PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch Reinsdorf on ESPN radio?


BearSox
07-15-2003, 08:50 PM
I caught the end of his interview with Mac Jurko and Harry and was just curious of what he had to say about the current Sox situation

duke of dorwood
07-15-2003, 09:19 PM
He said there was no meaning regarding KW's "better start fast" in regards to the manager. Very little was said about the current team other than that

FJA
07-15-2003, 10:37 PM
He also said his favorite player is Tony Graffanino ... Harry joked, "Is it because he comes cheap?"

SluggersAway
07-15-2003, 11:28 PM
He told the Tribune that "KW did not say that Jerry Manuel was on the hot seat. What he said was that this team better get going."

But he also said he couldn't guarantee Jerry would finish the season.

TornLabrum
07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
He told the Tribune that "KW did not say that Jerry Manuel was on the hot seat. What he said was that this team better get going."

But he also said he couldn't guarantee Jerry would finish the season.

Translation: "Manuel could get hit tomorrow by a runaway bus."

Lip Man 1
07-16-2003, 12:49 AM
According to the story, Uncle Jerry declined to answer a comment that "he (Reinsdorf) can end all the speculation buy just coming out and saying that Manuel will finish the season."

Take that for what it's worth.

My thought was that Uncle Jerry has let everyone know that he is running the show. I wonder how Kenny's feeling tonight knowing he had his legs cut out from under him!

Funny that Uncle Jerry's the ONLY person among everyone who saw, read and heard Williams' comments (including the reporters who wrote the story in all the papers today) that drew that conclusion isn't it?

Did you expect anything different? He'd owe him salary through the end of the 2004 season.

Like I said Manager Gandhi's not going anywhere.

Lip

delben91
07-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Translation: "Manuel could get hit tomorrow by a runaway bus."

Anybody know any busdrivers?

Mammoo
07-16-2003, 09:52 AM
I've never heard a Reinsdorf interview where he had anything of substance to say. He cracks wise with Harry and dodges questions with double talk.

How pathetic when JR said he thinks the team is going to have a strong second half. Based on what? Their scintillating first half performance? The wondrous pre all-star road trip? It would have been nice if he was required ti amplify on that statement. :?:

I like MJH, but they suffer from major sack shrinkage when they are in the presence of the Chairman.

Paulwny
07-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo


I like MJH, but they suffer from major sack shrinkage when they are in the presence of the Chairman.

This is usually the norm.
Fear of cornering or embarrasing a man who has friends in high places, better to be nice and still collect a pay check.

duke of dorwood
07-16-2003, 10:15 AM
His reference to Jerry Krause who "would still be here if not for his health" is very disheartening. He presided over a dismantling and couldnt put it together, and would still be here. Does not bode well for removal of anyone that fails in his organization.

southpaw40
07-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Funny that Uncle Jerry's the ONLY person among everyone who saw, read and heard Williams' comments (including the reporters who wrote the story in all the papers today) that drew that conclusion isn't it?Lip

What's even funnier is that the reporters who wrote the story weren't the reporters who were present when Williams made the comments......how typical!

34 Inch Stick
07-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Is that why Krause refused to broadcast from the Berto Center during the SCORE's draft show. This happened even though host Dan Jiggets was live at the Berto Center. I think there is much more to the Krause story than meets the eye.

On the other hand, I think Jerry is here at least until the end of the season and will probably finish out that contract. Kenny will be a Sox employee for life.

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
How pathetic when JR said he thinks the team is going to have a strong second half. Based on what? Their scintillating first half performance? The wondrous pre all-star road trip? It would have been nice if he was required ti amplify on that statement. :?:


At least he's learned to be publicly optimistic. What do you want him to say, that anyone who thinks we can catch Kansas City is crazy?

Mammoo
07-16-2003, 11:04 AM
No...like I said...I want him to give reasons for his optimism. If he doesn't have any reasons then he's handing out his usual line of bull****. You can eat it if you want...I won't.

This is the guy who gave up on his team when they were only three games behind the Indians (White flag trade) so it wouldn't be without precedent if he did say he doubted they could catch the Royals!

captain54
07-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
He told the Tribune that "KW did not say that Jerry Manuel was on the hot seat. What he said was that this team better get going."

But he also said he couldn't guarantee Jerry would finish the season.

Come to think of it, I liked it better when we had the Reinsdorf Media Blackout for 6 month stretches....the lies, the hypocrisy, vintage Reinsdorf..

My best guess is that Reiney is under a gag order from the investor group....I'm sure they're all holding their breath when Reiney speaks, knowing that might mean a 5,000 or so season ticket fallout for next season....

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

This is the guy who gave up on his team when they were only three games behind the Indians (White flag trade) so it wouldn't be without precedent if he did say he doubted they could catch the Royals!

That was exactly my point ... he gets drilled for speaking his mind about the Indians in 1997, and now he gets drilled for being optimistic about catching the Royals. No wonder the guy never talks to the media it's the only way he avoids getting chastized.

I got pissed about what he said about catching Cleveland, and so to avoid being a hypocrite, I'm obligated to at least accept unfounded optimism. At the very least, get off his nads about it, even if you think it's BS.

captain54
07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That was exactly my point ... he gets drilled for speaking his mind about the Indians in 1997, and now he gets drilled for being optimistic about catching the Royals.


We're going to have to take you back to class...and your first lesson in Reiney 101 is "ReineySpeak"..

From 20 + years of listening to Reinsdorf in the media, I can safely say I have NEVER heard Reinsdorf really speak his mind...what comes out of his mouth is a bunch of contrived, manipulative, carefully calculated bull****....

this man has been caught in so many lies and contradictions it makes me want to puke....

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by captain54
From 20 + years of listening to Reinsdorf in the media, I can safely say I have NEVER heard Reinsdorf really speak his mind...what comes out of his mouth is a bunch of contrived, manipulative, carefully calculated bull****....


So what, his declaration that we couldn't catch Cleveland was contrived and calculated how exactly? It certainly worked wonders for PR. Please. He spoke his mind and got blasted for it (as he should have) and now speaks calculatedly, I agree. All I'm saying is you can't have it both ways, either blast hm for calculating or blast him for not holding his tongue.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So what, his declaration that we couldn't catch Cleveland was contrived and calculated how exactly? It certainly worked wonders for PR. Please. He spoke his mind and got blasted for it (as he should have) and now speaks calculatedly, I agree. All I'm saying is you can't have it both ways, either blast hm for calculating or blast him for not holding his tongue.

Yep, and until he proves he isn't just in it for the money, thus will it ever be...

Rocklive99
07-16-2003, 03:35 PM
JR was also asked about how he feels about those who say they wont go to a Sox game unless he sells the team and he answered by saying they should get about 40,000 people together and all send checks into him, I guess to buy the team, as a joke.

captain54
07-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So what, his declaration that we couldn't catch Cleveland was contrived and calculated how exactly?


His way of justifying dumping three players who were looking for bigger money after the season and beyond....

BTW, I don't buy the whole "loyalty" bit we hear to be synonymous with Reinsdorf.....

keeping lackeys around who do what they are told, get paid for whatever you feel like paying them, and who work their ass off, even if they are incompetent, is not my idea of "loyalty", it's called "opportunism".....

gosox41
07-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
At least he's learned to be publicly optimistic. What do you want him to say, that anyone who thinks we can catch Kansas City is crazy?

Yeah. Tell it like it is. I hope to heck we catch KC. But if I were betting on which of the two teams would make the playoffs (or finish with a better record if Minnesota gets turned around) I'd put my money on KC. The Sox have yet to address their biggest hole and that's the manager.

Bob

gosox41
07-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So what, his declaration that we couldn't catch Cleveland was contrived and calculated how exactly? It certainly worked wonders for PR. Please. He spoke his mind and got blasted for it (as he should have) and now speaks calculatedly, I agree. All I'm saying is you can't have it both ways, either blast hm for calculating or blast him for not holding his tongue.

Maybe JR should keep his mouth shut and start working on ways to win.

Bob

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Maybe JR should keep his mouth shut and start working on ways to win.

Bob

I guess you fall under the "blast him for not holding his tongue" camp.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I guess you fall under the "blast him for not holding his tongue" camp.

No, that's the "blast him for being a profiteering bastard who doesn't really give a crap about winning like he has claimed in the past" camp...

Talk, don't talk, we don't care. Just win baby and then you can talk all you want to, or not - just so long as your team wins consistently.

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, that's the "blast him for being a profiteering bastard who doesn't really give a crap about winning like he has claimed in the past" camp...


That's true, he really hasn't done much to try to win lately, has he? Let's see, what should he have done?

First, he ought to re-sign the best hitter in franchise history ... Oh wait, he did that.

He should definitely lock up a young hitter who goes for both power and average who is immensely popular ... Oh right, he did that too.

Well, every good team starts with pitching. Perhaps he should spend the money to acquire a Cy Young candidate? Oh, silly me, we did that. Two out of the last three years, actually.

Hmm. Bullpens are key too. He should have been willing to spend the money to upgrade the closer's role. Oh look at that, he traded for a more expensive closer. So much for that idea.

How about big name acquisitions? A Hall of Fame second baseman would be nice ... Check. How about trading for an All Star hitter? Hey, check there too.

Clearly, JR has been tying KW's hands.

Look, many of the aforementioned moves haven't exactly panned out, but it's not for lack of effort or desire. Reinsy will never be confused with The Boss, but JR is not to blame for this team. That lies on KW, JM and the players.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That's true, he really hasn't done much to try to win lately, has he? Let's see, what should he have done?

First, he ought to re-sign the best hitter in franchise history ... Oh wait, he did that.

He should definitely lock up a young hitter who goes for both power and average who is immensely popular ... Oh right, he did that too.

Well, every good team starts with pitching. Perhaps he should spend the money to acquire a Cy Young candidate? Oh, silly me, we did that. Two out of the last three years, actually.

Hmm. Bullpens are key too. He should have been willing to spend the money to upgrade the closer's role. Oh look at that, he traded for a more expensive closer. So much for that idea.

How about big name acquisitions? A Hall of Fame second baseman would be nice ... Check. How about trading for an All Star hitter? Hey, check there too.

Clearly, JR has been tying KW's hands.

Look, many of the aforementioned moves haven't exactly panned out, but it's not for lack of effort or desire. Reinsy will never be confused with The Boss, but JR is not to blame for this team. That lies on KW, JM and the players.

And all of that means squat until his team wins the division and makes a run in the playoffs. He is already making noises about a firesale and about JM's job being safe.

How come we fans have to keep putting up with his "on the job" training for key managerial positions?

How come KW has to make trades that insist on the team not taking on any more salary?

Do you believe that JR will allow KW to increase payroll this summer if it is the difference between winning and losing the division?

Do you believe JR will allow KW to resign all of these players or force him to go younger and cheaper?

Do you believe JR will pick up Frank's option or force the big man to either take the lower salary or walk away?

Nice that the team is being more active in the trading and FA markets, but what do we fans have to show for it? Whose fault is that?

Foulke was actually more expensive than Koch and they dumped him for that reason. Whether you like the trade or not, don't discount JR's cheapness in that decision.

What about signing long term pitching contracts? Isn't that the normal way successful teams operate?

:selljerry

captain54
07-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Reinsy will never be confused with The Boss, but JR is not to blame for this team. That lies on KW, JM and the players.

:reinsy

"hey, you forgot the real culprits...those pathetic, cheap fans."

"Pay attention to my marketing campaigns lately...no mention of how cool it is to watch a championship caliber ballclub on the road to the World Series...I'd rather focus on the pure entertainment value...."

"God, I'm so brilliant..if I could I would kiss myself and watch it all on "KISSCAM"....

gosox41
07-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That's true, he really hasn't done much to try to win lately, has he? Let's see, what should he have done?



Hmm. Bullpens are key too. He should have been willing to spend the money to upgrade the closer's role. Oh look at that, he traded for a more expensive closer. So much for that idea.

How about big name acquisitions? A Hall of Fame second baseman would be nice ... Check. How about trading for an All Star hitter? Hey, check there too.

Clearly, JR has been tying KW's hands.

Look, many of the aforementioned moves haven't exactly panned out, but it's not for lack of effort or desire. Reinsy will never be confused with The Boss, but JR is not to blame for this team. That lies on KW, JM and the players.

Trying and doing are 2 different things. Sure the Sox got Koch. But I said it was a stupid move at the time. Guess who's right there.

As for the Hall of Fame second basemen, you for got to add "on the downside of his career." The Sox could have gone after better talent (ie Luis Castillo).

I do blame JR more then Manuel and KW. Those two guys rose to their level of incompetence and should have been let go awhile ago. It's not their fault they still have jobs. If someone paid me six figures to manage a baseball team I'd do it to until I was canned.

Bob

Bob

MarqSox
07-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Trying and doing are 2 different things. Sure the Sox got Koch. But I said it was a stupid move at the time. Guess who's right there.


I agree, and felt the same way at the time. But that's KW's problem, not JR's.

voodoochile
07-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I agree, and felt the same way at the time. But that's KW's problem, not JR's.

Who hired KW as a rookie GM?