PDA

View Full Version : A couple notes from Great Falls

Daver
07-15-2003, 06:12 PM
The Sox Rookie League affliliate in the Pioneer League.

GREAT FALLS (PIO) For the second consecutive game, OF RICARDO NANITA extended his hitting streak with just one hit as the White Sox dropped a 5-2 decision to the Billings Mustangs. Nanita, who ended up 1-for-5 with two strikeouts, led off the third inning with a single and scored an unearned run from second base on a wild pitch and an error by the catcher. He has now hit safely in 24 straight games, tying him with Idaho Falls' Steven Chavez for the longest streak in the Pioneer League since 1996. RHP BRANDON MCCARTHY struck out 11 batters over six frames in a no-decision outing for Great Falls. The 20-year-old, who allowed two runs and eight hits, posted double-digit strikeouts for the third time in his last four outings, and leads the circuit with 53 over 38 innings.

MarkEdward
07-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Sox Rookie League affliliate in the Pioneer League.

I may have asked this before, but is Great Falls a hitters' or pitchers' park?

maurice
07-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Nanita was 1-for-4 with a triple, a sacrifice, and four RBI on Monday. Great value pick.

With Nanita, Anderson, King, and Bounds, there's no room for Sweeney at Great Falls. Will Sweeney be assigned to Bristol? Will Anderson take Webster's place at Kanny (assuming Texas takes him)? Why do they call them APARTments when they're all stuck together? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2003, 07:35 PM
I live 45 miles from Idaho Falls and have made arrangements the next time Great Falls comes in to see what they have. I'll also be speaking with pitching coach Rich Dotson.

Lip

Daver
07-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Nanita was 1-for-4 with a triple, a sacrifice, and four RBI on Monday. Great value pick.

With Nanita, Anderson, King, and Bounds, there's no room for Sweeney at Great Falls. Will Sweeney be assigned to Bristol? Will Anderson take Webster's place at Kanny (assuming Texas takes him)? Why do they call them APARTments when they're all stuck together? Inquiring minds want to know.

I would think he would be assigned to Bristol,it is low rookie ball,Great Falls is high Rookie ball,as a HS pick I would assume Sweeney would start at the lowest level.Usually only guys with significant college experience go straight to high rookie ball.

Randar68
07-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by daver
I would think he would be assigned to Bristol,it is low rookie ball,Great Falls is high Rookie ball,as a HS pick I would assume Sweeney would start at the lowest level.Usually only guys with significant college experience go straight to high rookie ball.

Sweeney will be assigned to Bristol for 2 weeks before being promoted to Great Falls. He will report on Thursday at Bristol. Consider it an adjustment period. My guess is Webster goes to Winston-Salem and Anderson (but perhaps Nanita, although he is a bit of a project, so I doubt it) moves to Kannapolis to make room for Sweeney at the end of those 2 weeks. This would be similar to the way they moved Reed up last season.

NC_sox_fan
07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I live 45 miles from Idaho Falls and have made arrangements the next time Great Falls comes in to see what they have. I'll also be speaking with pitching coach Rich Dotson.

Lip

Lip, try to talk with their manager, Chris Cron. He is a great guy! He managed the best Sox team we've had in Winston-Salem back in 1998 (Joe Crede was here that year). Tell Chris his friends in Winston said hello and that we will be expecting him HERE next year!

toledosoxfan
07-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Noticed that Sweeney started at DH for Bristol yesterday (from ESPN minors website). Went 0-4.

Welcome to professional baseball Mr. Sweeney.

TheRockinMT
07-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Brian Anderson has not started at Great falls for a number of games now. According to sources he aggravated an old college injury to his wrist or hand when sliding. The manager said it wasn't anything serious, but were going to be careful and have Anderson sit for a few games, which now has been about a week so the question is has it responded or is it worse than originally thought?