their wallets with our dollars and play Nancy from the first batting practice pitch to Flash Gordon striking out the last batter for a White Sox victory!!!

ihatethecubs
07-17-2003, 05:34 AM
every now and then someone always brings this topic up here. nancy is so awesome, i think its time to take action on her behalf. we should all totally bombard the white sox with emails and faxes saying how we want "less rock, more nancy"

and also im so sick of the awful music they blast. well, its better than joe stephen.

Kilroy
07-17-2003, 08:43 AM
I really don't mind the snips of music that are played before the Sox players bat. When Konerko comes up and there's some metal blasting, or when Jose comes up and there's some salsa. No big deal, and that's even enjoyable.

What is most annoying is that someone feels the need to play some kind of sound effect after every damn pitch when the Sox are batting. Shut up already. If they cut that garbage by about 75% it would add to the experience instead of detracting from it.

mrwag
07-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
"Young Folks" are not going to Sox games. Many kids in the city who can take public transportation to comiskey can not afford to go. Families with children can't afford to go to many games.
For my family, I have to drop nearly $150 for a game, figuring in tickets, tolls, parking, and a couple drinks and hot dogs. Also, I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old - sorry but the upper deck is off limits. That's a lot of cash for a middle-class family outing during a recession.

Gumshoe
07-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Either email or tell the marketing people at the GAME!

We need NANCY and ONLY Nancy. That is sweet. Great thread, guys. She's the best!

Gumshoe

duke of dorwood
07-17-2003, 11:16 AM
My kids all like Nancy over the music-and understand her take on songs for players, like the Motel 6 song when #6 is up-etc. Its just another recourse this team wastes. Nancy over the bad music, please.

siugrad25
07-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Nancy is White Sox games. Period. I don't mind the taped stuff during a game, but hearing Nancy play while I'm 1,300 miles away is what makes me think of White Sox games, not this filtered in stuff.

Sure, the player intros are fine, but there's nothing more Chicago than Nancy playing the organ at Comiskey. She's truly a treasure.

So I agree with everyone here, let Nancy play more!!!!

SouthSideHitman
07-17-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority, now we should take action, I'm gonna email the Sox right now and everyone on this site should too. I mean its time that JR listened to his customers rather than marketing studies.

Hangar18
07-18-2003, 09:06 AM
as ive said, shes a treasure for us, and easily the BEST
organist in Baseball. The Media wont acknowledge this because
to acknowledge her is to ACKNOWLEDGE THE WHITE SOX.
All the more reason JR needs to step down ....

soxfaninnewyork
08-07-2003, 08:06 PM
If you guys need some e-mails to be sent out let me know who/where to direct them to...I catch Sox games on WGN Saturday nights on DirecTV here in New York and it's a shame that all that piped in crap has to be heard after each and every pitch! Maybe if you're lucky the DJ lets Nancy get in a few bars between a pitch or two, but mostly its the same repetitive, loud, canned music that has nothing to do with the game...When the Sox were on ESPN last Monday against KC, Nancy should have been leading the cheers, especially with a full house on hand. I'm all for bombarding Sox management with emails to get rid of the canned stuff and just let Nancy play, period!

tacosalbarojas
08-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Nancy is the tops, no doubt. Does anyone else out there remember a few years ago when SI put together their "perfect" ballpark, and the one mention the SOX got in it was Nancy as the park organist.

Unfortunately we'll never get to hear Nancy introduce the players, because as is the trend all over baseball, the SOX guys want their own music played - Carl Everett with Cameo's "Candy" is about as good as it gets for me. I don't mind the salsa stuff that Jose plays either - apparently he is buddies with one of the Puerto Rican salseros that gets his music played before Jose's at bat.

What is everyone's favorite Nancyism for opposing players -- Johnny Damon - "Johnny Angel", Dave Brubek's "Take Five" for Nomar or Olerud? There are so many good ones.

And of course nothing beats an opposition strikeout greeted by "Goodnite Sweetheart" or a victory/HR with "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" and yes they can stop all that other junk they try to interrupt her with on the HR calls at the park.

southsidegirl
08-07-2003, 10:53 PM
I LOVE NANCY!!!!

i remember meeting her when i was about 7 years old with my mom. i wanted her to sign my baseball mit but i didnt have a marker. i was so bummed.....

shes so great! i like it when she plays half way there by bon jovi. id dont know why, but i love it.

we should make a "let nancy play" petition...

Nick@Nite
08-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
And within about two years, Cub fans would swear that she was a Wrigley Field tradition, and it all started there.

Originally posted by Hangar18
...and the Media would then be Extolling the Virtues of how great she is in club wrigley etc etc etc

Please... only one nightmare scenario at a time!

Btw... if Comiskey (I mean the Cell) is as vanilla as all the pundits say it is, there's nothing more that would give it flavor then letting Nancy do her thing (it's obvious to all she's a class act).

... and the thing is, Nancy's been there for years (anyone know how long? :?: ). Talk about Management not utilizing their resources! :angry:

:KW
"Boss, got a great idea that'll really please the fans. I'm forwarding it to the PR department."

:reinsy
"Will it affect my overhead expenditures?"

:nancy
"What do I have to do to get a gig around here?"

TornLabrum
08-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by PinchALoaf
Please... only one nightmare scenario at a time!

Btw... if Comiskey (I mean the Cell) is as vanilla as all the pundits say it is, there's nothing more that would give it flavor then letting Nancy do her thing (it's obvious to all she's a class act).
\

Nancy started either in 1971 or 1972.

davenicholson
08-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I just read in a couple of places that it was 1970. And I agree with all of the sentiment expressed here. As an old-timer (I went to my first game at Comiskey in 1964, when I was 7), I think that a baseball game without organ music makes the atmosphere seem sterile. Especially when a team has in its employ the best there is, Nancy Faust. As much as I like (and can better afford) taking the family to Cougars games, the lack of organ music reminds me what a pale imitation the experience is to what I remember with my Dad at the old ballgame.

Someone can correct me on the third team here, but remember the trivia question: "Who is the only person to play for the White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls?" We all know the answer to that one!

davenicholson
08-08-2003, 09:46 AM
I don't have much use for NPR, but here's a link to a nice interview with Nancy: http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/jul/baseball/010723.baseball.html Interesting background, and some comments on how she is "less free" these days to play songs that might be construed as negative. An example is that she is no longer allowed to play "Fool on the Hill" when an opposing manager walks out to the mound. Also a debunking of the cubbie "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" myth.

Nick@Nite
08-08-2003, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I remember as a kid watching the Sox on cable (from east IA), back in the '70's. Harry Caray would stammer (probably between his Falstaffs) about Nancy Faust, always quick to acknowledge her terrific organ playing.

30-plus years sounds like an institution to me. How can Nancy's serenade of "Kiss him Goodbye" to a departing pitcher be showing anyone up? It's Nancy Faust on the organ, not Snoop Dogg or Eminem busting hardcore, dis'respectin' raps.

GoSox2K3
08-08-2003, 03:03 PM
How do we contact Sox management to let them know our opinion about Nancy?

Soxboyrob
08-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
How do we contact Sox management to let them know our opinion about Nancy?

The above post prompted me to whip off a quick letter to the Gallas marketing team. Gallas has always personally responded to me with a return letter within a week or two of when I've written to him. Here's a copy of the letter I've written and just mailed, accompanied by a copy of all of the posts on this thread. It's just as I wrote it, grammatical errors, choppiness and all. No time for proofreading and correcting, as I'm at work.....I hope you enjoy it. If or when I receive an answer to this correspondence, I'll be sure to post it here.

Dear Mr. Gallas:

Iím writing to again address a topic about which Iíve previously written you. Itís been a few years, but I have written in the past about the painfully loud rock/pop/rap music that continues to blare at the stadium. Iíve always paid a great deal of attention to the changing trends of how and what music is played at the park. Iím a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to music at the park and felt it necessary to comment at this time.

I like rock, pop and rap music, but I feel it hasnít any place in a baseball stadium. When I want to hear loud music of the aforementioned type, I attend a concert or a live show at a local tavern. I am not alone in this opinion and secondly, I assure you, I am not in the minority. Understandably, the Sox organization wants to market itself to the young attendees at the park. Thereís nothing wrong with doing so and even including this type of music at times to make them happy. But it appears to me that the Club is forgetting about the people with the large share of disposable income that really have the opportunity to spend serious money at the park and attend games.

My father was a die-hard Sox fan for all of his life and actually was a vendor in old Comiskey during the early Ď50ís. He loved the Sox and loved going to games. For the 5 or 6 years prior to his recent passing, he just couldnít take the loud music there anymore. Itís not as if he were an old codger just looking for something about which to bitch and moan. He was a youngish mid-60ís guy that didnít understand why music needed to be played an painfully loud levels at the ballgame. That said, my dad was only able to attend maybe 3 or 4 games at Comiskey in the final 6 years of his life.

I canít imagine what kind of market studies the Sox have done that would make them believe that fans actually are enjoying this. I know loads upon loads of Sox fans and NOT ONE OF THEM LIKES THE BLARING MUSIC. Iím not crabby and old. Iím not out of tune with modern music and modern times. I love the organ at ballgames. I very much think that part of what makes Wrigley such a lovely place is there attention to preserving tradition. Iím not suggesting that you try to be Wrigley. Iím suggesting that you try to do some of the things that make Wrigley a wonderful place to enjoy a game. The Sox have been steadfast in their force-feeding of this music to us. Iíve taken to just wearing radio earplugs w/ WMVP 1000 on the radio, to help me drown out the loud music. I just donít understand the thinking.

Since I donít like to just complain when I write to you, I offer you this. Designate an approaching game or homestand as ďNancy Faust Organ Day,Ē whereby all music on that specific day will be organ music. You will be amazed, I assure you, at the positive feedback that this will receive from big fans with big wallets. Why not make every Sunday ďorgan-only day?Ē Or make one game per homestand ďorgan musicĒ day?

I once wrote to you that members of Sox message boards all over the place discuss the way they wish the organ would make a comeback and replace the loud music that currently blares. You noted that message boards are only a small slice of the overall fan base. Fair enough, but they are probably your most rabid fan base and are the fans most likely to attend games regularly. Thusly, I think they deserve additional consideration. I recently visited White Sox Interactive and found a long thread about the organ at Comiskey. I think you need to see whatís been said. Iíve copied and pasted all messages about this topic and sent them to you. The only messages I didnít include were the ones that didnít really address the topic. Maybe you donít have the time to read them all but PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, pass them on to your marketing team. If nothing else, read the final message on the last page I sent you. It is that message that prompted this letter.

Iíve written this letter because I love the Sox and the stadium (except for the horribly loud music and silly sound effects after every pitch and foul ball). I want for it to be a better place. I donít want to be embarrassed anymore when I bring someone there for the first time and they look at me with a pained look on their face when the first loud tunes or sound effects kick in. Itís silly. Itís uncalled for. Please, make it stop.

Sincerely,

Rob Zuiker
Sox fan for 37 years and many more to come.

TornLabrum
08-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
I just read in a couple of places that it was 1970. And I agree with all of the sentiment expressed here. As an old-timer (I went to my first game at Comiskey in 1964, when I was 7), I think that a baseball game without organ music makes the atmosphere seem sterile. Especially when a team has in its employ the best there is, Nancy Faust. As much as I like (and can better afford) taking the family to Cougars games, the lack of organ music reminds me what a pale imitation the experience is to what I remember with my Dad at the old ballgame.

Someone can correct me on the third team here, but remember the trivia question: "Who is the only person to play for the White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls?" We all know the answer to that one!

I just double checked: You're right. 1970 it was.

Now, do you remember when she and Harry started doing TMOTTBG during the 7th inning stretch? Even Nancy wasn't sure what year the last time I talked to her.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2003, 06:43 PM
I just double checked: You're right. 1970 it was.

Now, do you remember when she and Harry started doing TMOTTBG during the 7th inning stretch? Even Nancy wasn't sure what year the last time I talked to her.

TommyJohn
08-09-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Actually, I'm pretty sure he started "Take me out..." in 1976.
Is there some way to look it up?

soxfaninnewyork
08-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Great letter! The "Organ Sundays" and "Nancy Faust Organ Day" sounds great.

I remember one time in Boston when fans at the Boston Garden would boo every time they heard organ music...it was in their opinion that they didn't need music to help them to cheer...it would be great if every time canned music was blurred over the speakers whenever the Sox were at bat the fans would boo loudly, but whenever Nancy would play fans would cheer wildly and get right behind her. I know the tourists and occasional fans won't get it but the die-hards will.

I will also send a letter to Mr. Gallas as a out-of-town fan and post it here.

TornLabrum
08-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by soxfaninnewyork
Great letter! The "Organ Sundays" and "Nancy Faust Organ Day" sounds great.

I remember one time in Boston when fans at the Boston Garden would boo every time they heard organ music...it was in their opinion that they didn't need music to help them to cheer...it would be great if every time canned music was blurred over the speakers whenever the Sox were at bat the fans would boo loudly, but whenever Nancy would play fans would cheer wildly and get right behind her. I know the tourists and occasional fans won't get it but the die-hards will.

I will also send a letter to Mr. Gallas as a out-of-town fan and post it here.

Tie this in with Jesse White and hand out organ donor cards!