PDA

View Full Version : 32nd-man voting

Iwritecode
07-16-2003, 02:17 PM
After looking over the box score, this was pretty much pointless wasn't it? Neither Varitek or Jenkins got into the game.

Also the fact that Frank, who came in second in the AL voting, got snubbed as a replacement over Giambi who came in fourth? and has quite similiar numbers.

The whole thing was pretty much a big waste of time.

Foulke You
07-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
After looking over the box score, this was pretty much pointless wasn't it? Neither Varitek or Jenkins got into the game.

Also the fact that Frank, who came in second in the AL voting, got snubbed as a replacement over Giambi who came in fourth? and has quite similiar numbers.

The whole thing was pretty much a big waste of time.

You are right. I didn't even think about that. 32nd man was nothing but a formality since they didn't even play. I wonder if this will have an effect on voting for next year?

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 05:12 PM
I just think that the managers should be more careful when selecting injury replacements for the AS Game. Because Frank finished second in the voting, that meant that fans wanted to see him play in this year's game. Therefore, it seemed only logical that he would be selected to replace Sweeney, but instead, Giambi was chosen.

Thomas and Giambi have similar numbers, so I don't think that was the reason Jason was selected. It probably had to do with the fact that Giambi plays for the Yankees.

doublem23
07-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Too many damn players in the All-Star Game now...

Thunderstruck30
07-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Anyone know exactly how many players from both teams didnt play?

Unregistered
07-17-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Anyone know exactly how many players from both teams didnt play? IIRC, 11 total. 6 from the AL, 5 from the NL.

Iwritecode
07-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Anyone know exactly how many players from both teams didnt play?

I read an article just yesterday that listed exactly which players didn't play for each team. Of course today I can't find it. Anyway, I know it was a pretty low number on each side. Mostly pitchers. Off the top of my head I know that neither Sabathia or Young got in the game. That didn't make too many Tribe and Tigger fans very happy.

I guess that's what happens when the game "counts" for something...