PDA

View Full Version : Twins get Stewart

maurice
07-16-2003, 01:35 PM
. . . and a PTBN for Bobby Kielty (26-year-old switch-hitter with a .375 career OBP).

Link (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/news/min_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030716&content_id=430356&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

wulfy
07-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Kielty has killed the Sox, so this isn't such a bad thing. Plus it doesn't help their starting pitching at all.

JRIG
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Shannon Stewart and a PTPNL for Bobby Kielty.

As a Sox fan, I'm not worried. Kielty was one of the few productive hitters on the Twins. Stewart gives them a leadoff man, but they lose one of the few power sources in their lineup. A wash at best for the Twins IMO.

moochpuppy
07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Just what the Twins need, another outfielder. LOL!

chosk8
07-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Toronto Blue Jays Acquired outfielder Bobby Kielty from the Minnesota Twins for outfielder Shannon Stewart and a player to be named.

http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

hold2dibber
07-16-2003, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure why the Twins are making this move. They have a glut of outfielders already. I would think they would use that surplus to deal for a middle infielder or a starting pitcher - that's where they really have deficiencies.

MarkEdward
07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Nice trade for the Jays. Kielty is an on base machine, and Toronto needs outfielders who can hit. Stewart isn't that bad, but Kielty's a much better option.

Kudos to J.P.

SoxxoS
07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Good...Kielty kills us.

Plus, Shannon Stewart has chronic hamstring problems.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-16-2003, 02:23 PM
i'd much rather the twinks have stewart over keilty. kielty just tears the cover off the ball vs. the sox.

DESPERATION

bobj4400
07-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Look for Kielty to be out of the league or on the bench soon now that he wont have 19 opportunities a year to absolutely destroy White Sox pitching!!

WillieHarris12
07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
:notwinks

kermittheefrog
07-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Wow the Twins got owned. There seems to be no point in this deal. Kielty is younger, cheaper and more productive. And the Twins already have a bunch of outfielders. Is there any rational behind this?

Juan Pizarro
07-16-2003, 03:11 PM
The "rationale," I would guess, is that they're "sending a message" that "they're still in it," so Torii Hunter doesn't lose his mind.

JRIG
07-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Wow the Twins got owned. There seems to be no point in this deal. Kielty is younger, cheaper and more productive. And the Twins already have a bunch of outfielders. Is there any rational behind this?

Um...they got a little bit of speed? Heck, if that's all they wanted, we could have given them Willie Harris for Bobby Kielty. Unless the PTBNL is Josh Phelps this makes no sense for the Twins. None at all.

Stewart is .294/.347/.449 and Kielty is .252/.370/.420. Not to mention the fact that Kiely would be Twins property for 3 more years, I believe. They plan to use Stewart leading off. Too bad his OBP is 22 points lower than the guy they gave away.

34 Inch Stick
07-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Why would Toronto have to send a player as well. I think the Twins are getting the better player in the trade. It's a nice move but not one to end the kind of trouble that is ailing them. That outfield defense will be among the best in the league.

With Koskie ailing they will be hard pressed to find any power in that lineup other than Hunter and occasionally Jones.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Um...they got a little bit of speed? Heck, if that's all they wanted, we could have given them Willie Harris for Bobby Kielty. Unless the PTBNL is Josh Phelps this makes no sense for the Twins. None at all.

Stewart is .294/.347/.449 and Kielty is .252/.370/.420. Not to mention the fact that Kiely would be Twins property for 3 more years, I believe. They plan to use Stewart leading off. Too bad his OBP is 22 points lower than the guy they gave away.

Maybe they are preparing to trade TorIIIIII because he griped...

fquaye149
07-16-2003, 04:18 PM
maybe it's the beginning of the white flag?

kielty was a pimp.

kermittheefrog
07-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
maybe it's the beginning of the white flag?

kielty was a pimp.

Not a chance, they are adding salary. They probably think Stewart is the better player. Suckers.

Maracucho
07-16-2003, 04:57 PM
And BTW the twins plan to play Stewart in RF, guess that means a lot of runners going from first to third on singles to right.Bad move for the twins, Can't complain though...

ma-gaga
07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
I heard a rumor from talk radio (KFAN!) here in Minneapolis that Toronto was picking up Stewarts' salary the rest of this year. Take that as you will.

This move sucks. Even IF Toronto picks up this years salary, I don't get it...

ndgt10
07-16-2003, 06:00 PM
:gulp: Love the move from the sox perspective.

jeremyb1
07-16-2003, 06:41 PM
its so easy to rip other gm's off in baseball if you have any idea what you're doing. great deal for the jays, j.p. is going to have a dominant team in another year or two at this rate.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2003, 06:53 PM
While I agree with everyone else that this trade seems stupid for the Twins and great for the Sox, I still have this sinking feeling deep inside me. I guess it's the Sox Fan in me coming out.

"Whenever something good is happening for the Sox, disaster is about to strike."
-- H. Vickery's Law

:)

harwar
07-16-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm not all that worried about the twins.I know everyone has written off the royals,but thats the team i'm worried about.I've heard that they will make 2 moves before the deadline but haven't heard what they will be.If they pull a couple of trades like the twins just did then its happy days,but if they get someone good,a buckaroo or 2,then well just have to wait and see how the White Sox respond.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Where is Fhawdfnewrjkqflnervce to tell us what a great deal this was?

MHOUSE
07-17-2003, 12:57 AM
The jist I got from ESPN was that it gives them a fulltime RF, a leadoff hitter, and allows them to move Jacque Jones into and RBI spot. So Jones will pick up Kielty's RBI numbers and Stewart will be a better leadoff option. The first thing I thought was white flag, but it sounds more like adding salary and a free agent so maybe it's a message that they want to stay in it. I thought Stewart for Kielty straight up would make more sense. The PTBNL seemed like an odd addition.

fuzzy_patters
07-17-2003, 01:17 AM
This would have been a great deal for the Twins five years ago. Stewart used to be one of my favorite players because he was a legitimate five tool guy, but he does not have that kind of speed anymore. With Stewart not stealing bases, the Twins basically get a .300 hitter that doesn't have a lot of pop and doesn't walk very much. In other words, they just traded for Chris Singleton without as much defense. That is kind of stupid.

As for the Royals, I heard a rumor that they are trying to work out a deal where the Rangers would pay the rest of Juan Gonzalez' salary. That scares me a lot worse than what the Twins are doing.

B. Diddy
07-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Yawn.

gosox41
07-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
This would have been a great deal for the Twins five years ago. Stewart used to be one of my favorite players because he was a legitimate five tool guy, but he does not have that kind of speed anymore. With Stewart not stealing bases, the Twins basically get a .300 hitter that doesn't have a lot of pop and doesn't walk very much. In other words, they just traded for Chris Singleton without as much defense. That is kind of stupid.

As for the Royals, I heard a rumor that they are trying to work out a deal where the Rangers would pay the rest of Juan Gonzalez' salary. That scares me a lot worse than what the Twins are doing.

While Gonzalez will help the Royals offense, the Royals need bullpen help to really help the team. Hopefully their young starters will wake up to reality a little bit in the second half.

Bob

ma-gaga
07-17-2003, 11:44 AM
This wasn't a salary move at all. Twins and Jays are each paying for the players that they traded, so the Twins aren't adding salary.

This really affects the team next year. It's unknown/questionable if the Twins will or should offer Stewart arbitration after this year. To me, it a little more probable that they will, since Stewart is under 30 and would only be guaranteed $5 million or so next year. That's not too bad. I mean, I'd rather have Kielty and his $0.5 million salary for next year, but we'll see what happens.

I guess Stewart will get the opportunity to steal a bit more as a Twin. It wasn't as terrible of a move as I initially thought, but it's basically trading from a strength to a strength. C'mon, there's a couple of crappy middle infielders that could use a change of scenery.

SoxxoS
07-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
While Gonzalez will help the Royals offense, the Royals need bullpen help to really help the team. Hopefully their young starters will wake up to reality a little bit in the second half.

Bob

If something will be the Royals downfall, the bullpen will be it. I think Jason Grimsley's arm fell off over the break.

fhqwhgads
07-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Where is Fhawdfnewrjkqflnervce to tell us what a great deal this was?

Howdy there,

I'm reserving my judgement on this move for a while. Kielty has always been a very streaky player, both offensively and defensively. Stewart has shown consistency, with a lifetime .301 BA, and he's currently 3rd in AL w/RISP, something the Twins (worst in AL w/RISP) desperatly need.

Stewart also bring a little veteran leadership to a team that needs a new perspective on the current situation. This may totally backfire, as clubhouse unity is at a premium (as would be for ANY team losing 8 straight).

All in all, I think that this was mostly a move for the purpose of making a move, which I detest. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

GO TWINS!