PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Bernitz Traded to the.....

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 05:04 PM
.....Dodgers. Cubs front office almost makes the Sox front office look competent. Don't know if it was reported here but rumors were all over ESPN 1000 this past weekend.

MarqSox
07-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
.....Dodgers. Cubs front office almost makes the Sox front office look competent.

If you're implying the Cubs were stupid for not getting Burnitz, that's nuts. Burnitz is my pick for the very worst regular starter in all of baseball. The guy's swing is horrendous, his defense makes Caballo look like a gold glover and to top it off, he's arrogant.

MHOUSE
07-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Who else was involved in the deal?

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Burnitz has cut down his strikeouts this season, and he's actually having a pretty solid offensive season.

However, I wasn't sure why the Cubs were interested in a guy who would be an awful centerfielder.

This move makes a lot of sense for the Dodgers. They are struggling offensively, so it can't hurt.

kermittheefrog
07-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
If you're implying the Cubs were stupid for not getting Burnitz, that's nuts. Burnitz is my pick for the very worst regular starter in all of baseball. The guy's swing is horrendous, his defense makes Caballo look like a gold glover and to top it off, he's arrogant.

Word, no one needs a guy with a .344 OBP and 925 OPS.

Jerry_Manuel
07-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Dodgers also signed Rickey Henderson.

StepsInSC
07-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Rickey Henderson........

The word `retire` must not be in his vocabulary.

MarqSox
07-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Rickey Henderson........

The word `retire` must not be in his vocabulary.

Rickey be Rickey, but Rickey also still be more productive than most reserve players in baseball.

WinningUgly!
07-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Who else was involved in the deal?

Mets acquired 2B Victor Diaz, RHP Joselo Diaz and RHP Kole Strayhorn from the Dodgers for Burnitz.

MHOUSE
07-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Mets acquired 2B Victor Diaz, RHP Joselo Diaz and RHP Kole Strayhorn from the Dodgers for Burnitz.

What's their story? Anything good there?

MarkEdward
07-15-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Originally posted by MHOUSE

What's their story? Anything good there?

They didn't get much (they got better players in the Alomar trade, imo). Victor Diaz is the best of the bunch, but not a top prospect. Strayhorn and Joselo Diaz are A-ball pitching prospects, so nothing's special about them. Strayhorn does throw a 97 MPH fastball though.

Edit: Good day to be a Dodgers' fan. Henderson won't start but is a huge help anyway. If I'm Jim Tracy, I'd put Brian Jordan in left (is he injured?), Burnitz in center, and Green in right. It's not great defensively, but considering their middle infielders, they need all the offense that they can get.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'd put Brian Jordan in left (is he injured?)

Yes, he is out for the season.

Check It Out (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4823/news)

MarkEdward
07-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Yes, he is out for the season.

Check It Out (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4823/news)

Yeah, I kind of thought so. With that in mind, I'd put Shawn Green in left, Dave Roberts in center, and Burnitz in right. You could also do Kinkade in left, Burnitz in center, and Green in right.

Randar68
07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Yeah, I kind of thought so. With that in mind, I'd put Shawn Green in left, Dave Roberts in center, and Burnitz in right. You could also do Kinkade in left, Burnitz in center, and Green in right.

Dodger's Stadium has a huge OF. They need someone who can cover some ground in CF. Burnitz ain't it.

xil357
07-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Maybe so, but it doesn't take much to be a good CF in the Urinal because the wall isn't as far away as that of most other parks. Also, because the foul territory is so much smaller than most parks, the corner outfielders can play one or two steps in toward center. A CF in Wrigley doesn't have to cover as much ground. Carlos Lee or Maggs or Burnitz could be successful defensive CFs in Wrigley. That's why truly average and below average OFs seem to do a bit better as CFs in Wrigley (Jerome Walton?)

(Now the preponderance for swinging for the short fences with Sandberg Baskets and popping up or striking out instead looms large as a challenge at the Urinal, too)

Speaking of swinging for the fences and Sandberg, at the 1990 Home Run Derby at the Urinal, Ryne Sandberg was the winner with 7. The reason why is that everyone else like Canseco and McGwire and Matt Williams -- less accustomed to day baseball -- was swinging for the fences and popping out. Sandberg, being the Cubs veteran who played half of his MLB games in the Urinal -- and the vast majority of them during the day (The Derby was during the day as well) -- did exactly what he needed to do to put on a "show," pulled the ball 375 feet down the LF line, which is good enough to get it to Waveland and get oodles of "ooohs" and "aaaaahhhs." Sweet revenge came later that day, though, when Dick Allen homered to power the AL old-timers over the NL geezers, and Ernie Banks kept making errors in the field.

baseballboy
07-15-2003, 12:56 PM
What to do with Dave Roberts? I mean you have to put Burnitz in CF with Shawn Green in right. Rickey Henderson can only play left, unless they got him to be a pinch runner/hitter bench guy. I understand the Burnitz move, but I don't understand the Henderson move at all. I think Danny Evans is much worse than KW as a GM. I heard that he gave up some good prospects in return for Burnitz. We will have to see on that.

voodoochile
07-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by baseballboy
What to do with Dave Roberts? I mean you have to put Burnitz in CF with Shawn Green in right. Rickey Henderson can only play left, unless they got him to be a pinch runner/hitter bench guy. I understand the Burnitz move, but I don't understand the Henderson move at all. I think Danny Evans is much worse than KW as a GM. I heard that he gave up some good prospects in return for Burnitz. We will have to see on that.

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

baseballboy
07-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Thank you Voodoochile!

MarkEdward
07-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by baseballboy

Henderson will be used as an occasional starter/pinch hitter, so he really doesn't affect Dave Roberts at all. Roberts will still play everyday.

Also, they got Burnitz and Henderson for nothing. Henderson signed on for about 500000$, and they gave up three grade-C prospects for Burnitz.

Finally, welcome.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Henderson has now played for every California team, except the Giants. He's played with Oakland several times, San Diego, twice, and the Angels, once. Now that he's in Los Angeles, the Giants are the only team left.