PDA

View Full Version : Tribune reporting Williams comments as an ultimatum.

JJAustin69
07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Looks like Manuel is officially on the ropes.

JC456
07-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Where did you see the article? I'd love to know.

JJAustin69
07-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Chicagosports.com As of 11:41PM

Viva Magglio
07-15-2003, 01:34 AM
For those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/?track=ctsportstab)

Based upon KW's comments, I would gather that a Wednesday firing will not happen. It appears that he is giving Manuel a chance to right the ship after the break first.

JC456
07-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks. I found it right after I read the post. Great post. 7 games and we might have ourselves a new manager. I can't see this guy succeeding. He is consistantly mis-managing the lineup and bullpen. We have all kinds of talent here and it is going to waste with a nobody manager. That is ridiculous. :angry:

JJAustin69
07-15-2003, 02:09 AM
I agree. There is no way this team should be below .500. It is definitely time to make a change. To my thinking, we should have had another Central Division championship or two. Getting handled by the likes of Minnesota and KC is an embarrassment.

valposoxfan
07-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Dammit just do it already!!! KW is just setting this team up to fall apart by keeping JM as manager. Do the deed already and get a new manager as soon as possible. :angry:

DrCrawdad
07-15-2003, 07:22 AM
IMO KW was steamed that Manuel was put on the coaching staff for this years ASG. Having Manuel on the staff handcuffed KW on possibly firing Manuel.

TornLabrum
07-15-2003, 07:45 AM
The pessimist in me sees an alternative hypothesis. Nowhere does Williams identify where the changes are going to be made. It could be that if the team does not perform up to expectations in the first few series after the break, it will be the roster that is changed and not the manager.

The optimist in me sees the criticism leveled at Manuel on the postgame show Saturday, in particular by Melton, but not contradicted at all by Dave Wills. I find talk like this as a signal that Manuel is finally on the hotseat.

ssang
07-15-2003, 08:55 AM
This actually pisses me off. It shows that KW and the Sox know Jerry must be fired yet, they're STILL GIVING HIM EVERY CHANCE TO BE THE MANAGER!!! How many times must he screw us up before the change is made? If the Sox lose right after the break he'll be fired. Great, but why waste 5-6 games off the bat?? In all honesty, it might be too late at that point for a turnaround! But what if the Sox have success right after the break? That would be nice but at the same time it means that Ghandi will still be managing and he'll just screw things up later on this season!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: . Why can't they just fire him?!?! FRUSTRATION! This is a bad idea to give Manuel another chance. DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

hold2dibber
07-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ssang
This actually pisses me off. It shows that KW and the Sox know Jerry must be fired yet, they're STILL GIVING HIM EVERY CHANCE TO BE THE MANAGER!!! How many times must he screw us up before the change is made? If the Sox lose right after the break he'll be fired. Great, but why waste 5-6 games off the bat?? In all honesty, it might be too late at that point for a turnaround! But what if the Sox have success right after the break? That would be nice but at the same time it means that Ghandi will still be managing and he'll just screw things up later on this season!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: . Why can't they just fire him?!?! FRUSTRATION! This is a bad idea to give Manuel another chance. DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

You're exactly right. The problem with this plan is that the games in question are at home. The Sox have been pretty good at home - it's on the road that they utterly suck. So, if the Sox continue with their trend thus far this year, they do well on the homestand right after the break, Manuel keeps his job and then they bomb again when they go on the road. What does that accomplish? The 3-7 road trip against bottom dwellers should have been the last straw.

And I say all this despite the fact that I don't hold Manuel primarily responsible for this team's performance thus far. The players on this team, for whatever reason, simply have no cajones, no killer instinct, no burning desire to win. With that said, I think a new manager is the best chance there is to try to breath some life into these guys, because they're sure as hell not getting it from JM.

And by the way, the paper speculates that Fregosi, Buddy Bell and Terry Francona would be the leading candidates to replace JM. Francona, I think, would be good. Fregosi would be okay. Bell would a HUGE mistake. And I'd still rather have Davey Johnson or Jim Leyland over any of them.

Dan H
07-15-2003, 10:08 AM
The Sox probably don't want to fire Manuel right in the middle of the All-Star game that is being played at their park. But he should be fired as soon as possible. He is not the manager this team needs at the moment, and that won't change with a good homestand.

I also agree that Manuel shouldn't be the scapegoat. The Sox came off a good stretch against some winning teams only lose series to Tampa Bay and Detroit. Many of the core players on this team won the division in 2000. Don't they remember what that was like? Shouldn't there be some kind of fire in the belly to do it again? Why do they need Manuel to motivate them? Or maybe this team isn't as good as we thought or hoped? Was 2000 just a fluke? It is time for these mopes to prove themselves no matter who is the manager.

mandmandm
07-15-2003, 10:14 AM
8-3 before the next day off sounds reasonable.

voodoochile
07-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
The Sox probably don't want to fire Manuel right in the middle of the All-Star game that is being played at their park. But he should be fired as soon as possible. He is not the manager this team needs at the moment, and that won't change with a good homestand.

I also agree that Manuel shouldn't be the scapegoat. The Sox came off a good stretch against some winning teams only lose series to Tampa Bay and Detroit. Many of the core players on this team won the division in 2000. Don't they remember what that was like? Shouldn't there be some kind of fire in the belly to do it again? Why do they need Manuel to motivate them? Or maybe this team isn't as good as we thought or hoped? Was 2000 just a fluke? It is time for these mopes to prove themselves no matter who is the manager.

I am going to point a finger here, and probably get leveled in the process...

I think Magglio needs to step it up and start acting like the team leader.

His numbers and ability clearly mark him as the most talented of the regular players right now. He has shown the ability to be a leader with his t-shirts during Spring Training. Now he needs to start doing it in the dugout on a regular basis. That means a couple of changes in his game, too. No more watching his homeruns leave the park, hit the ball and run. No more unnecessary sliding catches in the outfield - yeah, do it when it is called for, but stop circling the ball so you can look pretty when you catch it. Finally, he is going to have to get more vocal in the dugout. Maggs, you are a great player, now time to step up and act like a great leader.

kevingrt
07-15-2003, 10:51 AM
If we lose 5 out of 8 to the Tiggers, Tribe, & Jays look for Manuel to be gone when the Sox come back to Chicago on the 25th to take on Tampa Bay. Thats my prediction.

Scotty347
07-15-2003, 11:03 AM
This clown isn't going anywhere until after this season is over or until we are 14 games out and finished. How many times have we been speculating about Manuel's demise this year? It's getting a little ridiculous.

valposoxfan
07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Does anyone think that despite the comments in today's paper, KW may be putting up a front and still will fire him on Wednesday??? I mean it could happen. Most other GM's would have fired their manager moments after they stepped off the plane from a horrendus road trip such as the one we witnessed last week. Then again, this is the Sox...but I'm still holding out hope for Wednesday.

Mammoo
07-15-2003, 11:42 AM
KW in the Cubune says:

"I've believed in the talent from Day One. I continue to believe in it. But we'd better get our stuff together and we'd better get it together in a hurry at the start of the second half."

Looks like he's giving Manuel another week to completely eliminate the Hose of Paleness!

It appears he'll eventually dump him, but it will be too late. :angry:

Wait till next year, Sox fans! :(:

ssang
07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
KW in the Cubune says:

"I've believed in the talent from Day One. I continue to believe in it. But we'd better get our stuff together and we'd better get it together in a hurry at the start of the second half."

Looks like he's giving Manuel another week to completely eliminate the Hose of Paleness!

It appears he'll eventually dump him, but it will be too late. :angry:

Wait till next year, Sox fans! :(:

It's true. If this is how Williams sees things then by the time he fires Manuel it will be too late. DAMNIT! Or the Sox come out with a few victories and Manuel stays on board, only to screw things up down the stretch. Either way you look at it this is a lose/lose situation for the Sox. The only way to handle this ,IMO, is to fire Manuel as soon as the last out is made in the All-Star game!

Lip Man 1
07-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Dan:

You ask was 2000 a fluke? The answer is a resounding yes. (and I and others said it at the time...)

Manager Gandhi will be fired eventually but not now. Part of the reason could be the owner demanding Gandhi get every chance possible. Remember the owner signed off on him six years ago. Ultimately it was his call.

Lip

WinningUgly!
07-15-2003, 02:05 PM
"They'd better do the job—otherwise they will have to fit me for a straitjacket by October," Williams said.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/STRAITJACKET.JPG

duke of dorwood
07-15-2003, 02:20 PM
The ship has been "not righted" since the end of 2000. This guy has not been able to win a weak division. End it now, right on the field, with all watching. Tonight. Why waste 1 more game?