PDA

View Full Version : Black Jack

BeerHandle
07-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Did anyone see Black Jack on the concourse in right field? He was signing autographs forever. It was cool of him to take the time to sign so many autographs.

Brian26
07-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Did anyone see Black Jack on the concourse in right field? He was signing autographs forever. It was cool of him to take the time to sign so many autographs.

This could be construed in one of two ways.

The first way would be that Jack is a very cool dude who takes time for the fans.

The second way, and the one which I subscribe to, is this: Jack is out of the spotlight now after a decent career that unfortunately ended on a mediocre note. His music career is floundering, at best. He has the typical ego of anyone in the entertainment or sports industry that needs a healthy dose of feeding, and he's probably having a difficult time adjusting to his life now. Signing some extra autographs probably doesn't hurt record sales at this point. Maybe scoring a television analyst gig at this point might help the slightly emptying pocketbook, too. Bottom line, he needs the attention. He was holding court at SoxFest like this too, as anyone who hit the Atrium Bar can attest. I loved Black Jack as a player, don't get me wrong. He was one of the best on those early 90's teams. I'm sure there's an agenda there, though. He ain't no fool.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

The first way would be that Jack is a very cool dude who takes time for the fans.

The second way, and the one which I subscribe to, is this: Jack is out of the spotlight now after a decent career that unfortunately ended on a mediocre note. His music career is floundering, at best. He has the typical ego of anyone in the entertainment or sports industry that needs a healthy dose of feeding, and he's probably having a difficult time adjusting to his life now. Signing some extra autographs probably doesn't hurt record sales at this point. Maybe scoring a television analyst gig at this point might help the slightly emptying pocketbook, too. Bottom line, he needs the attention. He was holding court at SoxFest like this too, as anyone who hit the Atrium Bar can attest. I loved Black Jack as a player, don't get me wrong. He was one of the best on those early 90's teams. I'm sure there's an agenda there, though. He ain't no fool.

Interesting point.

Mammoo
07-16-2003, 02:19 PM
...to Jack McDowell...

get a haircut and order a pizza.

Yikes!

FJA
07-16-2003, 02:20 PM

He signed a lot of autographs in the early '90s too ... so it's probably a little of both.

hold2dibber
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM

Sheesh that's cynical (not that there isn't good reason for cynicism in all things baseball-related). I've always though McDowell comes across as a straight shooter and an honorable guy. In any event, regardless of his motives, the fact that he spent a ton of time signing autographs is, IMHO, always a good thing. McDowell is and always will be one of my favorite Sox players; hard nosed, played to win and truly cared about the out come of every game. The current Sox could desperately use a dose of his personality.

Brian26
07-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
McDowell is and always will be one of my favorite Sox players; hard nosed, played to win and truly cared about the out come of every game. The current Sox could desperately use a dose of his personality.

Is that why Black Jack was out partying with Eddie Veder the night before he got torched in the ALCS? Thankfully, Alex and Wilson came to play that series. Toronto ate McDowell for lunch both games he pitched.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 04:12 PM
BlackJack is and always will be one of my favorite players...
past and present

Brian26
07-16-2003, 04:14 PM
I'll be the first one to admit it was pretty cool when he went after Mark Whiten.

A.T. Money
07-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Is that why Black Jack was out partying with Eddie Veder the night before he got torched in the ALCS? Thankfully, Alex and Wilson came to play that series. Toronto ate McDowell for lunch both games he pitched.

Toronto spanked McDowell that season in the regular season as well. They had his number.

It's not like we were able to hit Juan Guzman and Dave Stewart ether......

We didn't come around until Pat Hentgan, or whoever pitched game 3 for Toronto.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 04:23 PM
When I went out to LA last month to see our Beloved take
on the Dodgers, BlackJack offered to give me some cd's to
bring with me to LA for that Sox Party we had out there.
Totally cool and he didnt have to do that but hes right on.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 04:24 PM
It wasnt Vedder he was partying with, it was Emmanuel Lewis

steff
07-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...to Jack McDowell...

get a haircut and order a pizza.

Yikes!

And buy a new shirt. I saw him in that same blue one twice since Friday!

hold2dibber
07-16-2003, 04:53 PM

I've never heard that before, and I highly doubt its true. I've heard many sources say that Toronto ate him for lunch because he was tipping his pitches. And the Sox probalby wouldn't have been in the ALCS in the first place if it hadn't been for McDowell.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
And buy a new shirt. I saw him in that same blue one twice since Friday!

I thought men were allowed to do that kind of thing... :D:

doublem23
07-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought men were allowed to do that kind of thing... :D:

Not in public... At least that's what the girlfriend tells me. Pfft. :o:

Lip Man 1
07-16-2003, 05:43 PM
ML: Letís talk about the 1993 ALCS. I read an interview a few years ago where then Jays manager Cito Gaston claimed that you and Alex Fernandez were tipping your pitches and thatís why the Jays were able to win. Do you think thatís true?

JM: "The Jays had a real good team that season. They were a veteran bunch of guys. I went 22 - 10 in the regular season and they beat me three times, and Iím not talking about losing to them 2 - 1. They just beat me up. Sometimes it happens that a team has your number no matter what you do. Could I have been tipping something? Maybe... but the Jays were a bunch known for being able to steal and relay signs from the bases to their hitters too."

Lip

doublem23
07-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Comes off as just a bit narcissistic.

Just a bit.

ewokpelts
07-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Hey,
I personally don't think Jack's "missin' the spotlight". He's been invited(and paid) by the Sox to attend various events this season. Same as Carlton Fisk, who has an even bigger beef than Jack with the Chairman. As for his music career "floundering", I dont think so. He's on an independent label. Of course he's not going to be selling millions. But he tours frequently, and is playing some choice Chicago venues. Some of that is his name recognition, but he's booked because he can bring people in the door. And he's not even in a "Chicago band" .

I think that his signing autographs is more of a gesture to past and present Sox fans than being an attempt to make a buck or two.
Gene

whitesoxwilkes
07-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Black Jack talks about trying to find the medium between sports and music in his latest column for Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jm-abaseballplayerforlife&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

A.T. Money
07-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Man I wish he was still playing......I miss his desire.

There would be no corpseball if Black Jack was on the field.

D'Angelo F Death
07-17-2003, 04:29 PM
McDowell's latest (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jm-abaseballplayerforlife&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)