PDA

View Full Version : Why its not all that bad

faneidde
07-15-2003, 09:48 PM
It seems such a far cry from 2 weeks ago, but the mood around here is terrible. I don't think its as bad as everyone thinks. The Sox just couldn't sustain their emotional pitch against the D-Rays, Tigers, and Indians, but there are still a lot of positives going into the 2nd half:

1. We're ahead of the Twins.
2. Paulie is starting to swing the bat well.
3. Mags is really starting to swing the bat well.
4. Koch is no longer the closer.
5. The Royals are not that good. They'll come back to earth.
6. We have one of the best 4-man starting rotations in baseball right now. Garland has always pitched much better the 2nd half, Buerhle is back, Colon is 5th in the AL in innings pitched, and Esteban started the All-Star game. Surely we have someone better than Danny Wrong.
7. We start the 2nd half with 4 games at home against the Tigers then we get Cleveland at home. A perfect way to start a 2nd half run, especially with KC and Minnesota each starting with Seattle and Oakland.

doublem23
07-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Excellent post. I don't know if the mood of the board is so much dread about trailing the might Royals as it is just frustration with the way the Sox have played at (most) times this season.

No fear... We're chasing Kansas City. They start Jose Lima every 5 days. :gulp:

TornLabrum
07-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
It seems such a far cry from 2 weeks ago, but the mood around here is terrible. I don't think its as bad as everyone thinks. The Sox just couldn't sustain their emotional pitch against the D-Rays, Tigers, and Indians, but there are still a lot of positives going into the 2nd half:

6. We have one of the best 4-man starting rotations in baseball right now. Garland has always pitched much better the 2nd half, Buerhle is back, Colon is 5th in the AL in innings pitched, and Esteban started the All-Star game. Surely we have someone better than Danny Wrong.
7. We start the 2nd half with 4 games at home against the Tigers then we get Cleveland at home. A perfect way to start a 2nd half run, especially with KC and Minnesota each starting with Seattle and Oakland.

And then I have to go and spoil it all by reminding you that Gen. Disarray is still the manager.

Konerkoholic
07-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Seeing as how the Sox are a good home team I think they'll start out hot. KC plays Seattle and Oakland out of the break. As bad as I felt after the Detroit series, I still feel the Sox have a good chance to take the division. They have the pitching. If the offense gets going again, they can go on a good run.

guillen4life13
07-16-2003, 12:49 AM

I agree with you, but I just think it's worth pointing out that we said the same thing about the Twins in 2001 and last year. Granted, in 2001, they did come back down to earth somewhat, finishing only one or two games ahead of us. The point is that there's a good chance the Royals won't come back down to earth until the playoffs, which the Sox will probably be absent from (unless they catch fire).

gosox41
07-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I agree with you, but I just think it's worth pointing out that we said the same thing about the Twins in 2001 and last year. Granted, in 2001, they did come back down to earth somewhat, finishing only one or two games ahead of us. The point is that there's a good chance the Royals won't come back down to earth until the playoffs, which the Sox will probably be absent from (unless they catch fire).

In 2000, a lot of people thought the Sox were going to fold. Maybe the Royals are for real.

Bob

gosox41
07-16-2003, 01:23 AM

I don't want to sound too negative, but there are other issues to look at:

1. JM is still manager.
2. KW is still GM
3. The team BA is about .245. How long have I heard that the bats will heat up?
3. The Sox are 7 games back with 68 to play. Not the best odds in the world.
4. They continuously fail to execute fundamental plays...for 3 years.
5. Where's the intensity? Even Walker mentioned how the hitters turn it on more late in the game against weak teams. It's obvious they don't care as much as they should. No killer instinct.
6. As great as Esteban has been, I bet he winds up with an ERA at least .75-1 run higher then it is now.

Bob

delben91
07-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

And then I have to go and spoil it all by reminding you that Gen. Disarray is still the manager.

There's always a catch isn't there?

Originally posted by gosox41

6. As great as Esteban has been, I bet he winds up with an ERA at least .75-1 run higher then it is now.

Bob

Even if he does, that puts his ERA at what? 3.25-3.50. That's still pretty darn good if you ask me.

hold2dibber
07-16-2003, 08:54 AM

There are plenty of reasons to think the Sox can get back in it. But there are plenty of reasons to think they won't, too. The Royals aren't that good, but they won't have to be that good to win this division. I think 85 wins might just do the trick. Can the Sox win 85? Yes - they clearly have the most talent in the division and should be an 85 to 90 win club. But under Manuel, this team (with the notable exception of 2000) never seems to play up to its talent level until its too late. That's why I am not optimistic.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 09:22 AM
YES. the TWO KEY STATEMENTS HERE are
the facts that KOCH ISNT CLOSING. he has blown so
many games, and is with each poor outing is himself losing confidence. and Yes, our 4 man Rotation is Very Very Good.
Playoff Good dare I say. If these bozos would just HIT,
everything else would take care of itself. Keep KOCH
away from the ball, and use everyone else, and we might
actually be ok.....