PDA

View Full Version : Watching HR Contest

Lip Man 1
07-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Watching the home run contest showed me quite clearly a new upper deck is needed particulary along the lines of the old Comiskey Park.

You simply have no perspective to measure how far or how high a ball is going because there is nothing close to compare it to. The current lower decks are below the level of flight so it gets lost in the blue.

Hopefully in the next few years this will be rectified. Hitting a ball against the back of the concourse simply doesn't have the same effect as smacking it towards the top of the upper deck.

Just my opinion.

Lip

Brian26
07-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Take some architecture courses, Lip.

The Cell is one upper deck away from being the Riverfront, Three Rivers, Busch, Vet, and Fulton County of the new millenium. An Upper deck would look stupid based on the current design. Unless you're going to tear the whole thing down and start over, they should keep it like it is.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2003, 10:12 PM
And pray tell what firm do you work for and for how long?

Lip

fquaye149
07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
maybe we need an upper deck there, but for the reasons of home runs looking cool? especially when we're struggling to draw crowds of 20,000 in a stadium that holds like 40 some k already?

i don't know about that

Brian26
07-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
And pray tell what firm do you work for and for how long?

Lip

I own a master's degree in civil engineering, and I'm a registered/licensed professional engineer in the state of Illinois.

What are your qualifications?

Lip Man 1
07-14-2003, 10:20 PM
FQ:

I don't mean another or bigger upper deck. I mean (and what has been rumored) an upper deck "home run porch" stretching along the right field line into center field. Perhaps just on that side, lower to the playing field.

They could tear out the upper deck overhang along the right field foul pole and rip out the top ten levels of seats in the upper deck around the rest of the stadium to compensate seating wise.

It just looked empty watching balls travel into "nothing."

Just my opinion. (Although I'm sure Brian "The Expert" will disagree with it. LOL)

Lip

MarqSox
07-14-2003, 10:32 PM
For what it's worth, I'm with the "keep it as it is" crowd. A home run porch wouldn't be awful per se, but I don't think it's necessary. Just my personal opinion.

1951Campbell
07-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
For what it's worth, I'm with the "keep it as it is" crowd. A home run porch wouldn't be awful per se, but I don't think it's necessary. Just my personal opinion.

I agree. And look at the bright side...if the Cell has Riverfront's lifespan, we only have to put up about 20 more years. Hopefully then the new owner will knock down the last of the pre-retro era parks--ours.