PDA

View Full Version : ASG fever in Japan

Paulwny
07-16-2003, 08:27 AM
From the AP:
"Sipping on a beer at a cafe, Kota Ito was wearing a Chicago White Sox jersey in honor of the All-Star home stadium. The 39-year-old travel agent was thrilled Matsui got a hit. "

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-all-star-japan,0,6342408.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

kbriley
07-16-2003, 10:42 AM
When NOMO first went over to the MLB they used to show his games on the huge video screens in Shibuya and Shinjuku as people filed out of the train stations in Tokyo. Same thing with Ichiro. Now that Matsui is over in the MLB and the other Matsui will be there next year alot of fans like the MLB better than the Japan league. You can even subscribe to MLB satellite TV and watch MLB instead of the Yomiuri Giants.

I still have vivid memories of waking up at 5am to watch the SOX play the Mariners in the 2000 playoffs when I lived in Tokyo.

cheeses_h_rice
07-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by kbriley

I still have vivid memories of waking up at 5am to watch the SOX play the Mariners in the 2000 playoffs when I lived in Tokyo.

I bet you weren't too thrilled about how those games turned out, though. I'd be pretty pissed, myself!

kbriley
07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Not only did I have to get up at 5am, my wife used to work for the Mariners and is a big fan of theirs. Then I would get on the train and go to work for 14 hours. Not a great combination of events.

Foulke You
07-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by kbriley
Not only did I have to get up at 5am, my wife used to work for the Mariners and is a big fan of theirs. Then I would get on the train and go to work for 14 hours. Not a great combination of events.

I think that is White Sox "Purple Heart" worthy.