PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Sox Fans

valposoxfan
07-16-2003, 12:41 AM
One of my most memorable moments of the night was every single All-Star from the AL Central (Other than the White Sox of course) getting booed in the introductions. Just priceless. I loved that. And Dusty got outmanaged. That's great too. But I just love the fact that we are so competitive that we would boo all those guys. It makes me feel good to be a Sox fan... :smile:

VeeckAsInWreck
07-16-2003, 12:51 AM
I totally agree man. The AL Central players themselves got a good laugh from being booed.

Overall, it was an awesome game! It's good to see The Cell being associated with something good in baseball.

Thunderstruck30
07-16-2003, 12:53 AM
I also heard a few boos when Manuel was introduced. Cant say Im surprised.

sox_fan_forever
07-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I also heard a few boos when Manuel was introduced. Cant say Im surprised.

A few? There were TONS! My ears were ringing from all the boos directed at Manuel. Did you watch it on tv? I bet they turned down the crowd mics or something. I will have to watch my tape later.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-16-2003, 01:35 AM
I was in the LF bleachers in 160. I would say that the reaction was mixed. I was one of a few who actually cheered and clapped for JM.

However, I was surrounded by several Cubs/Cardinals/Brewers fans.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-16-2003, 01:42 AM
This just in:

On ESPN, Chris Berman gave it to Sox fans for booing several players and coaches.

He seemed angry that Sox fans booed Barry Bonds.

Dear Mr. Berman, Sox fans booed Barry because he refused to participate in the HR Derby.

Berman also pointed out that the Sox faithful booed Clemens.

Oh, well.

and finally..........He was upset because Sox fans booed AL Central players and Carl Everett was "cheered like he was Harold Baines."

Dear Mr. Berman,
Get your ears cleaned. Sure, Sox fans booed AL Central players but Carl Everett didn't recieve a better reception than Nomar Garciaparra.

indysoxfan
07-16-2003, 01:56 AM
chris berman can go to hell.

sox fans get nothing but abuse from the media.( our stadium sucks, the south side sucks, the owner sucks) everything is negative.

how does he expect sox fans to act.

i am proud of the sox fans at the park who gave it to dusty, to cubs players, to yankee players, and to bonds.

angry sox fans....YES

Lip Man 1
07-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Berman is the same guy who verbally castigated Sox fans for leaving in droves as the last of the 9th inning started in game #2 of the 2000 ALDS. He did play by play for that game and was spouting how "this is the offense that led the American League in runs.....yadda, yadda, yadda..."

What Chris didn't know and perhaps was to lazy to find out is that this organization was in the process of losing it's ninth straight home post season game.

If Chris would actually spend some time at Sox games, he hasn't been in the park since then, perhaps he'd realize the anger and frustration.

Screw his fat ass.

By the way apparently one Sox fan here on the WSI message boards agreed with Berman's opinion. This fan called Sox fans (and he is one himself) "classless."

Lip

indysoxfan
07-16-2003, 02:11 AM
"classless" well that SOB can go to hell too.

what the heck is a baseball game if you cant boo people you dont like...

ihatethecubs
07-16-2003, 04:50 AM
yeah he's fat

Nick@Nite
07-16-2003, 05:59 AM
Philly fans boo Mother Teresa and the Pope and hey, it simply adds to their "lore".

White Sox fans booing their legitimate AL Central competition and hey, we're classless.

DOUBLE STANDARD!

Also, Barry Bonds was born to be booed.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Chris Berman needs to get a clue

Kilroy
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Personally, I didn't boo anyone... except Clemens and Giambi. I hate the frickin Yankees, and Thomas should have gotten the spot that went to Giambi.

But I absolutley loved that Sox fans booed the division rivals and Wood, Prior and Dusty.

Sox fans are the same day in and day out, and I would have been surprised and a bit disgusted had the boos been cheers just because it was all star time. It was our house, and that's how we conduct ourselves, and Sox fans don't put on any phony courtesy for anyone.

As for Manuel getting booed, it was expected. I didn't like that too much because there's no doubt that Manuel knows that Sox fans aren't pleased. But I'm sure he expected it too. But again, Sox fans tell it like it is...

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 08:15 AM
Sox Fans Are PASSIONATE about their team and the sport.
Its really that simple. The Media themselves are surprised
because they were believing their own hype about the cubs.....
(that this is a one team town, we dont show up, we dont care)

xil357
07-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Chris Berman needs to get a clue

And needs to see a doctor about his severe case of rectal-cranial inversion.

Procol Harum
07-16-2003, 09:20 AM
I too was tickled pink as I was watching the game from the comfort of West Central DuPage when I heard the lusty boos directed at the Grubs' reps, Bonds, and all our division rivals. You could tell that they (perhaps w/ the exception of Bonds) all got a kick out of it as well--they realize that Sox fans are from a different cut of cloth than clueless, polyannish Cub fans. I can remember some other folks getting mild booing at an All-Star game, but nothing like that--and ya know what, I like it!!! Berman is a maroon ("You can put it on the board--Gone!!"), I don't think Everett got a louder hand than Garciaparra (in fact, he got perhaps the warmest reception of any of the AL All-Stars not repping the Pale Hose), and I actually felt like the crowd's boos were remarkably restrained when it came to the Yankee representatives, giving Giambi some recognition for his HR Derby achievements and an obnoxious creep like Clemens his due for his great career (if not his personality).

Keep being Sox fans, Sox fans!! :D:

34 Inch Stick
07-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Boo everyone you please at an event like this, but not your own. No matter how much I think Manuel should be fired he is a Sox and deserves respect in his home in the national spotlight. Boo him all you want on Thursday but last night was not appropriate (I also think you do not boo him on opening day).

kittle42
07-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Is this like not criticizing a stupid president during a war?

SluggersAway
07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Boo all you want, it was the best part of the game. I love Sox fans.

JM deserved it. We don't sugarcoat things, we tell it like it is.

Berman is a total moron.

And Bonds was booed for his asinine comments on the Babe and all the other reasons discussed it that thread lately.

QueerGirrl
07-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey, if you paid for your ticket you can boo who ever you want, when ever you want.

I love sox fans and being a sox fan because we tell it like is. We don't get suckered in by a bunch of bullcrap that the marketing department feeds us like the north siders do.

There will never be a time where a Cub can walk into our stadum and not get crusified. That's just the way it is and the way it should be.

ssang
07-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Screw Berman. He is the most overrated broadcaster/announcer out there. I never liked him even when he had a love affair with millions of Americans. I Can't stand the Swamee. It is the DUMBEST bit I've seen on sports televsion. What's the point of his Buffalo vs SF predictions every year for the superbowl ??? He's obviosly not serious and if Berman thinks it's funny....well it ain't. I hate his overblown antics and announcing. His nickname's are awful, unfunny and it sounds like he's making them just because that's "his thing". Berman sucks in every aspect!

JJAustin69
07-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Those annoying 'Bermanisms' have been the bane of sports media for years. Absolute torture to hear this guy call highlights. I hated it back when he started and I hate it now. I remember sometime in the late 80's, he was getting a lot of flack for being over the top and he toned it down a little. Not enough for me though. I think a circus somewhere is missing a clown.

brewcrew/chisox
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
In a strange way, booing is a form of flattery, especially when you consider the context of why it was given (and who it was coming from)at time last night.

Booing division rivals=you are our rivals, and you guys are good, so you prevent our team from winning the league. We must boo you.

All of the players seemed to embrace it too. A lot of them were laughing.

cheeses_h_rice
07-16-2003, 03:24 PM
The people I've seen complaining about the booing, for the most part, have been pisspants Flub fans or petulant Yankee fans who can't understand why someone would want to boo their precious players.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
In a strange way, booing is a form of flattery................

Booing division rivals=you are our rivals, and you guys are good, so you prevent our team from winning the league. We must boo you.

This doesnt make all that much sense. I hear Packer Fans
Booing the Bears, and Green Bay is much better than the Bears.
Cub Fans boo Frank Thomas for no real reason (other than hes
good friends with Sammy) though they dont really boo him
as much as we boo Sam-me

WhiteSox = Life
07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
as much as we boo Sam-me

Well, if you're getting booed, it's a lot more fun to take it as flattery (unless you absolutely love being the bad guy), isn't it?

:D:

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 04:46 PM
as much as we boo Sam-me

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that Frank Thomas likes Sammy Sosa. Frank would never say this, but I think he resents the way he has been treated by the Chicago media, especailly because they have kissed Sosa's ass for years.

Last month, Frank said that Sammy was "a friend." Yeah, right. Frank Thomas hates Sammy Sosa.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The more I think about it, the more I doubt that Frank Thomas likes Sammy Sosa. Frank would never say this, but I think he resents the way he has been treated by the Chicago media, especailly because they have kissed Sosa's ass for years.

Last month, Frank said that Sammy was "a friend." Yeah, right. Frank Thomas hates Sammy Sosa.

Ive seen them say mutually nice things about each other, so
I dont doubt it. Cant come down on them if their friends.
I'll still boo sammy for corking though heh heh

steff
07-16-2003, 05:06 PM
as much as we boo Sam-me

Frank and Sammy.. "good friends".. Hangar.. what are you smoking?!?!

steff
07-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Ive seen them say mutually nice things about each other, so
I dont doubt it. Cant come down on them if their friends.
I'll still boo sammy for corking though heh heh

Ever heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you". That's the only reason they say nice things about eachother.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Ever heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you". That's the only reason they say nice things about eachother.

hmmm, now im really curious about all this. I wonder
if anyones seen them like go out to dinner or anything.
also, I wonder if a "friendship" like this isnt good for their
chicago careers?

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 05:26 PM
chicago careers?

It's probably like the "friendship" Sham-me has with McGwire, where Soso proclaims it so much even though it doesn't exist that the other person is sort of bound to go along.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 05:29 PM
chicago careers?

Frank is one of the most ouspoken critics of the "chemical culture" that has overtaken baseball in recent years. I can't imagine he respects Sosa very much.

RKMeibalane
07-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Frank is one of the most ouspoken critics of the "chemical culture" that has overtaken baseball in recent years. I can't imagine he respects Sosa very much.

I agree. Frank has said several times that he thinks Major League Baseball needs to step it up with regards to drug and steroid testing. He has already said this year that the current testing methods aren't enough.

I would imagine that he is extremely suspicious of Sosa, because before 1998, Sammy never hit more than forty homeruns in a season. What's more, he was never able to hit them to the opposite field with power until '98. His sudden ability to do this leads me to believe that he has been juicing.

valposoxfan
07-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Berman deserved to get booed for his BRUTALLY long nonsense that he spoke leading up to the home run derby. His nicknames suck, he is a terrible broadcaster, and he is irritating. He is in love with himself and I personally can't stand him. I can't wait for the next time he comes to the South Side. Then he'll really know what it feels like to get booed.